Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Eaststander

Old Photo

9 hours ago, davieG said:

!901/02 Team photo.- Fossil & Foxes

20200412_104730.2.thumb.jpg.0f9b060f8c924f60e4d421b2280f3966.jpg

Back row - Brown (Trainer), Roulston, Dainty, Webb, Richards, Smith (Director)

Middle - Marshall, Mills, Swift, Daw, Gill, Johnson (Secretary).

Front - Robinson, Brown, King.

Some absolutely fantastic tashes in this photo..

9 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Interesting photo - as a back-up goalie you wonder why he's pictured in the (rather attractive) outfield strip of the time. 

The club probably kept hold of the strip, washed it & distributed them for matches, so maybe it was a photographer's prop for any Fosse players who came into the studio?

Quite a modern-looking bloke compared to many of his contemporaries, though a sad end if true.

Interesting to speculate though. Thanks to the Reading fan who posted it.

Extraordinary coincidence this.

I read this post today and saw this video in my recommendations on YouTube. You might wonder what it's got to do with anything...

At about 1:10 you clearly see the Newcastle goalkeeper wearing the same kit as all the outfield Newcastle players, so clearly, it did happen back then.

Edit: watched a few more of these old b&w football films (really interesting) and on every occasion the goalkeepers wear the same tops as the rest of the team. Goalkeepers having different coloured shirts seems to have been introduced later.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, davieG said:

Circumstantial evidence suggests he died in  Poor Law Institution January 1929 from the effects of being scalded by hot milk.

I wonder if he worked in a dairy.

The 1911 census is in the public domain now.  We will have to wait until next year for the 1921 census.

Anyone at a loose end?

8 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I read this post today and saw this video in my recommendations on YouTube. You might wonder what it's got to do with anything...

At about 1:10 you clearly see the Newcastle goalkeeper wearing the same kit as all the outfield Newcastle players, so clearly, it did happen back then.

Edit: watched a few more of these old b&w football films (really interesting) and on every occasion the goalkeepers wear the same tops as the rest of the team. Goalkeepers having different coloured shirts seems to have been introduced later.

I never even thought about that as a possibility, good spot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eaststander said:

Being an amateur genealogist, I tried to trace William Wilson's family, as it would have been brilliant for them to have the photo.  Unfortunately, there is just not enough information to go on.  I found what is probably the registration of his death in 1929, and calculated that he was born in 1876, give or take a year.  It's possible to obtain a copy of that death certificate, which might give the name of a family member as the informant, but I think it would be a lot of work, and you would need a lot of luck to trace modern descendants.  It isn't helped by the name being fairly common.

Anyway, I guess the best place for the photo is with the club historian.  Anyone care to tell me how/where he can be contacted?

Thanks for the comments everyone - fascinating discussion.

Hi, According to the book i'm using OF&F he was born in Belper in April 1878, it doesn't give an exact date just qtr April what ever that means.  

61KJZEnY93L._SX360_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Re your generous donation offer our club historian is John Hutchinson. It would be best to use our Club Supporter Help email to find the best way to contact him/contribute it - [email protected]

Thanks for your interest and offer if you have any problems or further information do come back.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Interesting...

Never occurred to me that goalies might have played in the same strip as the outfield players, even in those far-off days. Must have led to a few mix-ups to put it mildly. Makes me think of the drop-back goalie system we used to play on the park as kids.

On 12/04/2020 at 23:06, Trav Le Bleu said:

Does anyone know who the oldest recorded or first ever recorded Leicester game was against? Or have a link to any footage of the match? 

Regarding April qtr, I think this means the year was divided

On 13/04/2020 at 17:06, davieG said:

Hi, According to the book i'm using OF&F he was born in Belper in April 1878, it doesn't give an exact date just qtr April what ever that means.  

61KJZEnY93L._SX360_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Re your generous donation offer our club historian is John Hutchinson. It would be best to use our Club Supporter Help email to find the best way to contact him/contribute it - [email protected]

Thanks for your interest and offer if you have any problems or further information do come back.  

Hi, I've been researching my family tree- as far as I can tell, April qtr means he was born in April, May, June of that year. Seems like not always recorded accurately, so hence divided the year into Quarters, i.e, Jan, April, July, Oct quarters. I may be wrong though!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lee7 said:

Does anyone know who the oldest recorded or first ever recorded Leicester game was against? Or have a link to any footage of the match? 

Can't do links on my phone but if you go to the Pathe site you'll find footage of City vs Bolton at Filbert Street circa 1929.

11 hours ago, lee7 said:

I read that wrong at first and thought you were asking for film footage from 1884.

I was seconds away from giving you a history lesson on cine film lol. The first film wasn't actually long after, but it's unlikely that such a ground breaking first would be Leicester Fosse vs Syston Fosse (which was our first game).

• Haha 1