Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Exclusive Jamie Vardy interview:

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahahaha they are going to fcukin hate him at Brammall Lane and you just know there will be a goal from him. 

It's quite astounding he's only ever scored one hat-trick for us and it came against Man City of all clubs, would love another this season. Under Rodgers there'll be enough chances created for him to do so.

lol Can't wait. Scenes if Vardy scores there.

What more can we say about the man? I consider myself very privileged to be a Leicester fan in the era he leads the line. Has to be the best ever, and it will be a near-impossible task to better him. Ever. The envy of any club. A true living legend.

I hadn't even considered that. With a manager like Rodgers at the helm, an improved midfield, 2 of the best attacking fullbacks in the PL bombing down the flanks, and Perez alongside him, he's bound to get more chances than before, and better ones. Could it be possible, that after hitting the heights we already have, we are still yet to see the best of Vardy? Surely not...

1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

lol Can't wait. Scenes if Vardy scores there.

What more can we say about the man? I consider myself very privileged to be a Leicester fan in the era he leads the line. Has to be the best ever, and it will be a near-impossible task to better him. Ever. The envy of any club. A true living legend.

I hadn't even considered that. With a manager like Rodgers at the helm, an improved midfield, 2 of the best attacking fullbacks in the PL bombing down the flanks, and Perez alongside him, he's bound to get more chances than before, and better ones. Could it be possible, that after hitting the heights we already have, we are still yet to see the best of Vardy? Surely not...

I wouldn't be at all shocked if he bettered his 24 goals the season we won the league. It won't be easy and a lot of fortune will need to come his way in terms of staying fit etc but if he does and things go to plan he will thrive in this team under Rodgers. I'd not swap him for any striker in the world and I mean that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I wouldn't be at all shocked if he bettered his 24 goals the season we won the league. It won't be easy and a lot of fortune will need to come his way in terms of staying fit etc but if he does and things go to plan he will thrive in this team under Rodgers. I'd not swap him for any striker in the world and I mean that.

As if I wasn't excited enough about this season. It will take some luck, you're right, but if everything clicks, we could be in for something special.

Likewise. Nobody on the planet I'd rather have in the no.9 shirt. Absolutely no-one.

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahahaha they are going to fcukin hate him at Brammall Lane and you just know there will be a goal from him. 

It's quite astounding he's only ever scored one hat-trick for us and it came against Man City of all clubs, would love another this season. Under Rodgers there'll be enough chances created for him to do so.

I wouldn't even mind if he had a Wednesday shirt on under his Leicester one and showed it if he scored.

On 09/08/2019 at 11:07, davieG said:

It is lunchtime at the Leicester City squad’s pre-season hotel, booked so the players can eat and then sleep between the day’s two sessions, although for one member of the squad the idea of a siesta is as alien as letting an opposition defender dawdle on the ball.

Jamie Vardy, the striker who never rests, the non-league footballer turned England international, and the top Englishman among Premier League goalscorers last season, is strolling round the lobby. As lean as ever, he has enjoyed his first full summer off in five years and we are on the lookout for a member of staff with a laptop who can call up his pre-season fitness statistics.

They do not lie: at 32 he has recorded his fastest-ever pre-season performance, beating by 21 per cent his score in 2012 - the summer he joined Leicester. There was a personal best on the cycle ergometer test which measures the heart’s response to varying demands. Monitoring has revealed his lowest heart rate response on record. His body fat is at 7.5 per cent. His GPS unit has registered sprints in training of 9.3 metres per second, close to his high of 9.6. The sports scientist’s notes conclude with the observation that “whilst Jamie might be getting older, the majority of players can only dream of running that quick.”

A reserved character, with a dry sense of humour, Vardy has been honest in the past that his early non-league days were often played under a hangover but that “having-a-party” persona has been old hat for some time now. These pre-season results were no coincidence. He has always adhered to the close-season fitness programme that Leicester tailor for all players. He has long since installed a cryotherapy chamber at his home to protect fatigued muscles and spare himself the agony of the post-match ice-baths.

“You don’t want to be taking the mick and going out every other night,” he says. “It is not going to help your performances. If we have a day off after games there is no harm in having a couple of drinks. My couple of drinks will be sat at home. Hopefully there will be something on TV and that’s me sorted.

Jamie Vardy of Leicester City celebrates scoring his sides second goal during the Pre-Season Friendly match between Leicester City and Atalanta at The King Power Stadium on August 02, 2019
Vardy has been honest in the past that his early non-league days were often played under a hangover CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

Follow your club now for first access to all our news, views and analysis

Leicester
“When I first came into the professional game I wasn’t young but I was living like I was. It was a learning curve. I am glad it happened the way I did because I am here in the situation I am but it’s just one of those things as you get older.” He sits back and reflects. “To be honest, I don’t think further than next week – even that’s probably too far.”

His hunger for the game is undiminished. It was just eight years ago he quit his job in a factory and went full-time with Fleetwood Town in the Conference Premier. Since then he has won a Premier League title, played at a World Cup finals and scored 80 goals in the top-flight across five remarkable seasons. Under Brendan Rodgers, Leicester look like the best bet to challenge the top six and Vardy remains central to how they play. He is one of the most famous footballers in the country, his story an everyman dream of getting to the top from nowhere and he appreciates it more than ever.

There are also ways that he has stayed resolutely the same. The same friends who knew him when he was playing non-league still fit their own jobs around watching him, and they were there for a pre-season friendly at Scunthorpe. When his agent John Morris jokes that his eating habits have improved since his arrival at Leicester, Vardy shoots back that there was nothing wrong existing on a diet of Domino’s pizzas. He is joking this time. He has adapted but he does not want to lose that raw pace and aggression that make him a unique player.

“The good thing about Leicester is a lot of the onus is put on ourselves. We know if we don’t do it [close-season] then it will probably backfire on us. So everyone just gets on with it. I never do gym. I don’t see the point in changing. I am a bit worried if I put on a bit more muscle mass it would make me a bit slower. I would be annoyed. Who knows? In a few years when the legs start going, and I have to play defensive midfield, I might need to put a bit of timber on. Until then I am alright. Still fine at the minute - and the speed will still be there.”

We chat about the price of fame, in his case a trip to Euro Disney with his family that ended up being anything but a treat. He does not mind the picture requests but he draws the line when he is with his children. Most people understand but this was an exception. Some of the attitudes he encountered took some believing, he says. “You get people who say ‘Well, give your kid to your missus then’”.

It still amazes him how far his story has spread. Playing for England against Brazil at Wembley two years ago he caught Neymar on the ankle when he thought the ball was there to be won. “When we came out for the second half I just said to him ‘Oh, soz about your ankle’. He [Neymar] went, ‘It is what it is - swap shirts after?’” Vardy was pleased to do so, although he was reluctant to tell his friends in the players’ lounge afterwards. “I’m not one of them … you know you see a lot of people constantly asking to swap a shirt. I don’t really ask.”

Jamie Vardy of Leicester City photographed at the Marriott Hotel in Leicester
The Sheffield lad from the wind-blasted non-league pitches of the north could still be underestimated CREDIT: ANDREW FOX
The recent Manchester City Amazon Prime documentary featured Sergio Aguero seeking out Vardy for his shirt on behalf of his son after the Argentinian scored four against Leicester last year. “He’s a phenomenon,” Aguero explained with a shrug. Vardy is looking through pictures on his phone to remind himself where he hung Neymar’s shirt in his man-cave at home. He thinks it might be on the sloping ceiling. Either way, everyone’s shirt, from his Championships days to the Brazil No 10, get the same treatment.

Leicester’s third game of the season is away to Sheffield United at Bramall Lane, or as Vardy – a lifetime Sheffield Wednesday fan - likes to call it, “Abuse Vardy day”. “I can’t wait for that,” he says. “It does not bother me at all. At away games I get dog’s abuse and if anything it just spurs me on a bit more. You would think the fans would realise to stop. I might not play as well.” He was on the bench for a League Cup game at Bramall Lane two years ago and relished the hostility. “I made sure my celebrations were very over the top when we scored,” he says. “It’s all looking like that will be a good day.”

He's sort of become an iconic 

Ruffians Gentlemans rebel,with that humble hardness running through his viens....But like the road-runner,leave even the best CB coyote behind...but after the looney-tunes,sit down with the bloke,after the game..say cheers mate & gets on with it...!! And no man's fool!!