Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Eaststander

Old Photo

• 9 months later...
On 12/04/2020 at 10:38, Strokes said:

DC49F5A0-121D-4D3F-9442-B028BC88F777.thumb.jpeg.312b9e7979f7bd550110be059ad435f0.jpeg

Could they be light blue sleeve’s like the 1901-1903 kit?

My Dad used to tell me that the striped kit (1915-21) was due to a nationwide shortage of blue dye during WW1.  Apparently blue dye came from Germany.

As you were.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JonnyP said:

Hi there, I'm new to this forum.

I'm been researching my family history and have discovered that I'm directly related to Samuel Eaton, who is pictured in this photo. 

Thank you for posting the photo because it's the only one I've found online with "Eaton" actually written down. This has meant I've been able to find Samuel Eaton in other Leicester Fosse photos as well. 

I've reached out to John Hutchinson, and I'm really excited to find out more about Samuel Eaton's time at Leicester. Also, I'll talk to my relative, who mentioned on skype yesterday that she'd actually knew Samuel, to see if we have anything passed down that might contribute to the fantastic historical archives.

If anyone here has any leads or contacts or ideas on how I can further my research, I would be hugely grateful. 

I guess, Leicester has just got a new fan.

Hi I scanned a page from the Of Fossils & Foxes but it's too big to post in here I can try emailing it to you if you want.

Just managed to reduce it.

Samuel Eaton3.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JonnyP said:

Hi there, I'm new to this forum.

I'm been researching my family history and have discovered that I'm directly related to Samuel Eaton, who is pictured in this photo. 

Thank you for posting the photo because it's the only one I've found online with "Eaton" actually written down. This has meant I've been able to find Samuel Eaton in other Leicester Fosse photos as well. 

I've reached out to John Hutchinson, and I'm really excited to find out more about Samuel Eaton's time at Leicester. Also, I'll talk to my relative, who mentioned on skype yesterday that she'd actually knew Samuel, to see if we have anything passed down that might contribute to the fantastic historical archives.

If anyone here has any leads or contacts or ideas on how I can further my research, I would be hugely grateful. 

I guess, Leicester has just got a new fan.

Welcome. Trust me mate, it isn't always this good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 23/01/2021 at 14:04, davieG said:

Hi I scanned a page from the Of Fossils & Foxes but it's too big to post in here I can try emailing it to you if you want.

Just managed to reduce it.

Samuel Eaton3.jpg

Davie - thank you so much for the scan! That's fantastic. Apologies for not replying sooner. My laptop broke and had to be sent off for repairs.

I would absolutely love an email of the scan if that is still possible?  I'll message you my email address. Thanks again! 

On 12/04/2020 at 23:06, Trav Le Bleu said:

Edit: watched a few more of these old b&w football films (really interesting) and on every occasion the goalkeepers wear the same tops as the rest of the team. Goalkeepers having different coloured shirts seems to have been introduced later.

A real nerdy tangent to the more important historic tracing on this thread, but for if you want to find out more on the history of goalkeepers' kit you can't beat the following site: 

http://www.goalkeepersaredifferent.com/keepers/getting-shirty.html#:~:text=Early goalkeeper shirts often came,traditional woolly polo neck sweater.

TLDR version:

- Initially the only way a goalie was distinguishable from his teammates was by the fact that he wore a cap on his head.

- it wasn't until the turn of the century that goalkeepers began to take on a separate identity.

- In England, colours were limited to green, blue, scarlet and white. (International football mandated yellow or black from 1921)

- these the rules were relaxed in the 1970s.

-  goalkeepers traditionally wore the same shorts and socks as their colleagues until the mid-nineties. 

+ there are a couple of Leicester City references in the article.

So quite normal for the time that the reserve goalkeeper was wearing the outfield kit. (But he should have been wearing a cap in the photo!) 

• Like 1