Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
nala

BOB HAZELL

No mention of it in OF&F  a footnote says no one was dismissed that season apart from Wilson in a friendly v Rangers. But then not many would know as there was only 9693 there

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davieG said:

But then not many would know as there was only 9693 there

Part of me is disappointed to miss out on that era and standing on terraces every week but then you read that, a top division game at a reasonably well supported club attended by fewer than 10,000 people and you think how grim it must've been.

• Thanks 1

Big Bob was your typical 'throw back' defender who took no prisoners and would kill to prevent a goal. On the ball he had much more skill and ability than he was given credit for, but it was his physicality that scared opposing forwards to death. This monster of a man had a particularly light, soft-spoken voice. But I never heard anyone take the mickey out of him!"

— Robbie Earlewriting in 2012.[11]
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

Part of me is disappointed to miss out on that era and standing on terraces every week but then you read that, a top division game at a reasonably well supported club attended by fewer than 10,000 people and you think how grim it must've been.

Aye as I said before you could turn up at 2.59 and pick you place on the terrace, social distancing was available if you wanted it. Mind you they did spend a good part of the season down at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

Despite the lower attendances, the atmosphere a lot of the time seem to be better. More chanting and ‘rivalry’ between the opposing supporters

• Like 2

1 minute ago, davieG said:

Aye as I said before you could turn up at 2.59 and pick you place on the terrace, social distancing was available if you wanted it. Mind you they did spend a good part of the season down at the bottom.

Oh yes, just shows what a completely different time it was. 9k for a top flight game whereas now I'd expect us to get at least 15k if we were halfway in League One. 

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

If you were in the kop and a goal was scored you could end up ten metres away from where you were standing

Just now, 49er said:

If you were in the kop and a goal was scored you could end up ten metres away from where you were standing

Didn't need a goal you could just stroll over there.

• Haha 1

Just now, Corky said:

Oh yes, just shows what a completely different time it was. 9k for a top flight game whereas now I'd expect us to get at least 15k if we were halfway in League One. 

If we got 11,000 we thought it was a decent turnout 

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

Totally different experience back then, I started going when Jock Wallace was the manager and have a lot of fond memories of his and the Milne era, we had a half decent side which just lacked investment. 

I actually liked standing, graduating from the members enclosure to the kop, football violence and probably the economy took its toll on attendances, as you say 10,000 odd fans for a top flight game is pretty grim reading but it doesn’t reflect the standard of football 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 49er said:
25 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I'm guessing 72nd minute 

I can’t recall him ever being sent off when he played for us, although I might be wrong. His signing was instrumental in our recovering from a really poor start and climbing the table

I have seen one report that said 'Big Bob Hazell gets a red card after horrendous tackles on Peter Mendham and Dale Gordon'. Every other newspaper report I have looked at never mentions a sending off. This is what is confusing me.

16 minutes ago, Corky said:

My favourite footage of a Leicester end when everyone stood is the Joachim goal away at Barnsley in the Cup, obviously way after the era you mention and we had loads of support there. 
Not relevant in any way to Bob Hazell just doing a little reminiscing 😊 🦊 

7 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Totally different experience back then, I started going when Jock Wallace was the manager and have a lot of fond memories of his and the Milne era, we had a half decent side which just lacked investment. 

I actually liked standing, graduating from the members enclosure to the kop, football violence and probably the economy took its toll on attendances, as you say 10,000 odd fans for a top flight game is pretty grim reading but it doesn’t reflect the standard of football 

Not sure that hooliganism kept supporters away. It was just the fact that it was essentially a working man’s game. It’s appeal to a broader clientele probably resulted from Sky’s saturation coverage with football becoming more entertainment rather than just being a sport

4 minutes ago, nala said:

I have seen one report that said 'Big Bob Hazell gets a red card after horrendous tackles on Peter Mendham and Dale Gordon'. Every other newspaper report I have looked at never mentions a sending off. This is what is confusing me.

OF&F says - before he joined his disciplinary record was poor and Filbert Street regulars had already witnessed one of his dismissals after a clash with Mark Goodwin. So I guess he improved for us.

• Thanks 1