Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 2-0 Southampton - Post-Match Thread

18 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Let's face it, Southampton were dross, regardless of their league position.

You really think that if we played the way we did, we would still have beaten a team that played well?

If we play like that on Tuesday we'll get mauled.

It was two teams playing poorly, we just played less poor.

I couldn’t disagree more and I’m genuinely shocked by that opinion but each to their own.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I couldn’t disagree more and I’m genuinely shocked by that opinion but each to their own.

If we give Chelsea openings then they are more liable to take them than Soton.  both teams were guilty of failing to convert excellent openings into decent goal scoring opportunities- the thought process is that better/high quality sides will do that ....

we were poor until we upped the intensity. It’s not the first time this season. Hope we have enough in the tank to go again after 72 hours - Chelsea had a much easier game and will make more changes in personnel than us. 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2021 at 05:03, deanolegend1989 said:

Quite possibly the worst post I’ve ever read!

It was arguably the game of the entire season from us and you thought we played ‘poorly’. I really wonder what you were watching or question if you understand football if you honestly think that and arnt trolling?

The first 20-25 minutes Southampton were pressing hard and played fantastically and we didn’t wilt. It was a high quality game, played at a fantastic tempo and we fought like lions.

Watch some of the games back that we lost and see the difference.

Id argue it was probably the best performance of the season and maybe the best since late 2019, yet you think we were poor 🤣🤣🤣

I think it’s the level of selfishness Perez showed. You get moments where it should be passed but it’s not 100%. For Perez to not pass in that situation is absolutely mental and he deserves to be slammed. There’s no excuse for that, it’s a free goal.

Really? Sorry, that made me chuckle. Don't get too caught up on teams league positions and concentrate more on how they play on the day. Southampton were Lethargic at best, we were just slightly better but still poor. It was a great result, but not a great performance, there is a difference but perhaps you'll learn that the more football you watch & learn.

If you think we can play like that tonight, and come away unscathed, i feel for you.

15 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Sure, of course it did. In much the same way that Vardy himself took an airshot shortly before we scored the opener, and Barnes also failed to lay a chance back. I don't think you'll find much disagreement that he should have passed, but he did loads right, and as someone said earlier, if we then let a goal in, that's on the defence of our goal, and nothing to do with a missed chance at the other end.

As you know I thought VAR showed Perez was onside (narrowly-by the foot of the defender) even though most linesmen would probably have given offside. Its being onside or offside matters little  but the fact that Perez's peripheral vision did n't pick up Vardy's isolated and ideal positioning is concerning. Vardy's airshot is nor relevant as it obviously was n't deliberate and Barnes failure to layoff I would n't criticise as he  laid off several chances to JV including  headed chance which took some skill to layoff . Barnes and Vardy generally have an attitude which means they layoff to a better placed player. Perez's failure can only be due to poor vision , decision making, or selfishness . If he used an excuse to me of being told to shoot more often in that position I would wonder if his intelligence is up to PL football. I would n't have to behead him as the second offence kneecapping would probably discourage a third offence, in fact he might not even get the chance of a kneecapping after the first not passing offence.

I'll admit to double standards but Vardy has an immense credit account, Barnes a large one and increasing, Perez IMO is overdrawn on his £30m.

Edited by Alan Frost

1 minute ago, Alan Frost said:

As you know I thought VAR showed Perez was onside (narrowly-by the foot of the defender) even though most linesmen would probably have given offside. Its being onside or offside matters little  but the fact that Perez's peripheral vision did n't pick up Vardy's isolated and ideal positioning is concerning. Vardy's airshot is nor relevant as it obviously was n't deliberate and Barnes failure to layoff I would n't criticise as he  laid off several chances to JV including  headed chance which took some skill to layoff . Barnes and Vardy generally have an attitude which means they layoff to a better placed player. Perez's failure can only be due to poor vision , decision making, or selfishness . If he used an excuse to me of being told to shoot more often in that position I would wonder if his intelligence is up to PL football. I would n't have to behead him as the second offence kneecapping would probably discourage a third offence, in fact he might not even get the chance of a kneecapping after the not passing offence.

I'll admit to double standards but Vardy has an immense credit account, Barnes a large one and increasing, Perez IMO is overdrawn on his £30m.

I'm not 100% certain that we share the same sense of humour, Alan :) 

8 hours ago, st albans fox said:

If we give Chelsea openings then they are more liable to take them than Soton.  both teams were guilty of failing to convert excellent openings into decent goal scoring opportunities- the thought process is that better/high quality sides will do that ....

we were poor until we upped the intensity. It’s not the first time this season. Hope we have enough in the tank to go again after 72 hours - Chelsea had a much easier game and will make more changes in personnel than us. 

I think your not giving Southampton enough credit. They really pressed up high and their energy levels were incredible. We fought well and kept them at bay.

Sometimes you got to give credit to the team we played.
Lets put it this way, Fulham and Everton both didn’t press us any where near as much as Southampton yet we were awful and broke through easily.

If we play with that much quality against Chelsea we will win easily if we don’t rotate our team. They are more technical and don’t press us as much as saints did.

Make no mistake about it, that’s a game we’d lose 90% of the time if we wernt at full strength.

4 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Really? Sorry, that made me chuckle. Don't get too caught up on teams league positions and concentrate more on how they play on the day. Southampton were Lethargic at best, we were just slightly better but still poor. It was a great result, but not a great performance, there is a difference but perhaps you'll learn that the more football you watch & learn.

If you think we can play like that tonight, and come away unscathed, i feel for you.

It was our best performance imo, up along with Spurs away.

You look at even our wins vs Wolves for example and we were shocking but Wolves especially first half were the most passive I’ve seen so you probably think we were great. Southampton were brilliant first half. They didn’t miss a lot of sitters, redmonds chance he did ok but Kasper saved, Adams Chance wasn’t a sitter and he worked Kasper. The simple truth is we limited them to half chances when they were pressing the life out of us, then they burnt out and we started to show our quality 2nd half.

Ill say it again, Everton, Fulham and Villa all won playing a lot worse than Southampton did , but we played brilliantly to beat them.

With the team we have right now, we can beat anyone.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I think your not giving Southampton enough credit. They really pressed up high and their energy levels were incredible. We fought well and kept them at bay.

Sometimes you got to give credit to the team we played.
Lets put it this way, Fulham and Everton both didn’t press us any where near as much as Southampton yet we were awful and broke through easily.

If we play with that much quality against Chelsea we will win easily if we don’t rotate our team. They are more technical and don’t press us as much as saints did.

Make no mistake about it, that’s a game we’d lose 90% of the time if we wernt at full strength.

It was our best performance imo, up along with Spurs away.

You look at even our wins vs Wolves for example and we were shocking but Wolves especially first half were the most passive I’ve seen so you probably think we were great. Southampton were brilliant first half. They didn’t miss a lot of sitters, redmonds chance he did ok but Kasper saved, Adams Chance wasn’t a sitter and he worked Kasper. The simple truth is we limited them to half chances when they were pressing the life out of us, then they burnt out and we started to show our quality 2nd half.

Ill say it again, Everton, Fulham and Villa all won playing a lot worse than Southampton did , but we played brilliantly to beat them.

With the team we have right now, we can beat anyone.

Fair play,  You have explained your opinion and I have to say, I agree with it.

:)

Sorry for being a tw@t.

3 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Fair play,  You have explained your opinion and I have to say, I agree with it.

:)

Sorry for being a tw@t.

You wernt a tw@t. You were just saying your opinion which I honestly thought was surprising from how I viewed the game but that’s the beauty of football.

Would we boring if we all agreed 100% of the time.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Southampton pressed like hell and I thought we withstood that very well. Cannot imagine Chelsea doing that. 

In the bits of recent Chelsea games I've watched they've pressed very hard, Mount being particularly hot at that.  But I may have watched the wrong bits. Really, the way the Prem has gone so far, you can see a team play like worldbeaters in one game and then be dross in the next.  More than at any other time I can remember, it depends every time on "which team turns up".  We, ourselves,  have started games very differently, sometimes at a good pace but often disappointingly slowly.

Let's hope the pacey and determined version of our team turns up tonight.

On 17/01/2021 at 08:44, murphy said:

He did win two La Liga titles and might equally be remembered for that spectacular volley in the Champion's League Final which he also won twice.

He might be a one-eyed pundit, but he is one of the most decorated English players of recent times.

Not denying his achievements for Liverpool/Real, I was meaning as an England international.

Just think he was very disappointing in the vast majority of his international displays and seemed to drift out of many games fairly limply. Could be quite a contrast to how he was in the league.