Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Fifa World Cup 2022 - Qatar

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

I saw South Korea v Italy from 2002 during lockdown, I had no idea it was that dodgy at the time lol 

If Christian Vieri hadn't missed a sitter I could have put away with a minute to go then the whole thing would have been moot.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63554507

World Cup 2022: Awarding Qatar the tournament was a mistake, says former Fifa president Sepp Blatter
Last updated on15 minutes ago15 minutes ago.

Sepp Blatter first joined Fifa as technical director in 1975 and was voted president in 1998
Former Fifa president Sepp Blatter says the decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar was a "mistake".

Blatter, 86, was president of world football's governing body when Qatar was awarded the tournament in 2010.

The Gulf state has been criticised for its stance on same-sex relationships, human rights record and treatment of migrant workers.

"It is too small of a country. Football and the World Cup are too big for it," he told Swiss newspaper Tages Anzeiger.

The Qatar World Cup, the first to be hosted in the Middle East in the tournament's 92-year-history and the first during the Northern Hemisphere winter, takes place from 20 November to 18 December.

Fifa's executive committee voted 14-8 for Qatar to host the tournament ahead of the United States 12 years ago, at the same time Russia was awarded the 2018 event.

Blatter says he voted for the United States and blames then-Uefa president Michel Platini for swinging the vote in Qatar's favour.

"It was a bad choice and I was responsible for that as president at the time," he said.

"Thanks to the four votes of Platini and his [Uefa] team, the World Cup went to Qatar rather than the United States. It's the truth."

Blatter also said Fifa had adjusted the criteria used to select host countries in 2012 after concerns were raised about the treatment of migrant workers building World Cup stadiums in Qatar.

"Since then, social considerations and human rights are taken into account," he added.

Blatter spent 17 years as Fifa president but was forced to step down in 2015 over allegations he unlawfully arranged a transfer of two million Swiss francs ($2.19m; £1.6m) to Platini, who was also forced to resign from his position at Fifa.

He was originally banned from football by Fifa for eight years, later reduced to six, over the Platini payment. In March 2021 he then received an additional ban until 2028 for "various violations" of Fifa's code of ethics.

Blatter and Platini were charged with fraud last November but were found not guilty at a trial in Switzerland in July.

The decision to award the 2018 and 2022 World Cups to Russia and Qatar respectively has been dogged by accusations of widespread corruption, with two investigations launched by Swiss prosecutors and the US Department of Justice in 2015.

Qatar and Russia have always denied any wrongdoing, and both were effectively cleared by Fifa's own investigation in 2017.

Fifa recently wrote to competing nations asking them to "now focus on the football" instead of the competition's controversial build-up.

The Fifa letter was criticised by Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and LGBTQ+ campaigners in England and Wales, while 10 European football associations - including those of England and Wales - said "human rights are universal and apply everywhere".

There is concern about how LGBTQ+ people are treated in Qatar, where same-sex relationships and the promotion of same-sex relationships are criminalised, with punishments ranging from fines to the death sentence.

Amnesty International says that since 2010, hundreds of thousands of migrant workers have faced human rights abuses while employed to build wider infrastructure necessary to host the tournament.

Peaceful protests have been planned by some players, while England's Harry Kane and nine other captains of European teams will be wearing 'One Love' armbands. to promote diversity and inclusion.

Denmark will wear "toned-down" shirts to protest against Qatar, with kit provider Hummel saying it "does not wish to be visible" in a tournament it claims "has cost thousands of lives", while Australia's squad have released a video urging Qatar to abolish its laws on same-sex relationships.

World Cup ambassador says homosexuality is "damage in the mind"
A Qatar World Cup ambassador has said that homosexuality is "damage in the mind" and LGBTQ+ people attending the tournament should "accept our rules."

Former Qatar international Khalid Salman was speaking to German broadcaster ZDF in a documentary to be broadcast on Tuesday.

"They have to accept our rules here," Salman said. "[Homosexuality] is haram. You know what haram [forbidden] means?," he said.

When asked why it was haram, Salman said: "I am not a strict Muslim but why is it haram? Because it is damage in the mind."

The interview was then immediately stopped by an accompanying official.

The host country's World Cup organisers have stated "everyone is welcome" to visit the country to watch the football matches and claimed no one will be discriminated against.

However, Qatar 2022 chief executive, Nasser al Khater, has said the government would not change its laws on homosexuality, requesting visitors "respect our culture".

BBC Sport has contacted Fifa and World Cup organising committee for comment.

So looks like Uefa are to blame for Qatar.

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I saw South Korea v Italy from 2002 during lockdown, I had no idea it was that dodgy at the time lol 

lol That ref got done multiple times I think for dodgy decisions, not just in that game but at club level too.

Blatter is saying it was a mistake only due to the size of the Country "It is too small of a country. Football and the World Cup are too big for it,"

The whole moral issues came way after the greasing of palms & since then the criteria for selection of a host nation has changed. So if size & suitability or moral issues of a country weren't in the original criteria it just confirms the only criteria was how large the envelope was.

• Like 3

Blatter is such a clown! This whole WC is a joke. Now he’s admitting it was a mistake. The depths this man will go to be forgived/escape jail time & fines is astonishing. He was front and center of this scandal.

• Like 2

On 05/11/2022 at 13:30, Lionator said:

Who do people think will win it? Personally I think it’s the most open World Cup for a long time, and I wouldn’t be surprised if one the big South American two win it. On paper it should be the French but it’s the French. Germany aren’t there yet, Spain and England poor, maybe Belgium finally? 

Brazil or Argentina. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Southgate even in good performances against top opposition as played 3 atb,and tends to like it..but obviously one expects flexability of selection,according to own feeling or to counter opposition. But I see this 11 as our best choice..We lose maybe Rashford or he slots in over one of the others so we can play 4 at the back...

Besides it's my team :P I would like to see,without being too concerned what the opposition as to offer...fk 'em..!!

Absolutely right @fuchsntf, we all get our own opinions. Agree regarding the 3ATB, I personally just think it requires wing backs, but as you say, each to their own. :P

2 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I would add france to it, but I thought they were shocking at the euros and don’t look to be pulling up trees despite the talent. Brazil for me are the best team though no question 

The thing is with Brazil, you could’ve said that pre 2006, 2010 and 2018 and each time they bottled it in the quarters. Now I would say they’re much more experienced this time, especially at the back. They’ll probably also have a tough run to the final, with Portugal and Uruguay in the 2nd, Spain or Germany in the QF’s and Argentina in the semi. 

9 hours ago, Lionator said:

If the top ranked team wins each group and round 2 games (they won’t) then the quarters would match up like this:

Netherlands v Argentina 

Spain v Brazil

England v France

Belgium v Portugal 

Am hoping for this too i have tickets to the potential Neth V Arg  and France V Eng games (and if Argentina and Brazil win to the Arg v Brazil semi final)

• Like 1

Heard on the radio that Qatar is the size of Yorkshire and the radius of all the stadiums would fit in Bristol.

What a crap experience it will be for those fans who are travelling.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Heard on the radio that Qatar is the size of Yorkshire and the radius of all the stadiums would fit in Bristol.

From a purely footballing perspective, it could be one of the best. You could feasibly see 2 games a day. 

• Like 1

On 08/11/2022 at 16:46, cruzFOX said:

Blatter is such a clown! This whole WC is a joke. Now he’s admitting it was a mistake. The depths this man will go to be forgived/escape jail time & fines is astonishing. He was front and center of this scandal.

How can you possibly say that about a man who is respected the whole world over for his insight, honesty & integrity.

• Haha 1

On 09/11/2022 at 12:18, Amin said:

From a purely footballing perspective, it could be one of the best. You could feasibly see 2 games a day. 

Oh I am.... Ecuador v Senegal at 6pm before a 15 min drive to England v Wales at 10pm

Edited by hackenbacker
Spelling
  • Like 3

On 09/11/2022 at 08:09, Izzy said:

Why? It will be like being in a fan village all the time? 

17 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Why? It will be like being in a fan village all the time? 

As opposed to the next World Cup where one group game could conceivably be in Miami and the next one in Vancouver. 

Funnily enough all being in one area is much better for the environment too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

World Cup 2022: A desert World Cup blighted by a dust-storm of controversy - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63570556

Some extracts

A key ally of the West - unlike China and Russia - and now reportedly the 10th biggest landowner in the UK, with Heathrow, Harrods and the Shard among its many British investments, Qatar insists the notoriety of its World Cup is unfair.

The environmental impact of the tournament is another issue. Fifa admits Qatar 2022 will leave a much bigger carbon footprint than any other World Cup, in one of the world's least sustainable countries. But experts are now suggesting emissions could be three times the official estimate, undermining claims this will be the first 'carbon neutral' World Cup.

Organisers insist, however, that sustainability is at the heart of their tournament - pointing to the fact this World Cup is the most 'compact' ever, with it effectively taking place in one city, along with a fleet of electric buses, and an off-setting and carbon credits programme.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-world-cup-payments-maddison-7820031

Revealed: How much Leicester City will earn from Fifa World Cup
Leicester City will have seven players at the tournament in Qatar and their participation entitles the club to payments depending on how long they are there for

ByJordan Blackwell
15:50, 14 NOV 2022UPDATED17:44, 14 NOV 2022

Leicester City’s World Cup stars are set to earn more than £1million for the club from Fifa.

Seven City players will be representing their nations in Qatar over the next month, with club football on hold. But in recognition of the contribution clubs make to preparing players, and releasing them, for tournaments, City will be compensated by world football’s governing body.

The Club Benefits Programme will see Fifa pay out approximately £8,500 per player per day while their countries are competing in Qatar. With the six-day ‘official preparation period’ covered too, City’s septet are guaranteed to be worth £161,500 each, given they will all remain at the tournament until the end of the 13-day group stage. That takes the total to £1.13m, even if they are all eliminated at the first hurdle.

How often each player features for the country is irrelevant to the fee clubs are entitled to, however, not all of the payments go to the sides where players are currently contracted. The fees are split between all the clubs where players were contracted in the two years prior to the World Cup, and so compensate all of the teams that had to release players for qualification periods.

For City, that means the pot generated by Wout Faes’ participation will have to be split with French side Reims, who he represented before moving to the King Power Stadium for £15m in the summer. But, it will also see City receive a chunk of the payments generated by title-winning goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel, who will represent Denmark at the tournament, and Kamal Sowah, who joins Daniel Amartey in the Ghana squad and who was sold to Club Brugge in 2021.

James Maddison with England and Faes, Youri Tielemans and Timothy Castagne with Belgium are expected to go deep into the tournament and there are a further 16 days of knock-out football after the group stages. Clubs with players who reach the final in Qatar will be entitled to £297,500 per player.

City’s tally of seven players at the tournament is the joint-sixth highest of Premier League clubs, level with Liverpool, and only below Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Tottenham, and Arsenal. In 2018, City had 10 players in Russia for which they were calculated to receive €1.62m (then £1.47m), which was the 15th-highest total earned by a club.