Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
January47

Exercise at home

Just now, Izzy said:

It took about 5 days I think, but I ordered it before the lockdown started.

Home fitness equipment seems to be the 'hot' thing at the moment so I imagine there will probably be delays now

The checkout page isn't even working at the minute so might be unavailable.

Clothes are starting feel tight now, after missing gym for a couple of weeks with my migraines, as soon as I was ready to go back again, it shut. Need to do something. Need to go for a few runs, tried on saturday, but it's had been nearly a month and I struggled.

3 hours ago, Facecloth said:

The checkout page isn't even working at the minute so might be unavailable.

Clothes are starting feel tight now, after missing gym for a couple of weeks with my migraines, as soon as I was ready to go back again, it shut. Need to do something. Need to go for a few runs, tried on saturday, but it's had been nearly a month and I struggled.

Yeah I’m really missing the gym tbh. 
I’ve managed to go on a few runs but it’s hard work. Feel better afterwards and all that but struggling with motivation. Using that resistance thing at home is ok but it’s not the same as doing proper weights. 
I guess the other option is laze around and do nothing but I know I’ll end up regretting that.

Any exercise is better than none I suppose..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I’ve managed to go on a few runs but it’s hard work. Feel better afterwards and all that but struggling with motivation. Using that resistance thing at home is ok but it’s not the same as doing proper weights. 
I guess the other option is laze around and do nothing but I know I’ll end up regretting that.

It when it's cold that put me off running. I just can't motivate myself out the door, even though once I'm going I'm warm enough. Even going for a walk every day and a run every other day is better than nothing. Just downloaded a bodyweight workout app, that will hopefully help with giving me a kick start.

• Like 1

I ordered a treadmill and a multi-gym a week before the lockdown was announced, so glad I ordered it when I did it’s been keeping me busy. 

got it off fitness-superstore and you can do interest free finance, quick delivery service aswell. 

I have been running three times a week and doing an at home bodyweight/weighted rucksack workout three times a week (alternating the running and weights). 

If anyone is interested (I am by no means an expert) this is what I have been doing.......

Squats with weighted rucksack (held in front not on back)

Weighted Press Ups

Bent over rows with Rucksack

Chin Ups/Pull ups  (these are so good but I cannot find anywhere to do them at home but if you can you really should)

Deadlift with rucksack

Curls with rucksack

Calf Raises

30s Plank (but really tensing the abs as you do it)

Then for the running I just go on the days I don't do the workout above and alternate it.  One run I do a 5k slowish and the next I will run as many 500m intervals as I can at a faster pace (I usually manage 4) then jog a bit.

I fill the rucksack with some kettlebells I have (not that heavy) but you could uses bottles of water, rice, books, anything really.  Did some squats whilst holding the 4 month old yesterday which was pretty good.

Just doing anything I think is good.  You're not gonna get ripped doing that but it hits most the muscles and is a pretty decent workout.  X

Edited by RumbleFox

I've been using freeletics which is a subscription app. It's pretty good for bodyweight stuff, some workouts are a bit hard though as I'm not particularly fit (in a cardio sense) and I'm horrendously inflexible.

Missing the gym, there's no proper replacement for barbell exercises which my gym work is based around (squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press etc.). I like the rucksack idea above for squats and deadlifts though, might try it.

I have some dumbbells so can do a bit, just found them this morning.

Running most days too, I'm unfit so manage about 10-15 minutes uninterrupted. Looking to be running 30 mins a day in a fortnight or so, and then will start intervals training too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmt said:

I've been using freeletics which is a subscription app. It's pretty good for bodyweight stuff, some workouts are a bit hard though as I'm not particularly fit (in a cardio sense) and I'm horrendously inflexible.

Missing the gym, there's no proper replacement for barbell exercises which my gym work is based around (squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press etc.). I like the rucksack idea above for squats and deadlifts though, might try it.

I have some dumbbells so can do a bit, just found them this morning.

Running most days too, I'm unfit so manage about 10-15 minutes uninterrupted. Looking to be running 30 mins a day in a fortnight or so, and then will start intervals training too.

Yeah nothing can really replace a heavy barbell but I’ve been quite enjoying the workouts. Been upping the reps obviously. In fact I did some rucksack deadlifts (probably more like Romanian deadlifts as I found it hard to do full ones without bar) and my hamstrings aching this morning more than when I do heavy barbell deadlifts. I’ve tried to up the reps to a number where my overall volume is pretty much the same.

I would say 15 minutes uninterrupted running is pretty good and better than a lot of people. I do 5k max as anything longer I get bored and give up. Trying to get a sub 20 minute 5k but I’m a way off and probably too old to get that quick now but nice to have a target. 

Edited by RumbleFox

Everyone sticking with their regimes?

I’m into the 4th week of Insanity, nearly half way through. I’m doing it in the garden so the neighbours must be pissing themselves when they see me nearly in deaths door swearing at the laptop.

Also make sure I do a minimum 1 hour walk with the dogs so I’m in nearly as good a shape as I’ve ever been.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’m into the 4th week of Insanity, nearly half way through. I’m doing it in the garden so the neighbours must be pissing themselves when they see me nearly in deaths door swearing at the laptop.

Also make sure I do a minimum 1 hour walk with the dogs so I’m in nearly as good a shape as I’ve ever been.

That’s good going! Are you enjoying it? They probably are, whilst at the same time admiring your determination! 

I have been sticking to a combo of fitness videos and long spells in the garden - feeling better for it, and nice to be one of the many saying their clothes are shrinking!

26 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Yeah I’ve just been sticking to my routine and doing it more consistently. Helps being at home all day so I can work out when I want so no excuses. Also like you I’m taking the dogs for an hour each day when usually it wouldn’t be that long. Problem is I am counteracting it all my drinking beer.

26 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Well done for sticking at it mate. Glad to hear you're back in good shape :thumbup:

I've thought about doing weights/resistance most days, mixed in with a bit of Pilates and the odd run.

Hardly done anything if I'm honest, but it's the thought that counts ;)

On 30/03/2020 at 14:28, Izzy said:

0B118E3A-7310-4BB1-A614-36476908ABA4.gif.2beb213b3a72e2a8acecc136fbe43455.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Yeah I’ve just been sticking to my routine and doing it more consistently. Helps being at home all day so I can work out when I want so no excuses. Also like you I’m taking the dogs for an hour each day when usually it wouldn’t be that long. Problem is I am counteracting it all my drinking beer.

Haha yeah it’s a balance isn’t it. I’m quite disciplined to be honest and if I have a beer it’s only normally 1 on week days and a couple at the weekend. 

Hope you are doing ok anyway mate.

4 hours ago, rachhere said:

That’s good going! Are you enjoying it? They probably are, whilst at the same time admiring your determination! 

I have been sticking to a combo of fitness videos and long spells in the garden - feeling better for it, and nice to be one of the many saying their clothes are shrinking!

Enjoying is a strange word when it comes to this lol. The one I did today was basically 30 minutes flat out exercise with 2 30 second breaks. Obviously I can’t do everything exactly to the book in that time and there are a few occasions when it’s either take a breath or chunder but you get a good sense of achievement when it’s done.

I’m enjoying seeing the outline of a 6 pack again even if I never get there.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

Mine feel like they’re shrinking due to a recent excess intake of beer, crisps and choccie 😢

9 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Haha yeah it’s a balance isn’t it. I’m quite disciplined to be honest and if I have a beer it’s only normally 1 on week days and a couple at the weekend. 

Hope you are doing ok anyway mate.

Thanks mate I am doing ok.