Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Fifa World Cup 2022 - Qatar

Four matches will be played each day during the group stage of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, Fifa has announced.

The group games will be played over a 12-day period, with matches not being assigned to particular venues until after the finals draw in March 2022.

Kick-off times for the first two rounds of games will be 1pm, 4pm, 7pm and 10pm local time with the eight stadiums all within a 40-mile radius of each other.

It means supporters and media could attend two games on the same day.

How will the group games look?
For all but three games there will be a three-day rest period in between
There will also be no need for teams, supporters or media to spend time flying or taking long rail or road journeys between matches
Kick-off times in the final round of group games and knockout round matches will be at 6pm and 10pm local time
Local time will be three hours ahead of UK time during the tournament, which will take place in November and December 2022.

Where will the opening match and final take place?
The tournament's opening match will be played at the 60,000-seater Al Bayt stadium in Al Khor on Monday, 21 November in a game which will feature hosts Qatar.

The final venue is the 80,000-capacity Lusail Stadium in Doha on Sunday, 18 December at 15:00 GMT.

A start date is yet to be announced for the European section of World Cup qualification. The qualifying draw is scheduled for 1 December, but it is not yet known whether that will go ahead as planned.

BBC Sport will broadcast the Fifa World Cup, Qatar 2022 on television, radio and online.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 16/07/2020 at 13:42, kingcarr21 said:

Starts on my Birthday. November 21st. Noice

Or maybe not!

Looks like FIFA are moving Qatar's first game forwards  to the Sunday night so the tournament will start a day early.

https://theathletic.com/3494370/2022/08/10/qatar-world-cup-2022-start-date-fifa/

On the BBC too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62492293

Sounds like Ecuador requested the change ?

Edited by Super_horns
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Or maybe not!

Looks like FIFA are moving Qatar's first game forwards  to the Sunday night so the tournament will start a day early.

https://theathletic.com/3494370/2022/08/10/qatar-world-cup-2022-start-date-fifa/

On the BBC too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62492293

Sounds like Ecuador requested the change ?

Dont agree with Qatar getting the world cup but makes sense to kick off either with them as hosts or France as holders.

I read online today that due to the lack of accommodation some fans are being quoted £20k to stay on a boat for the duration of the tournament LOL. Probably an exaggeration but presumably it is hard to find a room out there. I looked on the public sales platform for tickets, and there are very few group games left on general sale. But given it seems to me so many corporates have got so many tickets to offer, including for England v Wales, surely lots more will come online nearer the time. I can't imagine hordes of fans from anywhere are travelling for it.

54 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I read online today that due to the lack of accommodation some fans are being quoted £20k to stay on a boat for the duration of the tournament LOL. Probably an exaggeration but presumably it is hard to find a room out there. I looked on the public sales platform for tickets, and there are very few group games left on general sale. But given it seems to me so many corporates have got so many tickets to offer, including for England v Wales, surely lots more will come online nearer the time. I can't imagine hordes of fans from anywhere are travelling for it.

I know of a set of Welsh lads and a set of English lads going - both staying in Dubai and flying into Qatar for the games 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I know of a set of Welsh lads and a set of English lads going - both staying in Dubai and flying into Qatar for the games 

This was my initial plan as I have two mates in Dubai who like football, I could tick off a new country in Qatar, loads of free tickets are flying around and pre Xmas is easy to get leave. However being around slovenly England fans at the euros put me off plus the obvious corruption behind this World Cup. I may change my mind as the time approaches 

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Dont agree with Qatar getting the world cup but makes sense to kick off either with them as hosts or France as holders.

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I thought when bidding for the world cup its menat to be about having enough accommodation. Good transport links and bidding on a summer tournament what is now in the winter

10 hours ago, tylesta said:

I thought when bidding for the world cup its menat to be about having enough accommodation. Good transport links and bidding on a summer tournament what is now in the winter

When you don’t have plenty of accommodations, and good travel system, just means you have to up your bribe amount.

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Seems Ecuador might still be in danger of being kicked out as new evidence has come to light about their illegal player - allegedly.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2022/09/12/ecuadors-world-cup-place-in-question-after-new-evidence-revealed/

How much money will it cost Ecuador to “convince” FIFA that they should keep their spot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Loving the pundits taking the money for working on this world cup and then having the cheek to pretend to be morally outraged lol

Bingo.

Similar to travel tw ats who go to exotic places and preach about the areas they've been to suffering from over tourism. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

I'll tell you this..

Has a young man - and I get my WCup tickets & Stay paid..I would go and say how I see it..Going to as a tourist to any land,you don't see much of the negatives..

Organise your own travels, walk among the fold,and backstreets.Get to know the culture away from the mainstream.

All West European local journalist broadcaster will not have done this.& Live in a cocoon.!

Though a few have and have brought

"First hand" excellent reports.

The basic tourist sees nothing..

The adventure traveller will see behind the scenes..

Edited by fuchsntf

18 minutes ago, Chiltern Fox said:

Normally so excited for a 

WC, but just not feeling it this time.

All due to where its being held.

Same.

In a way I want to watch it, due to the competition of course; but the host's constant denial of obvious fatal crimes against migrant workers building the stadiums is greatly taking much excitement off it.

Shame that football is turning popular for the certain rich who are taking other's livelihoods in the process.

Angers me how, back in 2009 I believe when this World Cup was announced. The warning signs of what was to come was there, since then little as changed yet barely any football nation has done nothing about it other just say a few words of "they disagree with Qatar laws" A number of nations could stopped this world cup from happening if met the likes of ourselves England, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, United States, Australia, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Poland... if them big nations all came together and agreed not to take part then Fifa would of panic. As with some of those big name countries, you have no world cup. Fifa world lose a lot on ticket revune's of course, little too late.

Of course will watch but it's disgraceful to think so many players are more than happy to carry on play, despite knowing what's been going in this country. 

From BBC sports site.

Read Klopps thoughts..."We are not politicians"

Excellent points..& asks why put the pressure on mnager & players...They can't answe.

Why not ask journalist & politicians

The questions, why didn't you do more..

Interesting points...!

• Like 2