Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Fifa World Cup 2022 - Qatar

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

If someone gay shows affection or even just holds hands in public, what happens? 

What is their punishment, if any? 

Are they beaten up? Are they arrested? 

I suppose we will get to see what happens in all its glory concerning affection and alcohol very soon.

10 minutes ago, Lcfc098 said:

As the poster above stated, gay marriage was not even legal in britain until 2 years ago yet you all happily lived in it before then? Whats changed?

Do you even know what Liberal principles are / look like in practice? 

Your argument doesn’t work either, people who have a different sexual orientation in Qatar are killed / tortured - how is gay marriage being prohibited comparable?

Just now, StanSP said:

If someone gay shows affection or even just holds hands in public, what happens? 

What is their punishment, if any? 

Are they beaten up? Are they arrested? 

Nothing it is quite common from both local men and guest workers to hold hands in the street it is a sign of plutonic affection in the culture. Same sex couple kissing on the street i have never seen in my 20 years in the middle east this could bring about an arrest especially if it was done in front of the police or some of the more religious individuals. Opposite sex kissing or holding hands in public no problem.   

2 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Your argument doesn’t work either, people who have a different sexual orientation in Qatar are killed / tortured

Ohhh i nearly fell of my chair .....wow you really are il-informed...... do you get all  your beliefs from those doyens of truth and justice...  The Sun or Daily Mail?

• Like 1

My main issue with the world cup is that they've literally had to rip up tradition and move the dates because the weather is ridiculously hot for playing sports. It was also given to a country with absolutely no footballing pedigree who didn't have the infrastructure to host a world cup. It was never in a position where it should be close to consideration. FIFA clearly accepted bribes for it and that's what leaves a sour taste for me. The stuff that's happened in the following years is bad enough, but it should never have even been allowed to get to that point where labour camps were required.

@hackenbacker what made you move over to Qatar from Australia? Obviously the heat would be no issue so that's one immediate bonus haha. Did you just fancy a change of scenary or was it a business opportunity? Obviously no need to answer and I'm not trying to set you up, just generally curious how a non native finds themselves out there. I'd always assume it's business related or I guess if you're a multi millionaire it's probably a pretty fun place to live.

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

My main issue with the world cup is that they've literally had to rip up tradition and move the dates because the weather is ridiculously hot for playing sports. It was also given to a country with absolutely no footballing pedigree who didn't have the infrastructure to host a world cup. It was never in a position where it should be close to consideration. FIFA clearly accepted bribes for it and that's what leaves a sour taste for me. The stuff that's happened in the following years is bad enough, but it should never have even been allowed to get to that point where labour camps were required.

@hackenbacker what made you move over to Qatar from Australia? Obviously the heat would be no issue so that's one immediate bonus haha. Did you just fancy a change of scenary or was it a business opportunity? Obviously no need to answer and I'm not trying to set you up, just generally curious how a non native finds themselves out there. I'd always assume it's business related or I guess if you're a multi millionaire it's probably a pretty fun place to live.

I fully respect this view. Your issue is with the footballing side and it being in the middle of the season. I also have an issue with that. My problem is when people who do not know what goes on there and how it works pretend to know and believe any report they see to prove their point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Surely you realise this discussion is about Qatar? You know, because the World Cup's there?

Apparently not. Can you see the irony in your statement?

Exactly. That's the point people are making and against which you are arguing.

Rubbish ... do you think that making abstract statements such as these makes you appear intelligent when you are obviously so extremely ill-informed about what goes on in Qatar even though you think you know. Well let me make it clear you don't you are like the other poster who gets all their information from a third part source as as the SUN and treat it as gospel. let me give you one piece of advice question everything dyor talk to people who experience Qatar first hand come out here don't simply rehash rubblish you read in the paper yesterday. 

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I moved there for money (no income tax), to experience a different culture, to be in a more central location to travel (Australia is very far away from anywhere) and cause my wife is from the region (Iran). I will stay here until 2025 when my eldest will start high school then we will return to Oz. 

No doubt Qatar won the world cup with bribes but do you seriously think it was the only country to offer brides during the selection process or any other selection process that has gone on for the Olympics or the World Cup.   

What soccer pedigree did South Korea and Japan have when they hosted the event? Football is a world game the Asian Cup held every four years probably has as much interest in the countries that compete as the Euros do in Europe. I don't agree with the argument that  the event should only be hosted by the giant football nations. 

Brazil spent 40b on infrastructure for their world cup.

Funnily enough i think the world cup  has made the condition or workers much better cause of the international scrutiny. Labour camps existed long before the world cup was awarded but the buildings were internal to qatar and nobody in the outside world cared about workers rights then. Since international scrutiny workers rights have improved considerably but there is still always to go. 

Moving the WC to winter well blind freddy must have known that there is no way it could be hosted in August when it was awarded it is 50+ Celsius with about 90% humidity here for Fvck sake in August  

I actually can't wait for this world cup to start, this time of year when its wet and dark it's sometimes quite depressing so to have games every day to look forward to I think it will be great.

The build-up hasn't been the same as a summer world cup but then I think that's because we've had PL football to watch and it's only now that it's starting to build.

There's definitely a lot of pressure on Qatar for it to be a success and the media will be ready to pounce at the slightest issue so it could be an interesting one on and off the pitch!

1 hour ago, hackenbacker said:

Actually every single word because it is the biggest piece of BULLSHIT i have ever read on this forum. Invading neighbor states using radio active material  WHAT?

1. Ukraine

2. Alexander Litvinenko, Dmitry Kovtun and Andrei Lugovoi

3. Boris Nemtsov

4. Alexei Navalny

5. You are a complete fvckwit