Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WarehamFox

League Cup Semi-Final - Villa

7 hours ago, urban fox said:

You suggest we play our second string against wigan to rest players for the semi but why would villa take the FA cup any more seriously than us and save rest their first team also. Realistically it is more likely the otjher way round as we would have afar better chance, on form, have reaching the latter stages of the FA cup than them. I think they are more likely to see the league cup as bird in the hand and be going all out for it. 

Villa didn't take the last game serious. Their main focus is the league. Having said that, even if they play their best team, we should comfortably do them over two legs. Fingers crossed.

20 hours ago, urban fox said:

Europa league spot for the winners nothing for runners up. If we get CL through league position then the place goes to 7th league position

I think this only happens given a certain number of events unfolding.

UEFA Europa League (UEL) qualification

In normal circumstances, three UEL places are given to English clubs who fulfil the following criteria:

• The fifth-placed team in the Premier League qualify for the group stage proper.
  • The winners of the FA Cup qualify for the group stage proper.
  • The EFL Cup winners qualify for the second qualifying round.

Also worth noting that finishing 4th does not 100% guarantee a Champions League place.

In the event that a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League and another win the UEFA Europa League and neither of these clubs finish in the top four of the Premier League, the club lying fourth in the table will drop into the UEFA Europa League group stage.

So for eg at the moment as things stand. Spurs win Chamions League and Man Utd/ Wolves win Europa league Chelsea would not qualify for Champions League next season.

Edited by reynard

4 hours ago, reynard said:

I think this only happens given a certain number of events unfolding.

UEFA Europa League (UEL) qualification

In normal circumstances, three UEL places are given to English clubs who fulfil the following criteria:

• The fifth-placed team in the Premier League qualify for the group stage proper.
  • The winners of the FA Cup qualify for the group stage proper.
  • The EFL Cup winners qualify for the second qualifying round.

Also worth noting that finishing 4th does not 100% guarantee a Champions League place.

In the event that a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League and another win the UEFA Europa League and neither of these clubs finish in the top four of the Premier League, the club lying fourth in the table will drop into the UEFA Europa League group stage.

So for eg at the moment as things stand. Spurs win Chamions League and Man Utd/ Wolves win Europa league Chelsea would not qualify for Champions League next season.

Yes I mentioned this in a thread about European qualification sometime last year.  In the circumstances you describe, if the teams winning the domestic cups also finished outside the top 6 (and were not the CL or Europa winners) and did then 5th place would be highest league position to get a European slot. Under normal circumstances there are only 7 slots available but CL winners get automatic qualification, as an additional place. Were this not to be the case then it is conceivable that nobody outside the top four would qualify

4 hours ago, davieG said:

Aston Villa have confirmed midfielder John McGinn suffered a fractured ankle in Saturday's 3-1 home defeat by Southampton.

I genuinely feel sorry for him. I don't like to see any player suffer a serious injury. Let's just hope we our players come through unscathed in the 2 games before then.

• Like 1