Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

This Era of Supporting Our Club

Mentioned in another topic, but it's not everyday someone at Barcelona references Leicester as a club to look at and respect :wub:

Following a break of seven months, Abidal is ready for a new challenge, which could potentially bring him to England and the Premier League. He has been impressed by many clubs around the world, but particularly Leicester City.

“When I started my masters in 2015 with Uefa and at the Centre for Sports Law and Economics in Limoges in France, I was really convinced that my future would be as a sporting director,” said Abidal. “And after two years’ experience at Barcelona, I can tell you 100 per cent that this is what I want to do.

“You don’t have a lot of clubs like Barcelona. But if you have a club with a real project, focus on the academy, focus on the performance of the first-team, really good balance between economy and performance and, as well, a small team of decision makers, this would be an environment that would be good for me because you have to deal with a few people who all go in the same direction to achieve the same objective. This is my philosophy.

“Around the world, Leicester City is one of the clubs I am really impressed with. I talked to them while I was at Barcelona and they are very focused on the target and everybody knows their role. The atmosphere internally in the club is very positive as well and everybody feels comfortable and they are taking good decisions. They are not scared to take different coaches when they make changes. I’ve been very impressed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dorkingfox said:

Enjoy it while you can, I have folled the Foxes since the mid sixties, even then when I move to Loughborough, Leicester fans were in the minority, most were glory hunters. A few followed their pasrents when they moved into the area from up North and there were a few Forest and Derby fands as Loughborough in central to the three cities, but most supported Liverlpool, Everton, Manure and Spurs. A few Villa and Newcastle supporters as well.

Were I live now Chelsea and Palace are the nearest clubs and I tried to get my three to follow a local team to where they were born, but they all chose the Foxes and I did tell them this would be very frustrating, but they stuck with it, however we all follow the Chicks (Dorking Wanders). What is odd, I suppose it is Surrey, most people seem to support Manure and Liverpool, with a handfull of Chelsea and Arsenal supporters and a few brighton and Portsmouth fans.

Got loads of time for that, good on you. 

On 21/03/2021 at 20:31, StanSP said:

A golden era, for sure.

A record-breaking Championship-winning season.
A monumental Great Escape in our first season back in the Premier League for 10 years.

A Premier League title.

Reaching the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

Finishing 5th in the league.

Playing in the Europa League.

On set for a strong finish in the league this season.

Reaching the FA Cup semi-final for the first time in a lot of our lifetimes. 

World class players - instead of just one or two in the squad, we have pure quality all around the squad. One of the best British managers in charge. One of the best owners in the land. 

I am so proud of where the club is at right now, and for anyone - players & staff - at the club right now. We're making progress season by season, establishing ourselves as a team to be taken seriously as time goes by and our stature grows and grows.

We've come a long way in such a short time and I can't wait for the journey to continue, even more so if fans can attend a final (should we get there) and for beyond this season anyway :wub:.

:appl:  easy comfortable thoughts, that prove how far we have Really come...and to you sir, I'll Drink to that...:cheers:

• Like 1

On 21/03/2021 at 20:43, Fox92 said:

Unreal.

Another trophy would be lovely too so that we've got something as well as the title win.

Brendan has taken us to the next level in terms of keeping us consistently in the top 6.

On 21/03/2021 at 20:43, Webbo said:

We started this century with a league cup win and its undoubtedly our most eventful 21 years ever. Good, bad worse, hope, better, brilliant and then unbelievable. A cup win would complete the set for us. 

This to me is Why achieving a cup win, more than a  > must Top 4 <  actually confirms and Puts a stamp on reaching this high-level competing run..

Even without titles..Spurs & Arsenal have had Top periods of Great cup runs..though Spurs have founded of late..!!

This cup Run position, will excite us all...But in good old Leicester-DNA fashion :ill:, we will be shitting ourselves just thinking of Southampton,

Then After that, if we get through, we might get the Double over both Chelsea & Man.city....and still have nightmares that, that 3 times lucky game

will be a Hope & Dream too far...

Jesus...Do We have problems...:doh:   Supporting Leicester aint the easy or comfortable choice..!

2 hours ago, Hollyfox said:

I was always a bit embarrassed, wearing my Leicester shirt around Bedford but real fans respected it. 

Now I'm just embarrassed to wear one because I'm a fat bastard. 

Cant even get mine over my head...:twitch:

On 21/03/2021 at 21:45, Steve Earle said:

Just wanted to add, for younger posters, this is the third golden era of my lifetime: Bloomfield, O’Neill and now. 
People lucky enough (?) to be 6-7 years older than me saw the last truly golden era under Matt Gillies, when, in 1963 we arguably should have won either the league or the cup or both.
This era, surely, rivals that? If we were, miraculously, to win the FA Cup this season, it would seal this as our best ever era, and make this our second best season ever.

As they say, what a time to be alive!

Agree..I lived and enjoyed the Gillies era, carried Great memories Deep into Today of the Bloomfield and his players era...

If Now or the Next 2-5 years we pick up silverware & consistently Top 5 Or even Top 4 positions,

it will Historically Finish ( whenever that be)  our best ever era...And arguably Extinguish some  choices of clubs best ever players & manager...

though getting Rowley,Mclintock,King,Gibson, Cross, Weller,Worthington,Glover,Whitworth,Elliot,Izzet out of my thoughts

would be bloody impossible,

I suppose thats what define individual memories....

One reason I can respect the entitled thoughts of the decent humble fans thoughts  from the Top 6..

If is fair to recognise & respect their Conveyer-belts of greats Leaving behind a wide spectrum n kaleidescope of memories,

even from a neutral, who has ridden the "cursed-dislike Horse"  periods/moments of those clubs

that produced across many eras many a great playing idols & managers...

Its thinking of those thoughts und memories of others, that makes/gives this "our era" 

that exciting ,special even trepid realisation that we are Now Living and Experiencing

possibly our best ever era in the clubs history....

It will make an old man Childish Football fan very happy when life gives

me a going-away present...Hoping I still have a few years before life asks me to unwrap & Open it...

I am still hoping/determined to be One of the First and few to Traverse on/over The Chinese-Wall,

including the breaks & Ruins, with my wheel-chair,

& somewhere in the Middle of the journey...hear that Leicester have won the Champions-league,

or even better,  actually catch it on either Mongolian or Chinese TV....

Ambitions/aspirations.Hey ??  !!! They cant half  get in the way of life sometimes..!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

I always thought the O’Neill years were the best we could ever hope for and I was actually quite happy with that. I still look back on that team with such fondness. I genuinely believe that you experience football differently when you are young. It’s something about all the players being older than you I think. Players like Elliott, Taggart, etc. They seemed like proper grown ups to me and were easy to idolise. I think as you get to the point where you’re older than the players it’s difficult to hero worship or idolise them in the same way. I’m not saying it’s worse but it’s definitely different. 

I still look back on the O’Neill years with a sense of wonder and probably enjoyed it all just as much as I’m enjoying the current team. Also it was pre-internet pretty much so there wasn’t the daily feed of news and as much as I love this forum it does sometimes take the joy from football haha.

Regarding the current era, it truly is golden. We’ll likely never know anything like it again. In fact, even if we won the league again it would never be quite the same as that first one. What we did was genuinely miraculous and all the pain and near misses and years of dross beforehand just made it all the sweeter. I still can’t believe it. I think the season or two after we won I felt a bit numb. I was almost worried that football had been ruined for me. Like we’d completed it?!? What was the point? This year though has been incredible, back in love with it all. I have no idea where we are headed or how long this will last but I’m just trying to enjoy every moment and not take any of it for granted.

X

• Like 4

I think I’m a bit of an oldie on here so was brought up watching Leicester properly during the Brian Little years. That was a magic time...loads of away days, Pen 2, atmosphere, some hostility etc 

Then the MoN years... promotion with Clagger’s shin, Wembley finals etc

These are all etched into the memory and hopefully never to be forgotten.

Then Pearson and all the trials and tribulations of having Nige as manager. Ostrich gate etc

But I genuinely think we now have the best side we’ve probably ever had. 
It’s been a shame not going to games but I’ve watched every one on the box and am still excited by our progress. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...