Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
oxford blue

The importance of sport

The value of sport across our society will become evident of the next few weeks or months. For virtually all of those who read this forum football will be their favourite sport, and it plays a significant part in many people’s lives. There are psychological benefits in having this as a release from everything else going on. Not only reading, watching on media but the social aspects of going to live events. This cannot be under estimated as being important for millions across all sports every week.

I know at the end of each season I look forward to the next one, but even then, every other year is a major football championship, apart from all the other sports that take place.

For those that have no interest, its value cannot be realised. For those of us who are fans, there will be a void that will be hard to fill.   

• Like 2

This is bang on. Found myself being generally more frustrated at things this weekend because there was obviously something missing. It’s different to a Summer off where you prepare for it and often have other things to occupy the mind. 

Cant wait for all this to be over. No doubt because it’s physically harming people, but the disruption to our every day is damaging in so many other ways.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, oxford blue said:

The value of sport across our society will become evident of the next few weeks or months. For virtually all of those who read this forum football will be their favourite sport, and it plays a significant part in many people’s lives. There are psychological benefits in having this as a release from everything else going on. Not only reading, watching on media but the social aspects of going to live events. This cannot be under estimated as being important for millions across all sports every week.

I know at the end of each season I look forward to the next one, but even then, every other year is a major football championship, apart from all the other sports that take place.

For those that have no interest, its value cannot be realised. For those of us who are fans, there will be a void that will be hard to fill.   

I think you're at danger of conflating the value of a hobby/interest with the value of sport as a concept.

No doubt that a sustained passion or interest is psychologically important to a healthy mind. Most of us choose sport as this interest, but there are several sectors of people that choose other pursuits.

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

nk you're at danger of conflating the value of a hobby/interest with the value of sport as a concept.

No doubt that a sustained passion or interest is psychologically important to a healthy mind. Most of us choose sport as this interest, but there are several sectors of people that choose other pursuits.

I don't think so, hence I said that for those who have no interest, its  value  can't be realised. Take away anyone's pursuit/passion with which they talk and socialize about as well as taking up hours of relaxation a week will leave a void not easy to fill. (I play a very  occasional game of bowls; I can see the club closing temporarily ( as many- probably most - will be over 65's) and this will create a void in their lives too, for time spent in playing and social time too.)

3 hours ago, oxford blue said:

I don't think so, hence I said that for those who have no interest, its  value  can't be realised. Take away anyone's pursuit/passion with which they talk and socialize about as well as taking up hours of relaxation a week will leave a void not easy to fill. (I play a very  occasional game of bowls; I can see the club closing temporarily ( as many- probably most - will be over 65's) and this will create a void in their lives too, for time spent in playing and social time too.)

We're seeing that in action soon. I'm sure loads of social functions are being cancelled that have nothing to do with sport.

There'll be so little organised stuff to do soon, it really will be eye-opening.

I'm actually learning towards playing games behind closed doors, it's not ideal but this weekend was shite with no football or F1 not returning.

If I'm gonna be stuck at home not allowed down the pub at least being able to watch live sport and use places like this and Twitter to discuss it would give me something do.

• Like 1

Just now, Bayfox said:

I'm actually learning towards playing games behind closed doors, it's not ideal but this weekend was shite with no football or F1 not returning.

If I'm gonna be stuck at home not allowed down the pub at least being able to watch live sport and use places like this and Twitter to discuss it would give me something do.

If it’s the difference between us getting CL football and not I think we’ll all take it.

Get it back up and running behind closed doors on 4th April, even if it’s just the games in hand.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love it when fans are passionate about their club.

The bit below is taken from the "Sunderland Til I Die" Netflix Series, re their playoff final v Charlton last season.

Both Turner and Pearlman were at Wembley - as fans rather than producers - to witness the defeat first-hand and their minds could hardly have been further from the show.

“I had my three kids who were six, four and two at the time and when Charlton scored in the last minute I turned and left the stadium,” Pearlman said.

“I had to be called by Ben to remind me my children were left in their seats with him.  Let alone not thinking about the show, I was not thinking about my children.”

So gutted, that you ignore your kids and leave them in the ground!   :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

I love it when fans are passionate about their club.

The bit below is taken from the "Sunderland Til I Die" Netflix Series, re their playoff final v Charlton last season.

Both Turner and Pearlman were at Wembley - as fans rather than producers - to witness the defeat first-hand and their minds could hardly have been further from the show.

“I had my three kids who were six, four and two at the time and when Charlton scored in the last minute I turned and left the stadium,” Pearlman said.

“I had to be called by Ben to remind me my children were left in their seats with him.  Let alone not thinking about the show, I was not thinking about my children.”

So gutted, that you ignore your kids and leave them in the ground!   :)

Great time for it to be back on Netflix, cant wait to watch season 2.

Reckon there will be some non British sadists who pick Sunderland as their team because of the series.