Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LcfcOk

The gym

6 hours ago, TJQuik said:

Anyone feel like their relationship with the gym is pretty unhealthy? Most people lay into themselves for never exercising but their lives are probably better overall than those of us who do it almost every day.

I guess it's different for everyones individual needs. I'll do 3x strength sessions per week, 2 full body and 1 uppers. I then run 1-2x per week which will move up to 3-4x per week as the weather improves. If I miss a session there's an element of guilt but I think about it as a flexible process where I can adapt my week or the coming week to meet those needs. I've missed a lot of running recently due to work and weather, which I haven't felt guilty about, but I have started to slightly obsess over my diet in an unhealthy manner because I'm having negative thoughts about my body mass and body image. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TJQuik said:

Anyone feel like their relationship with the gym is pretty unhealthy? Most people lay into themselves for never exercising but their lives are probably better overall than those of us who do it almost every day.

Definitely can be an issue.  As I mentioned before in this thread I actually managed to do myself some fairly significant long term damage by over training during lockdown.  The minute I stopped working out I felt guilty about it.  Absolute madness.  

However, that has enabled me to now reframe how I do stuff at the gym and have a much healthier relationship with exercise generally.  I found seeing a professional to help me maximise the benefits of what I am doing and to remind me that missing the odd session and taking rest days are not a problem.  

Doing it in this way, and doing things I enjoy in the gym, I find it by far the best way to de-stress and maintain a healthier mind.  

Literally this morning woke up feeling anxious for no reason, took myself off to the gym for a bit and feel much better.  It's all about balance I think.

• 7 months later...

Back in the gym after a few months off after I got married. Feel great, off work for the next few weeks before I start a new job and being able to take time to do weights, cardio and then a swim in the mid morning instead of having to cram it all in before/after work is absolutely phenomenal. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Back in the gym after a few months off after I got married. Feel great, off work for the next few weeks before I start a new job and being able to take time to do weights, cardio and then a swim in the mid morning instead of having to cram it all in before/after work is absolutely phenomenal. 

Big time it’s hard working full time and working out. I hate doing it post work so it’s a case of getting up at 5:30am

Been back at it on a solid routine for about a year now and seeing decent results.

Leg day today which I always dread due to how hard it is but generally it’s the best work out.

Deadlifts, squats, lunges, leg press, calve raise super sets along with 4 others that I can’t remember the name of. Literally feel sick typing this all out right now lol 

• 1 month later...

So a bit of back story. Ive been working from home now for approx 5 years. i was a big lad when i started but i am now just over 17 stone and in the last few weeks ive felt really drained, no energy and no drive to do anything. So ive decided to get back onto the healthy eating and fitness life. I lost over 2 stone approx 10 years ago but then life happened and i put it all back on and more.

My biggest problem is food. I dont drink any hot drinks (drink water all day every day and always have). Alcohol i can honestly say i go weeks without a drop. Just not bothered. My biggest problem is snacking and stuffing my face with crisps and biscuits whilst working.

So i have now got more fruit in the house alongside protein yoghurts. 

My question is can anyone suggest good alternative foods i can eat between meals. As i fear that solely eating apples and bananas will soon get boring.

I remember when i lost the weight before my friend recommended eating Choc Biscotti biscuits (the baby biscuits) for when you have that choc craving. Which worked great before so i will buy some more of them. But is there anything else i could look to have?

Also any good recommendations on exercises i can do at the gym that will help with weight loss. Most of my body fat is in my gut.

5 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

My biggest problem is snacking and stuffing my face with crisps and biscuits

5 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Also any good recommendations on exercises i can do at the gym that will help with weight loss.

I think research has shown you are not going to rid yourself of excess weight through the gym alone. Certainly a help in increasing metabolic rate provided your heart rate increases, but is probably more helpful in toning the body.

Realistically, you are going to have to cut the unhealthy snacks you are currently eating. Apples and bananas may get boring, but given the variety of fruit readily available in supermarkets (or prepared fruit salads, unless you mix your own), try experimenting with fruit you are unfamiliar with. There must be 20 fruits readily available to provide healthier options. (Separately, could breakfast, lunch be 'better' to help you through to you evening mea

Sorry if this seems a bit "nanny-state", but just trying to help you achieve your goals :)

4 hours ago, oxford blue said:

I think research has shown you are not going to rid yourself of excess weight through the gym alone. Certainly a help in increasing metabolic rate provided your heart rate increases, but is probably more helpful in toning the body.

Realistically, you are going to have to cut the unhealthy snacks you are currently eating. Apples and bananas may get boring, but given the variety of fruit readily available in supermarkets (or prepared fruit salads, unless you mix your own), try experimenting with fruit you are unfamiliar with. There must be 20 fruits readily available to provide healthier options. (Separately, could breakfast, lunch be 'better' to help you through to you evening mea

Sorry if this seems a bit "nanny-state", but just trying to help you achieve your goals :)

Don't apologise this is the sort of thing I need to try out. I've brought some melon to try and more variety of vegetables. Had haddock, mountain of veg and 4 new potatoes for dinner and just been for a swim.

So in theory then just changing my diet without the gym I should see results. So going to the gym will only benefit me in the long run. 

The main reason I wanted to join the gym wasn't really to lose weight it was just to regain some energy back. But now I've started I can see myself losing weight easily providing my diet stays good. 

Just need to find something better for breakfast. Had toast this morning but want to try and cut carbs

26 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Don't apologise this is the sort of thing I need to try out. I've brought some melon to try and more variety of vegetables. Had haddock, mountain of veg and 4 new potatoes for dinner and just been for a swim.

So in theory then just changing my diet without the gym I should see results. So going to the gym will only benefit me in the long run. 

The main reason I wanted to join the gym wasn't really to lose weight it was just to regain some energy back. But now I've started I can see myself losing weight easily providing my diet stays good. 

Just need to find something better for breakfast. Had toast this morning but want to try and cut carbs

Are you logging calories or not? Essentially you can eat whatever you want and lose weight as long as you eat less calories than you consume. I was 20 stone when I was 21. Lost 8 stone and have maintained since then by eating what I want but counting calories. I do tend to eat well though with a high protein diet but I don’t restrict. Diet is way more important than the gym for weight loss. However working out will burn more calories which obviously helps lose more weight and makes you look better. 

• Like 1

Just completed a 12 week course at Nuffield Health to combat pain.

12 weeks twice a week session with a consultant all free including gym membership.

This is followed by a further 12 week free membership of the gym.

So full access to the gym and pool for 24 weeks without any cost.

Reduced membership rates available after the 24 weeks.

On 05/12/2023 at 16:38, kingcarr21 said:

So a bit of back story. Ive been working from home now for approx 5 years. i was a big lad when i started but i am now just over 17 stone and in the last few weeks ive felt really drained, no energy and no drive to do anything. So ive decided to get back onto the healthy eating and fitness life. I lost over 2 stone approx 10 years ago but then life happened and i put it all back on and more.

My biggest problem is food. I dont drink any hot drinks (drink water all day every day and always have). Alcohol i can honestly say i go weeks without a drop. Just not bothered. My biggest problem is snacking and stuffing my face with crisps and biscuits whilst working.

My question is can anyone suggest good alternative foods i can eat between meals. As i fear that solely eating apples and bananas will soon get boring.

I remember when i lost the weight before my friend recommended eating Choc Biscotti biscuits (the baby biscuits) for when you have that choc craving. Which worked great before so i will buy some more of them. But is there anything else i could look to have?

Also any good recommendations on exercises i can do at the gym that will help with weight loss. Most of my body fat is in my gut.

Nuts! I always have those nut mix from Lidl on the go. If I feel peckish or craving a snack I just grab a handful, they fill you up and are super healthy.

Really anything nutrient dense but calorie light. Nuts are a very good shout, I'm a fan of low-fat yoghurts with oats for breakfast and small snack portions and fruits.

As Una said though, diet is key for weight loss. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure - calories out) is roughly 75% your basal metobolic rate (energy needed simply for your organs to keep working), 10% thermic effect of food (the calories you burn just to digest food) then the rest is non-exercise activity thermogenesis (energy expended on just normal activity like walking to the car or scratching your head) and thermic effect of exercise. The calories you consume from working out are pretty negligible tbh. Like I had a solid two hour leg day yesterday after work and based on heart rate training zones, expended ~600 calories. Might sound like a lot but calculating based off Mifflin-St Jeor my BMR is around ~3500 (6ft 2 and 17 and a half stone, train 4 days a week and play football on sundays + football training in midweek), and even taking out the activity multiplier it'd be around 2300 for sedentary lifestyle, so the addition of 2 hours working out gets to ~25% of what I'd burn just by staying curled up in bed all day - the gym is not an efficient way to burn calories and so not efficient for weight loss. If you're looking for what to do in the gym though for weigh loss - train weights, specifically hypertrophic training. Adding on muscle mass increases calorie usage by increasing your metabolic rate. Very slow process since what you're looking for is body recomp rather than necessarily a cut and bulk pattern, but it's effective.

Edited by The Doctor
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Lionator said:

Nuts! I always have those nut mix from Lidl on the go. If I feel peckish or craving a snack I just grab a handful, they fill you up and are super healthy.

Dried dates as well. Need to be careful as they contain a lot of natural sugar but good for satisfying cravings if you have a sweet tooth like I do.

• Like 1

POPCORN. Honestly, I have a savoury tooth and spend a lot of time at my desk - get the same snacking cravings. I replace the crisps, biscuits and Chocolates with low calorie crisps (as a treat if really craving) such as Wotsits, Skips and even Pombears. Popcorn (the microwave non-flavour version) gives you plenty for around the same calories as a banana. Blueberries also work very well for me - 150g can last me an entire afternoon and that's around 50-80 calories. 

The Arla protein desserts (not the yoghurts) are a good snack too in the evenings. 

Would suggest keeping the protein high, download fitnesspal and track those calories (once you know what your cut is) and throw in the odd treat (within your calories). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

When I left pure gym last year it was just a button on the app. What’s changed? Would speak to the gym manager if it’s hard

Sends me in an endless loop - I go to my profile, go to manage, then pushes you to a link to leave. Which redirects you to your profile. 

Will drop an email next week to sort 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

One think the gym has highlighted is body dysmorphia. Overall the gym absolutely massively improves my mental health and self confidence/positivity.

However It does still lead to those moments of thinking I'm still stick thin (I was always really skinny as a kid) or have gotten a little tubby.

In reality I'm neither, am getting to a point where I'm having to go up sizes in clothes and can see and feel real growth in muscle and strength. Just isn't always enough to keep those voices at bay. 

• Like 1

I understand that. I dropped down to 74kg flat about 2 months ago, on the way to a 73kg target and am now back up to 75kg. 

However, my clothes still fit and I'm lifting bigger weights than before. I'm running faster and my heart is as healthy as it's been in years. I'm trying to tell myself this would happen with some personal stress and that the muscle will be growing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/12/2023 at 23:08, UniFox21 said:

One think the gym has highlighted is body dysmorphia. Overall the gym absolutely massively improves my mental health and self confidence/positivity.

However It does still lead to those moments of thinking I'm still stick thin (I was always really skinny as a kid) or have gotten a little tubby.

In reality I'm neither, am getting to a point where I'm having to go up sizes in clothes and can see and feel real growth in muscle and strength. Just isn't always enough to keep those voices at bay. 

I'm exactly the same! I could have written this. That's how I see myself too. I've been going regularly for about 5 years and sometimes I think it's made no difference for the effort I've put in, but in reality I've toned up an awful lot. I still can't build muscles in my arms though lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Can’t move in my place for all the post Xmas newbies. 
I’ll give them til about March before they jack it in and are back on the cakes and biscuits 

Wear biscuit or cake scent for the next few days and see them fook off earlier  lol.

• Haha 2