Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
isaidno

Rugby world cup 2019

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Steve Hansen is right, we go through this every WC. Everyone's so desperate to talk up the chance of NZ losing because, let's be honest, the reality is a bit boring. The reality is they're almost certainly going to win, even if they lose today. 

They're just ridiculously good. 

Obviously it's not guaranteed, once you get to the knock outs any tier one nation could technically beat them. They could have a one off bad day. 

It's not likely though, statistically. People fall in to the same trap every world cup cycle of thinking NZ have dipped before the tournament but they just experiment, drop off their intensity, rest people, try new combinations, surrender some World ranking points in order to be more prepared. 

They have more high quality players than the rest of us, they produce more high quality players than the rest of us and the trend is only going to get more. 

SA and Aus are declining, rugby is in trouble in those countries, France are declining and in a huge mess, England are at risk of going the same way if they keep copying France's domestic model, Scotland are a long way from the 90s.

Meanwhile rugby in NZ goes from strength to strength. Its a production line with little competition. 

You're absolutely right...and yet they went two decades without winning a RWC. (Of course, they then won two on the trot.)

The prices for them are just overinflated with people thinking they're a sure thing though and I think it's a daft non-value bet IMO.

i mean they are favourites but they're hardly outrageous favourites. they're 6/4. that's quite a big price if anything, considering they are better than everyone else. 

even for today's game they're only 4 or 5 point favs against SA. and they are better than SA. fair enough if they were expected to win by 4 or 5 tries, that'd be a bit OTT. but 4 or 5 points seems pretty reasonable? 

off to work shortly for the next two games. both got potential to be decent. backing argentina all day against france. 

53 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

You're absolutely right...and yet they went two decades without winning a RWC. (Of course, they then won two on the trot.)

The prices for them are just overinflated with people thinking they're a sure thing though and I think it's a daft non-value bet IMO.

They went two decades winning it in a different era, I don't understand why that's difficult to grasp? 

Man City spent most of their existence being utterly shit, they're just clear favourites to win the league every year and it's going to take a huge effort for anyone to stop them. 

Every generation New Zealand get stronger, every generation after professionalism, New Zealand have evolved. 

Australia and South Africa both used to be the top force in the world at their own times but the sport is declining in both countries, they're hemorrhaging players to the Northern hemisphere which is draining from their local interest and thus participation. 

France have had periods being amongst the favourites also but they've utterly destroyed their national team with a Premier League style over emphasis on foreign imports. 

Meanwhile every time a Julian Savea drops off the international scene there's a Rieko Ioane to replace him. Rieko is early twenties, a kid really, but he's already been displaced as the star man by Reece because that's just how much absurd depth NZ have. 

They're playing 5D chess while the rest of us are playing checkers. 

32 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

They went two decades winning it in a different era, I don't understand why that's difficult to grasp? 

Man City spent most of their existence being utterly shit, they're just clear favourites to win the league every year and it's going to take a huge effort for anyone to stop them. 

Every generation New Zealand get stronger, every generation after professionalism, New Zealand have evolved. 

Australia and South Africa both used to be the top force in the world at their own times but the sport is declining in both countries, they're hemorrhaging players to the Northern hemisphere which is draining from their local interest and thus participation. 

France have had periods being amongst the favourites also but they've utterly destroyed their national team with a Premier League style over emphasis on foreign imports. 

Meanwhile every time a Julian Savea drops off the international scene there's a Rieko Ioane to replace him. Rieko is early twenties, a kid really, but he's already been displaced as the star man by Reece because that's just how much absurd depth NZ have. 

They're playing 5D chess while the rest of us are playing checkers. 

Whilst I agree with most of your comments (the all blacks are probably the most dominant team in the history of any sport) this is the most vulnerable New Zealand have been since 2003. There are a number of teams that now believe they can beat them and their players don't quite carry the same aura as they did 4 years ago. Saying that, they are still the favourites.

I don't agree with the notion that there is an overall global decline in all the other nations. England will always have depth and an abundance of talent. France will be forced to readjust before long but historically they've always been very up and down. Ireland and Wales haven't been fancied this much in a while although their warm up matches won't have filled them with confidence. Scotland have the best team they've had since the 90s. South Africa just won the rugby championship. Australia aren't quite the force they were but as shown with their win over NZ they are still a serious threat with an extremely dynamic back row. To add to that you have a new threat in Japan and the now established Argentina. 

There's always been a sense that New Zealand have a way of playing that no one else can copy. Constant support runners and endless skill from 1-15. But they certainly aren't unbeatable this year. 

tbh i think that’s the reason why i always end up supporting argentina, they play rugby like it’s footy. cheat as much as they can, appeal everything, moan at the ref, try and break as many rules as possible. 

none of this “gentlemanly” bullshit 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

tbh i think that’s the reason why i always end up supporting argentina, they play rugby like it’s footy. cheat as much as they can, appeal everything, moan at the ref, try and break as many rules as possible. 

Yeah they are nasty big f****** but they do it so well. I'd say it used to be the South Africans that were the most physical team but Argentina have certainly taken that mantle.

3 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

Think they are just less subtle about it. Most international teams are experts in the dark arts at the breakdown with NZ being by far the best at it.

Feel for Argentina there. How France went the 80 without a yellow, only the ref knows. Also, Picamoles looked a yard offside when he intercepted that pass. As Finners said though, butchering that 3 on 1 did for Argentina. The winger had a run-in.

Edited by Paddy.

5 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Think they are just less subtle about it. Most international teams are experts in the dark arts at the breakdown with NZ being by far the best at it.

i mean they did just lose and immediately cause a 20+ man fight just cos they were annoyed 

Chucked it away Argentina. 

France shouldn't have won that in a hundred years. I mean Gardener was awful, France should have had one if not more yellow cards, the kicking was awful and they left so many points there. 

But above all else their decision making in the final third was just typical of a team that haven't won in a year. Just flustered. 

If they'd come in to this in any kind of stable form they'd have won that. 

• Like 1