Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Guiza

Sacred Cow (music topic)

Sacred Cow or Abattoir?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Prince

• Paddock of Sacred Cows
    • Abattoir
  2. 2. Kanye West

• Paddock of Sacred Cows
    • Abattoir
  3. 3. Pink Floyd

• Paddock of Sacred Cows
    • Abattoir

I used to be a big fan of the John Robins and Elis James podcast on Radio X, which has now moved to 5Live for pastures new, and on the early episodes they used to run a feature called Sacred Cow, whereby they would debate some of the greatest bands ever to decide whether they were worthy of a place in the Paddock of Sacred Cows or if they were to be consigned to the abattoir for being overrated. 

The general rule is that it must be massive bands, the sort who always hit the top 50 'bands/artists of all time' type lists and not your run of the mill indie band. I thought it might be a bit of fun to start this off with one two or three per week/month to see what people's views are. I thought to begin with I'd kick off with three legendary artists that I don't think are quite worthy of their status and thus should face the abattoir:-

Prince - There's no disputing that he had some absolute hits, When Doves Cry is perhaps in my top 100 ever, but there's a lot of mediocrity there too and some obscure nonsense along the way too. Far too much for the status of legendary artist. 

Kanye - I just don't get him. Stronger was my ringtone at school for an abnormal period of time, but I think I think I outgrew him once I got past the age of 14. I don't think 27 year old, lanky, white British white guy is his remit but I still think the man is a prat and not worthy of a top 50 place which he is often considered for.

Pink Floyd - overrated Top Gear driving CD filler.  

(This is the first time I've posted a poll so this may not have worked...) 

Edited by David Guiza

Never got Pink Floyd at all and find Kanye horrific tbh but that could be an age thing.

Prince however I find lives up to the hype. Yes he's got so some bizarre stuff in his catalogue but he's got more than just a couple of classic tunes. Made a playlist a while back and surprised myself with how much quality stuff he'd done.

Edited by Soup
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Syrup said:

Pink Floyd > The Beatles

Prince > Michael Jackson

Kanye to be made into beef burgers.

I'm not having Pink Floyd as being better than the Beatles. They've got some cracking singles, but I think they've only got 2/3 albums that would come close to troubling anything of the Beatles.

Prince was a difficult one, as I said he's got numerous hits and I understand that he was very good live too which is massively important, I think. MJ was arguably the greatest, or at least one of, within his genre and I'd definitely have him above Prince in a list of greatest artists.  

Amen on Kanye.

8 hours ago, Stadt said:

I'm not a huge fan (although like some stuff of all three) of any of them but they all deserve a place. It'd be pt

pretty dull if only music you liked existed.

Definitely agree with this, however when the industry started handing out awards and hall of fame type things then debate is bound to happen. 

I'm probably going overboard with my dislike of Kanye as to.me he's just another rapper. Fair play to him for getting a massive audience and maybe he has moved the genre on but he's not the innovator he makes out he is. 

I've had apprentices that love him and Eminem but never heard of Gang Starr, Eric B & Rakim, De La Soul etc. Saying all that I'm getting old and pretry much turning in to a music snob.

Floyd is pure genius, art on vinyl.

Kanye, im too old like some of his stuff but...

Prince, Superb writer of pop and tunes, but some total boring crap amongst it.

Ima say.. you  probably had to be there for all of them (although i was for prince and ..meh)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Soup said:

Definitely agree with this, however when the industry started handing out awards and hall of fame type things then debate is bound to happen. 

I'm probably going overboard with my dislike of Kanye as to.me he's just another rapper. Fair play to him for getting a massive audience and maybe he has moved the genre on but he's not the innovator he makes out he is. 

I've had apprentices that love him and Eminem but never heard of Gang Starr, Eric B & Rakim, De La Soul etc. Saying all that I'm getting old and pretry much turning in to a music snob.

Kanye’s ego has probably tainted his reputation terminally. His early stuff is great, lyrically he’s arguably one of, if not the best rapper ever. The honesty behind what he writes is fantastic, he’s never bullshitted about guns or anything else you can see through - I say this as somebody that’s not even that keen 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Kanye’s ego has probably tainted his reputation terminally. His early stuff is great, lyrically he’s arguably one of, if not the best rapper ever. The honesty behind what he writes is fantastic, he’s never bullshitted about guns or anything else you can see through - I say this as somebody that’s not even that keen 

Fair play, I suppose sometimes you just don't get a singer or band and for me i just dont hear him. All the shit that goes with him probably makes me dislike him more than I should tbh 

16 hours ago, Stadt said:

I'm not a huge fan (although like some stuff of all three) of any of them but they all deserve a place. It'd be pt

pretty dull if only music you liked existed.

Oh, absolutely. I'm not saying any of the above shouldn't exist/have existed, just a poll to ascertain whether the majority of people thing they're deserving of God like status in music. The three in particular were three iconic musicians/bands off the top of my head that I just don't think are worthy of that acclaim, but still all fantastic in their own right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

"I'm too old to like..."

I'm 51 and I like most of the stuff Kanye's done. Age really shouldn't be a factor.

As for the poll, they're all just bands/artists.

In fairness you're right, I just don't like him and think he's over rated. But it doesn't matter at all really does it, only a bit of fun at the end of the day. 

Edited by Soup

4 hours ago, Soup said:

In fairness you're right, I just don't like him and think he's over rated. But it doesn't matter at all really does it, only a bit of fun at the end of the day. 

Yeah.

The reverse makes me roll my eyes too, the "it's before my time" as if music, film, literature or the world in general didn't exist before they were born.

People miss out on so much great stuff because of self-imposed boundaries that actually don't exist.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Yeah.

The reverse makes me roll my eyes too, the "it's before my time" as if music, film, literature or the world in general didn't exist before they were born.

People miss out on so much great stuff because of self-imposed boundaries that actually don't exist.

Agree with this 100%