Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 2-0 Southampton - Post-Match Thread

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

For all Saints ‘pressure’, really didn’t think they created an awful lot. Certainly not a clear cut chance. Hate to be that guy but xG of 0.6 odd proves that as well

All ifs and buts, but the one that stands out for me was Bertrand getting his cross wrong to Adams in the 2nd half. He plays that along the ground and it's 1-1, we're all talking about a different game.

They were severely under strength last night, just putting Ings back in their starting line up would have probably yielded a different result.

They didn't create much, agreed, but they were a few key decisions away from a very good away performance. They pressed and contained and denied us anything 1st half.

One moment of class from Maddison turned their game plan upside down, was a great time to score for us.

Southampton didn't "pressure" us much in terms of creating too much, but they did stop us playing. If Maddison didn't score when he did and if Bertrand plays the cross along the floor, then we're all here moaning about how poor our Home form is.

If my aunt had wheels, she'd be a bike...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

He might be a one-eyed pundit...

Certainly last night he was - on and on about Southampton's qualities when City were equally as accomplished and, as the game progressed, clearly creating more scoring opportunities. I'm biased of course but not so much that I'm imagining this favouritism.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

All ifs and buts, but the one that stands out for me was Bertrand getting his cross wrong to Adams in the 2nd half. He plays that along the ground and it's 1-1, we're all talking about a different game.

They were severely under strength last night, just putting Ings back in their starting line up would have probably yielded a different result.

They didn't create much, agreed, but they were a few key decisions away from a very good away performance. They pressed and contained and denied us anything 1st half.

One moment of class from Maddison turned their game plan upside down, was a great time to score for us.

Southampton didn't "pressure" us much in terms of creating too much, but they did stop us playing. If Maddison didn't score when he did and if Bertrand plays the cross along the floor, then we're all here moaning about how poor our Home form is.

If my aunt had wheels, she'd be a bike...

I must have been watching a different game to be fair, even when Armstrong hit the bar, I couldn’t see them scoring. 
It was mentioned 2 or 3  times in the match thread that they would tire second half and it would be a different game and so it was. 
A more complete outfit would maintain their press for 90 minutes if that is their thing.

They looked exactly like they are talked about and nothing more.

3 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

Perez? It looked extremely tight in the 1 replay shown on MotD. 

I was surprised the assistant flagged so quickly. It would've been interesting if we had scored and it had gone to VAR.

I appreciate that. I just find the anger at what might have potentially been a big error of judgement depressing. He did the wrong thing - yes. Did it cost? No. 

'If only' doesn't count as an argument when we lose, I don't really understand why it has any greater value when we win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

I appreciate that. I just find the anger at what might have potentially been a big error of judgement depressing. He did the wrong thing - yes. Did it cost? No. 

'If only' doesn't count as an argument when we lose, I don't really understand why it has any greater value when we win.

Oh I agree. I've liked Perez's contributions in recent games.

I was just commenting on the off-side. I only saw the replay this morning and was surprised it was flagged so readily.

A very good result against a very good team.

These are the games we need to win and certainly not lose if we are to have any chance of the top 4 this season. With things so tight every result like this gains importance.

Edited by reynard

Made hard work of that and it was far from pretty. That said, to be able to play poorly, and still beat a team like Southampton, has to go down as a great result.

Beating teams like these, when playing like we did, is a big positive.. 

46 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

Oh I agree. I've liked Perez's contributions in recent games.

I was just commenting on the off-side. I only saw the replay this morning and was surprised it was flagged so readily.

I think he put it up as the shot landed in the kop ..... so annoyed he didn’t square that ........every Man City player squares that to vards .... liverpool players (Salah apart ) also do,  Brendan will be sending him that video link this morning ! 

1 hour ago, murphy said:

He did win two La Liga titles and might equally be remembered for that spectacular volley in the Champion's League Final which he also won twice.

He might be a one-eyed pundit, but he is one of the most decorated English players of recent times.

The issue is broadcasters taking being a very decorated player and assuming that means they're a good commentator or analyst. 

6 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

The issue is broadcasters taking being a very decorated player and assuming that means they're a good commentator or analyst. 

That is a valid point though it isn’t the issue at all regarding Murphy’s comment. He was responding directly to someone who was stating he would always be remembered for falling over and never winning a title and Murphy, quite rightly, pointed out he had a great playing career. 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 3

Just now, RumbleFox said:

That is a valid point though it isn’t the issue at all regarding Murphy’s comment. He was responding directly to someone who was stating he would always be remember for talking over and never winning a title and Murphy, quite rightly, pointed out he had a great playing career. 

Yeah for sure I've taken this off on a tangent a little. People will remember players how they want to. Some will remember Gerrard for his slip, others for the numerous things he did for Liverpool

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Yeah for sure I've taken this off on a tangent a little. People will remember players how they want to. Some will remember Gerrard for his slip, others for the numerous things he did for Liverpool

Yeah I mean I remember Lennon fondly as a player but he’s an absolute nobber as a manger/person. But I would never equate the two. 

1 hour ago, Plastik Man said:

Perez? It looked extremely tight in the 1 replay shown on MotD. 

I was surprised the assistant flagged so quickly. It would've been interesting if we had scored and it had gone to VAR.

I thought he was on-side or at least very close. I think VAR would have been getting the lines out. Did Perez even look up as he ran through? I only wonder because he found himself in a valid spot as a striker to shoot so maybe he was caught with tunnel vision. Vardy had a mare of a game (at least in shooting terms) but I'm betting he was fuming. It would have been a goal on a plate and good to keep his stats ticking over. 

• Like 1

Lovely stuff, a good win especially as we've been struggling at home. Southampton were reasonably effective but we're just reactionary to what we were doing, "doing a job" on Youri for example, they were just trying to negate us rather than imposing themselves.

They can cry about having players out but we managed OK with half our first team out earlier in the season. That's the difference between true contenders and a flash in the pan side that get excited about going top for an evening. :thumbup:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Lovely stuff, a good win especially as we've been struggling at home. Southampton were reasonably effective but we're just reactionary to what we were doing, "doing a job" on Youri for example, they were just trying to negate us rather than imposing themselves.

They can cry about having players out but we managed OK with half our first team out earlier in the season. That's the difference between true contenders and a flash in the pan side that get excited about going top for an evening. :thumbup:

That's a bit of an arrogant statement. Rodgers literally said that the common denominator for our drop-off last season was that 'we were missing our best players'. Southampton's squad obviously isn't as strong as ours. They've not had the money or pull to get in the calibre of players we have over the past years (notably Castagne, Fofana and Ünder for us this year), so they will obviously cope differently. Take Vardy or Ings for them out of the side and suddenly it's a rather toothless attack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gerblod said:

Certainly last night he was - on and on about Southampton's qualities when City were equally as accomplished and, as the game progressed, clearly creating more scoring opportunities. I'm biased of course but not so much that I'm imagining this favouritism.

I honestly thought we were better than either the commentator or some of the comments here indicated. At half time I thought it would be 2-0 or 3-1 and I think 3-0 would have not been overflattering. Remember Tielemans playing one bad pass and sprinting back 40 yards chasing although I think Justin rescued us. I thought we looked determined to sort our home form .

• Like 1