Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Free Falling Foxes

Sentimentality

I never considered myself to be sentimental, but after I got my new pacemaker.........

I knew it would always have a place in my heart :D

Edited by Izzy
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

How sentimental are you?

When my dad died I inherited his carpentry kit, including his chisels. He had them wrapped up in a couple of old hand towels and I remember him unwrapping them when watching him working.

The towels are now falling to pieces and despite having a leather pouch tool role, that I bought especially to hold such tools, I still put them away in those old towels - and probably always will.

That's very sweet.

I'm sentimental as anything and not ashamed to admit I'm a tearful sort.

11 hours ago, Izzy said:

I never considered myself to be sentimental, but after I got my new pacemaker.........

I knew it would always have a place in my heart :D

I'm sentimental towards my stepladder. My real ladder left when i was three. 

• Haha 2

I'm terrible for it, both nostalgia and sentimentality.

My parents still live in the house I grew up in. It's great going back there, I can't ever imagine it being occupied by someone else, and I still refer to it as "home".

I love having those moments of olfactory memory, too. Can just be a faint indescribable smell in the air that day, but I instantly get that warm fuzzy excitement of whenever it transports me back to in my past.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

I'm sentimental towards my stepladder. My real ladder left when i was three. 

On the rare times you argue, do you take it too far and shout  'YOU'RE NOT MY REAL LADDER!' at it?

Edited by Nalis

12 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I'm terrible for it, both nostalgia and sentimentality.

My parents still live in the house I grew up in. It's great going back there, I can't ever imagine it being occupied by someone else, and I still refer to it as "home".

I love having those moments of olfactory memory, too. Can just be a faint indescribable smell in the air that day, but I instantly get that warm fuzzy excitement of whenever it transports me back to in my past.

I'll tell you one thing about nostalgia......it ain't what it used to be.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

How sentimental are you?

When my dad died I inherited his carpentry kit, including his chisels. He had them wrapped up in a couple of old hand towels and I remember him unwrapping them when watching him working.

The towels are now falling to pieces and despite having a leather pouch tool role, that I bought especially to hold such tools, I still put them away in those old towels - and probably always will.

As a lifelong builder of fine furniture I share your sentimentality. My grandfather who was a boatbuilder by trade left his bench plane to me when he passed. I have carried that handplane in my toolbox for the better part of thirty years. Job to job, San Francisco to NYC that tool has never left my side. If you've ever seen the movie "The Red Violin" then you'll know the magic of objects. A holder of memories and dreams.

Edited by SO1