Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Exclusive Jamie Vardy interview:

'You don't want to be taking the mick and going out every other night'

It is lunchtime at the Leicester City squad’s pre-season hotel, booked so the players can eat and then sleep between the day’s two sessions, although for one member of the squad the idea of a siesta is as alien as letting an opposition defender dawdle on the ball.

Jamie Vardy, the striker who never rests, the non-league footballer turned England international, and the top Englishman among Premier League goalscorers last season, is strolling round the lobby. As lean as ever, he has enjoyed his first full summer off in five years and we are on the lookout for a member of staff with a laptop who can call up his pre-season fitness statistics.

Continues here - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/08/09/exclusive-jamie-vardy-interview-still-have-three-red-bulls-double/

• Thanks 2

Awesome article, but I'm getting mad deja vu here - I swear to god I read exactly that opening paragraph in a similar article last year, right down to the bit about siestas and not letting the opposition dawdle on the ball. 
:wes:

Someone help me.

19 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Hope we see him get 100 PL goals. All with us as well, of course. 

Crazy to think he could do it this season if he hits that magic 20 goals mark - he's on 80 according to the article. Legend. 

Edited by OntarioFox

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

he has recorded his fastest-ever pre-season performance, beating by 21 per cent his score in 2012 - the summer he joined Leicester. There was a personal best on the cycle ergometer test which measures the heart’s response to varying demands. Monitoring has revealed his lowest heart rate response on record. His body fat is at 7.5 per cent. His GPS unit has registered sprints in training of 9.3 metres per second, close to his high of 9.6. The sports scientist’s notes conclude with the observation that “whilst Jamie might be getting older, the majority of players can only dream of running that quick.”

No doubt we'll still get the old "he's lost a yard of pace" or "his legs have gone" comments from some during this season :rolleyes:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ttfn said:

It absolutely pains me to see “double-espresso” in a national newspaper.

Even more painful is them calling Disneyland Paris "Euro Disney" - a name that was used for only two years before being abandoned 25 years ago!!!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, davieG said:

He was on the bench for a League Cup game at Bramall Lane two years ago and relished the hostility. “I made sure my celebrations were very over the top when we scored,” he says. “It’s all looking like that will be a good day.”

:D reminds me of West Brom

Edited by Simoken
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Our best ever player 

Not even close in terms of skill for example. ;) However he is now my favourite player after Frank Worthington and if only Frank had paid as much attention to getting the best out of himself that Vardy has well …… 

I grew up idolising Lineker (as I was also a striker) and nobody ever came close to him in the years after, until my all time favourite player Jamie Vardy. 

IMO he will always be synonymous with us, as we will be with him, like cus demarto is to Mike tyson 

Ps, I will be naming my first daughter Vardy in the coming year 

Edited by Gwyn

38 minutes ago, Izzy said:

No doubt we'll still get the old "he's lost a yard of pace" or "his legs have gone" comments from some during this season :rolleyes:

He has lost a yard of pace though - actually he's 3 yards a second off his fastest pace lol But seriously, I think that he doesn't quite has the legs that he used to (not that they've gone, but he's not at his peak) and I stand by that. There's been a few foot races that I think Vardy of old would have won, and you notice he conserves his energy a bit more; he doesn't quite chase down literally every ball as much as he used to, even if he does still work ridiculously hard.

It doesn't really matter though - he's still ridiculously fast compared to most players, plus he's adapted his game, and improved it in other ways. He's still lethal in front of goal and an incredibly intelligent footballer. But it's not a slight on Vardy to say he's not quite as fast as he used to be. Time waits for no man, and he'll be 33 this season.

Like others have said, would absolutely say he's the most important player in our history, bar none.