Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
nala

BOB HAZELL

10 minutes ago, Crazy Kop Corner said:

No I was at the game and seem to remember Mark sh*tting himself which in all truth was fair enough 

Yes I assume you were just jesting. 

7 hours ago, Spudulike said:

My Dad stopped going for about 10 years after the Villa riot in '78 eventhough it had always been his life since the war. Seems that many others did during the 80's.

Hooliganism certainly played it’s part in lower attendances, but you also have to take into account the economic hardship of the seventies and eighties ( 3m unemployed at one point) and the fact that the ‘modern’ man chose to pursue other options on a Saturday afternoon such as shopping

• Like 1

I was at the game where Hazell was sent off. I can't remember if it was for us, or against us. However, I do remember the Kop singing "Brown man in the bath" to the tune of Boney M's "Brown girl in the ring", and Bob turning round and applauding and smiling. Not especially PC, I guess, but a comical moment which he seemed to appreciate nevertheless. 

• Thanks 1

Just looked and Big Bob is on Twitter. Tweet him with the question and see if he remembers? I bet he will. Top bloke. https://twitter.com/bigbobhazell?lang=en

Edited by Chairman of the Bored
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 21/04/2020 at 22:00, Chairman of the Bored said:

I was at the game where Hazell was sent off. I can't remember if it was for us, or against us. However, I do remember the Kop singing "Brown man in the bath" to the tune of Boney M's "Brown girl in the ring", and Bob turning round and applauding and smiling. Not especially PC, I guess, but a comical moment which he seemed to appreciate nevertheless. 

I was at that game too, against QPR, without checking i think it was around christmas time, and yes the kop did indeed sing that, i remember it well.

On 21/04/2020 at 22:00, Chairman of the Bored said:

44 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

I was at that game too, against QPR, without checking i think it was around christmas time, and yes the kop did indeed sing that, i remember it well.

This match I think.

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/history/matches/?mid=1754

On 19/04/2020 at 19:35, Corky said:

Oh yes, just shows what a completely different time it was. 9k for a top flight game whereas now I'd expect us to get at least 15k if we were halfway in League One. 

A lot of it was down to the threat of hooliganism hanging over the game at the time : and then a season later the further reduced top flight attendances across the board were down to the universal fear/disgust stay away factor re Heysel disaster in May 1985 re Juventus v Liverpool European Cup final - the then Champions League Final to our younger readers! It seems rather unimaginable that happening now really in such a prestigious competition!

Edited by Guy

On 19/04/2020 at 18:54, nala said:

Can anyone help me with a piece of information regarding Bob Hazell.

Was he sent off against Norwich City at Filbert Street on 17 November 1984 ?

If so does anybody know what minute he was sent off in ?

Sent off on 72 minutes mate.