Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 2-0 Southampton - Post-Match Thread

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

I think I need to watch it back, because I didn’t enjoy the game at all and found it a horrible watch, and I didn’t think we were great at all. The number of forced and unforced errors seemed ridiculously high (from both sides).

We were awful for the first 25 minutes, which is nearly a third of the game let’s not forget. They had far too much time and space and the defence barely seemed to know where their attackers were.

Yeah we improved at the match went on, but don’t think we got anywhere close to the levels we can do.

I’ve seen plenty of people saying different though, so understand it might have been the stinking mood I was ha ha.

For myself, I'm partially in agreement with you that we were far from our free-flowing best, though the pitch may account for that to some extent.  Where I thought we were magnificent was in the way we fought and fought to wrest control from them and played with that same determination right though the whole game.  There are different ways of putting in a good football performance, and this was one of them.

It was particularly pleasing in view of our collapse last season when we didn't show that same fighting spirit, and a hopeful sign for the rest of this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deep blue said:

For myself, I'm partially in agreement with you that we were far from our free-flowing best, though the pitch may account for that to some extent.  Where I thought we were magnificent was in the way we fought and fought to wrest control from them and played with that same determination right though the whole game.  There are different ways of putting in a good football performance, and this was one of them.

It was particularly pleasing in view of our collapse last season when we didn't show that same fighting spirit, and a hopeful sign for the rest of this season.

Oh yeah, absolutely. Saints are no mugs and do the simple things very very well, which makes life difficult for most teams. 

I was wondering earlier, if the state of the pitch sort of took away my attention a bit and I was focussed on that and the mistakes etc too much. 

4 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Perez did make the wrong decision but he is no longer a regular, and I expect his thinking was a goal might get him in the first 11 whilst an assist wouldnt.

Bear in mind I think the manager has been encouraging players to shoot more, probably to try and wean the team from relying on vardy so much, it has eventually paid off with barnes who has improved his shooting.

If I was coaching an under-10 side and the forward didn’t square the ball from Perez’s position yesterday I would be annoyed!

Perez doesn’t offer pace or strength, so he needs to offer intelligence and good decision making. Very poor indeed and it could have been costly at 1-0.

9 hours ago, Babylon said:

I think I need to watch it back, because I didn’t enjoy the game at all and found it a horrible watch, and I didn’t think we were great at all. The number of forced and unforced errors seemed ridiculously high (from both sides).

We were awful for the first 25 minutes, which is nearly a third of the game let’s not forget. They had far too much time and space and the defence barely seemed to know where their attackers were.

Yeah we improved at the match went on, but don’t think we got anywhere close to the levels we can do.

I’ve seen plenty of people saying different though, so understand it might have been the stinking mood I was ha ha.

Hey I put it down to your awful  Time into New Year....Your becoming a Bit more grumpier,  the better we get..:whistle:

23 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

I said at the time! Awful management from Southampton, was obvious he was hurt and they just let him run on it.

Looked a decent player. Hope he's back to full fitness soon.

The initial injury looked like a lateral or medial ligament rather than the ACL as well. 

23 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

If I was coaching an under-10 side and the forward didn’t square the ball from Perez’s position yesterday I would be annoyed!

Perez doesn’t offer pace or strength, so he needs to offer intelligence and good decision making. Very poor indeed and it could have been costly at 1-0.

Pezez like all forward have been encouraged to Shoot more, when the position arises,even if others might be backing up...to

Rodgers mentione d in a Post Match review, just before xmas....

Edited by fuchsntf

Just now, fuchsntf said:

Petra like all forward have been encouraged to Shoot more, when the position arises,even if others might be backing up...to

Rodgers mentione d in a Post Match review, just before xmas....

I don’t suppose that means when you have a teammate in a far better position, when you have a very tight angle. Like I say that is absolutely basic football - completely the wrong decision.

6 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

I don’t suppose that means when you have a teammate in a far better position, when you have a very tight angle. Like I say that is absolutely basic football - completely the wrong decision.

This was discussed earlier - he wasn't alone in poor decision making. And it didn't cost, just as all those other errors didn't.

4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

This was discussed earlier - he wasn't alone in poor decision making. And it didn't cost, just as all those other errors didn't.

It did cost Jamie an open goal and a chance to start scoring again. It wasn’t the end of the world, but Perez doesn’t offer much at all if he doesn’t offer intelligent play - it’s the equivalent of Albrighton being lazy! Time to move on, but not great at all from Perez.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

It did cost Jamie an open goal and a chance to start scoring again. It wasn’t the end of the world, but Perez doesn’t offer much at all if he doesn’t offer intelligent play - it’s the equivalent of Albrighton being lazy! Time to move on, but not great at all from Perez.

Sure, of course it did. In much the same way that Vardy himself took an airshot shortly before we scored the opener, and Barnes also failed to lay a chance back. I don't think you'll find much disagreement that he should have passed, but he did loads right, and as someone said earlier, if we then let a goal in, that's on the defence of our goal, and nothing to do with a missed chance at the other end.

19 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

I agree, it was so much easier to have just rolled the ball across... plus when he did shoot it was miles over the bar. It was just a terrible decision. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

What about Maddisons Fantastic First Goal .....he could of Squared it...What about Barnes...Nacho was free

Fans take the obvious view, but also far Away in mind from the players immediate, Nano Second thoughts....I

This has been a nonsense point scoring arguments, going Way back from when my Great grandad played football...

A Player places his chip....One day an hero, the Next bozo of the month...

Its football, that insent moments adrenelin....Maddison & Barnes stories could also have taken Another twist....

Deeper breaths,Deep thought and a bit of joggen is what is required before Jumping in a very generalisation  Soap box..

And broiling up negatives....I

Has you see I offer up my honour to defend first, players decisions & attack Castle negative....because The negative Choice is the easy, Lazy Way out...

mind you somewhere down through time, even if Sir Vardy does it.....I might want to cut his gizzards out...I

Also you have to put it to bed...Vardy missed 5 chances....shall We put him in the stocks

Edited by fuchsntf

5 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

What about Maddisons Fantastic First Goal .....he could of Squared it...What about Barnes...Nacho was free

Fans take the obvious view, but also far Away in mind from the players immediate, Nano Second thoughts....I

This has been a nonsense point scoring arguments, going Way back from when my Great grandad played football...

A Player places his chip....One day an hero, the Next bozo of the month...

Its football, that insent moments adrenelin....Maddison & Barnes stories could also have taken Another twist....

Deeper breaths,Deep thought and a bit of joggen is what is required before Jumping in a very generalisation  Soap box..

And broiling up negatives....I

Has you see I offer up my honour to defend first, players decisions & attack Castle negative....because The negative Choice is the easy, Lazy Way out...

mind you somewhere down through time, even if Sir Vardy does it.....I might want to cut his gizzards out...I

Also you have to put it to bed...Vardy missed 5 chances....shall We put him in the stocks

Nice post - I think it was really poor play, but others see something different, I get that. 

2 hours ago, Kevin Russell said:

I think we all agree its the wrong decision, but remember players have to think on the spot, and if the manager has encouraged you to shoot, then you are more likely to do so, I am sure once perez seen the replay he will also have realised he should have passed.

• Like 2

Strikers are selfish, and need to be by the very nature of what they do. He had every right to take the shot on having got himself in 1v1. Had he already got himself a goal or two or was on 9/10 for the season then he may well have squared it.

As, as been mentioned, they’d been asked to shoot more and that’s how it should be, some you win some you lose. What if Vardy scuffed his shot, or the keeper got across and blocked it, nothing is guaranteed.