Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LcfcOk

The gym

I was in boxing day and it was quiet.

I mean fair play really but the evidence suggests making a lifestyle change first, that you can handle, is best. If these people say "I'll go to the gym twice a week, do 20 mins jog and then 30 mins weights" that's way more manageable than "I'm going to absolutely smash it in 2024"

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

I was in boxing day and it was quiet.

I mean fair play really but the evidence suggests making a lifestyle change first, that you can handle, is best. If these people say "I'll go to the gym twice a week, do 20 mins jog and then 30 mins weights" that's way more manageable than "I'm going to absolutely smash it in 2024"

This is how i got back into it. 30 mins cardio, 20 mins weights..did that for few weeks, then upped both weight amount and durations. Going ballsdeep works for some people but i think it also can have the opposite effect.

Diet is most important too!

2 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Tis the season of terrible form and technique.  

99 times out of 100 a bloke attempting badly to use weights that are far too heavy for where they are at.   

And those clip less users seconds away from either squashing themselves or flinging a weight across the room.

• Like 1

On 28/12/2023 at 11:28, Izzy said:

Can’t move in my place for all the post Xmas newbies. 
I’ll give them til about March before they jack it in and are back on the cakes and biscuits 

PureGym in Loughborough has been pretty dead over the Xmas period - has been lovely. 

On 28/12/2023 at 15:32, Jattdogg said:

This is how i got back into it. 30 mins cardio, 20 mins weights..did that for few weeks, then upped both weight amount and durations. Going ballsdeep works for some people but i think it also can have the opposite effect.

Diet is most important too!

That’s what I’ve done too. 

It’s been a long time since I’ve used the weights and machines at the gym but been using them for about 2months regularly and it is amazing how quickly you see results and positive changes in yourself, even if less evident to others. I’ve been a gym goer for a longtime but haven’t pushed myself last 3/4years and probs haven’t had the confidence to use machines and weights. 

Next step for me will be to try get out of bed early enough to use the gym before work, to free up evenings. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, vandamman said:

That’s what I’ve done too. 

It’s been a long time since I’ve used the weights and machines at the gym but been using them for about 2months regularly and it is amazing how quickly you see results and positive changes in yourself, even if less evident to others. I’ve been a gym goer for a longtime but haven’t pushed myself last 3/4years and probs haven’t had the confidence to use machines and weights. 

Next step for me will be to try get out of bed early enough to use the gym before work, to free up evenings. 

This is my  current issue. I start work at 730 so for me to get a solid workout with stretching before/after with weights and cardio i need to be up by 5am latest. I will admit, not sure i want to do that lol. Been debating it though.

I WFH right now so have 0 commute but help getting kids going in the morning (breakkie/lunch  drop off and pickup etc)

Edited by Jattdogg

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, casablancas said:

So been going pretty hard, well that’s a lie. I’ve basically had 3 months of not doing a thing but I’ve still dropped some fat. Question is … do I carry on with the cutting, or do I start the bulk now? Thoughts?

Image-1.jpeg

Just the darker trakkies making you look slimmer

5 hours ago, marcymarc666 said:

Just the darker trakkies making you look slimmer

Appreciate the uplifting feedback lol, but, tbf the darker ones a jeans. continue with the cutting and cardio then 👍🏽

Edited by casablancas

43 minutes ago, casablancas said:

Appreciate the uplifting feedback. To continue with the cutting and cardio then 👍🏽

I know nothing about gym work, the trouser colour makes no difference but your hard work has, massive difference to me, keep it up 👍 

1 minute ago, bmt said:

Got myself back into a gym after a recurrent back issue and about 5 sessions in I've done it again. Following stronglifts programme and starting very light to try and avoid any more injury.

I assume you are doing things like Squats and Deadlifts in there, if so and you are tweaking your back i would suggest looking at your glutes. Having strong glutes is essential in supporting the back when it comes to lifts like that, i didnt realise this until not long ago but the glutes are the most powerful muscle in your body.

In addition keeping your core tight is equally as essential.

41 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

I assume you are doing things like Squats and Deadlifts in there, if so and you are tweaking your back i would suggest looking at your glutes. Having strong glutes is essential in supporting the back when it comes to lifts like that, i didnt realise this until not long ago but the glutes are the most powerful muscle in your body.

Yeah, agreed. Added in quite a lot of core work and will make sure to hit some glutes too, thank you

13 hours ago, casablancas said:

So been going pretty hard, well that’s a lie. I’ve basically had 3 months of not doing a thing but I’ve still dropped some fat. Question is … do I carry on with the cutting, or do I start the bulk now? Thoughts?

Image-1.jpeg

When I’ve tried to bulk in the past, I’ve just ended up putting on fat instead of muscle even if I’ve not eaten sugar. So basically I’m just doing both. 3 weight sessions a week, 2 cardio/HIIT (5k on the rower/10k run). However I’m training for a half marathon at the moment. I’d honestly recommend trial and error. If you wanna cut down some fat further then see what carbs you can cut from your diet. If you want to bulk, add them back in. 

8 minutes ago, bmt said:

Yeah, agreed. Added in quite a lot of core work and will make sure to hit some glutes too, thank you

Watch for form on deadlifts. I used to tweak my hip flexors but realised if you keep your core tense when you do them it really helps.

Ive done leg day today so will be hobbling round for a few days. Had the flu 3 weeks ago and then a chest infection that took 2 rounds of antibiotics to shift and only just about getting close to the levels I was before.

• Like 1

Just now, Lionator said:

When I’ve tried to bulk in the past, I’ve just ended up putting on fat instead of muscle even if I’ve not eaten sugar. So basically I’m just doing both. 3 weight sessions a week, 2 cardio/HIIT (5k on the rower/10k run). However I’m training for a half marathon at the moment. I’d honestly recommend trial and error. If you wanna cut down some fat further then see what carbs you can cut from your diet. If you want to bulk, add them back in. 

That sounds like sheer hell. I do 1k in about 4 mins 45 and feel like I was to die.

1 hour ago, m4DD0gg said:

Bingo. This is why I started to lift weights. Bad back.

Was all about getting the core strong, glutes and legs strong before beginning to add weight. Physio said your hammy’s and quads are stupidly tight. 

If I’m honest it got a bit boring at times, low weight, high rep stuff but ultimately now I’m pain free in the back and the weights are going up now with my form better for the low w/high rep work 

Edited by CosbehFox

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

That sounds like sheer hell. I do 1k in about 4 mins 45 and feel like I was to die.

Built up over time and just take my time. My technique was crap to begin with and it becomes far easier once you get that sorted. But yes it is quite the workout.

On 18/02/2024 at 22:53, Lionator said:

Built up over time and just take my time. My technique was crap to begin with and it becomes far easier once you get that sorted. But yes it is quite the workout.

Yeah form is key.

I was doing 10k in a session at one point.

But I was the same as costock fox, knackered. After a month or two (2/3 times a week) I was comfortable doing 5k and then 10k. I can do a 5k in a sub 20min now but i tend to pace myself to about 21-22 minutes.

My issue with rowing is that i cant pace myself, I want to go quicker. Which over a couple of k is problematic. I just cant switch off (which is what you want to do, just forget where you are and what you are doing). 

I now listen to an audio book and cover the screen. In my head i subconciously count how many strokes. I can now switch off and pace myself to where i am that day (ie a bit stiff, tired I will go slower). I will go gradually quicker as well as the distance builds. And then bingo! I have done 5k.

Also for @Costock_Fox look to mix it up. I will sometimes do sprints in the last 1k, so I will either do four 250m sprints at 1.30 per 500m or two 500m sprints at 1.30 (again depends on how I am feeling). Try and set yourself a target like 2mins per 500metres and do it for a target like 250 metres. Breaking it up like this will help alot. I was struggling to do a sub 2min 500metres over 250m when I first started. 

• Like 1