Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

This Era of Supporting Our Club

I was reading back on an old Facebook post from the title winning season and my mate who is a forest fan was saying how he wasnt alive through their golden era.

We really are an incredibly lucky bunch. I remember always watching teams like West Brom come to our place in the championship and score last minute winners while it become obvious they were going up and thinking “I wish that was us” **** me have we eclipsed that!

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I started going to Filbert Street in 1988. 

I though shouting 'Pleat Out and 'Sack the board was normal.

I begged my dad to take me and I wouldn't swap it for the World.

Been there through thick and thin...and thinner.

What a ride.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, my 14-year-old stepson thinks it's always like this lol

He's only got into football in the last couple of years and thankfully been influenced by me, even though I live in Northampton now.

We got to a few games before lockdown and he loves it.

I tell him about the dark days, but I think he thinks I'm joking lol

At least he didn't end up a glory supporting Man Utd fan like his dad, who hates me even more after today.

Maybe if he'd bothered with his son he'd have got his way. 

Would love to celebrate a cup win with my step-son :thumbup:

Edit...and my new step-dad @Parafox

I'll be there with you... on my knee.

Thanks for acknowledging me, even though I haven't seen you for 41 years, I always knew you'd turn out a decent guy.

****, where is this going???

• Haha 1

Just wanted to add, for younger posters, this is the third golden era of my lifetime: Bloomfield, O’Neill and now. 
People lucky enough (?) to be 6-7 years older than me saw the last truly golden era under Matt Gillies, when, in 1963 we arguably should have won either the league or the cup or both.
This era, surely, rivals that? If we were, miraculously, to win the FA Cup this season, it would seal this as our best ever era, and make this our second best season ever.

As they say, what a time to be alive!

• Like 4

Just now, Parafox said:

I'll be there with you... on my knee.

Thanks for acknowledging me, even though I haven't seen you for 41 years, I always knew you'd turn out a decent guy.

****, where is this going???

Just write me into your will and we're cool lol

I don't even know how it started! 

I envy the people who've seen us in cup finals, my real dad included.

He was 17 and at Wembley in 1969.

He's now 69 years old.

Let that sink in. It's been that long since we've been there.

I don't think the 1980's were that long ago really. But I was 30 months old the last time we reached an FA Cup semi!!!

If you remember that, I don't think you can call me young, maybe realise you're old lol

This is so much more than a brief successful era. You look back at previous successful spells like the MON years and the players you remember pretty much all played together in the same team. Izzet, Elliott, Lennon etc. We won the league a few years ago and for a club our size you would rightly expect that 11 to go down in history, synonymous with this period in our history.

It still will of course. We haven't forgotten the Huths, the Kantés, Mahrez etc.

But we now have an 11 that we will all look back on fondly that only has 2, arguably 3 from that 11 still in it.

It's at this point it goes beyond a successful spell and you begin to talk about a club establishing themselves at the top of the sport.

Unbelievable really. Around those Mandaric days, though there was some optimism with the new money injected into the club, there was a tangible fear that we were doomed to dwindling in the lower echelons of the second tier. When we went a step worse than that, not in your wildest dreams could you have imagined it would be the catalyst for a journey to a sustainable and prolonged existence at the top.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 1

I was thinking at the last game I went to, we look out at the pitch not at one or two key men or star players but quality all over, no weak link and trust them all to do their jobs. Up front week in week out we have a living legend not just of our club but of the game itself. There's Wilf, Youri, top drawer at what they do Madison, Barnes, the reliable Evans, Ricardo ripping up and down the flank, Kasper making worldie saves, it's an absolute treat. Started to take it for granted to a degree but we really are functioning at a high level and if we can ever take off our blue tinted specs it must be a fascinating time for the neutrals with lots of clubs having top players and results not being so predictable. The boardrooms of the so called big six all want the Champions League money and instead of 2 there could be 3 disappointed this time around. Arsenal have had a clear out and look to be re-modeling but the others would really expect to be there. Ready yourself for the media revolt as they "sell" our assets and salivate over who they think will get them, despite the back patting you still feel the uninvited guest at the party sometimes but if that means less pressure on our boys then fine, keep chatting s**t about your six favorites Sky. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

A golden era, for sure.

A record-breaking Championship-winning season.
A monumental Great Escape in our first season back in the Premier League for 10 years.

A Premier League title.

Reaching the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

Finishing 5th in the league.

Playing in the Europa League.

On set for a strong finish in the league this season.

Reaching the FA Cup semi-final for the first time in a lot of our lifetimes. 

World class players - instead of just one or two in the squad, we have pure quality all around the squad. One of the best British managers in charge. One of the best owners in the land. 

I am so proud of where the club is at right now, and for anyone - players & staff - at the club right now. We're making progress season by season, establishing ourselves as a team to be taken seriously as time goes by and our stature grows and grows.

We've come a long way in such a short time and I can't wait for the journey to continue, even more so if fans can attend a final (should we get there) and for beyond this season anyway :wub:.

So its agreed then.....relegation next season!

10 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

This is so much more than a brief successful era. You look back at previous successful spells like the MON years and the players you remember pretty much all played together in the same team. Izzet, Elliott, Lennon etc. We won the league a few years ago and for a club our size you would rightly expect that 11 to go down in history, synonymous with this period in our history.

It still will of course. We haven't forgotten the Huths, the Kantés, Mahrez etc.

But we now have an 11 that we will all look back on fondly that only has 2, arguably 3 from that 11 still in it.

It's at this point it goes beyond a successful spell and you begin to talk about a club establishing themselves at the top of the sport.

Unbelievable really. Around those Mandaric days, though there was some optimism with the new money injected into the club, there was a tangible fear that we were doomed to dwindling in the lower echelons of the second tier. When we went a step worse than that, not in your wildest dreams could you have imagined it would be the catalyst for a journey to a sustainable and prolonged existence at the top.

To sum that up, we've historically been a yo-yo club.

We're building something special here now. 

Challenging the establishment and they don't like it.

When I went to my first game with my Uncle, we beat West Ham 1-0 (23rd March 1985, I was nearly seven).  I got home and my Dad, who was working and couldn't go to the game, asked me if I enjoyed it.  He had (and still does) supported City since the 1950s.  I said I had.

He then told me that I shouldn't get used to us winning, that we never win trophies, and that he would understand if I wanted to support a "better" team like my mates at school.  I said no, carried on going to games (eventually with him) and went everywhere home and away until work got in the way of me being able to.

The last season that I went to every game was the League One season, which I loved.  When we won those two League Cup finals me and my Dad genuinely thought that was as far as we could go.

When we won the league, it felt like completing a video game, we'd never get that high again.  All we did was wind up the bigger teams who went out and spent money we would never have... and yet we're still near the top of the league and have one the best teams to watch in Europe.

Just rang my dad and with each passing week we're astonished at how good this side is, and also at how professionally the club is run these days.  What a time to be alive.

• Like 2

What I love is that it all feels sustainable. 

The title win was amazing, and whilst it wasn’t a fluke it was patently obvious that we weren’t going to be challenging year in year out. Now this team hasn’t scaled anywhere near the same heights, but it feels like we as a team, and as a club, are on an upward trajectory where European football and challenging for trophies can become a regular occurrence.

To go from targeting 40 points and staying up, to a realistic target of European football and a good run in the cups in the space of 5/6 years, without a Man City/Chelsea cash injection, is nothing short of amazing and makes me unbelievably proud to be an a Leicester fan.

• Like 2

Everything that is happening to our club now is exactly what I dreamt about us being back when I started supporting club as a kid in the early 90s. Classy players, good football, challenging near the top of the league and youth players coming through. It’s a special time.

9 minutes ago, Koke said:

Football is cyclical. In 30 years time Coventry may be playing Champions League (or maybe not) and we could be languishing 16th in the second tier. This is our best ever squad and I hope they win some trophies so they can be remembered as greats.

Have to disagree. The training ground and pending stadium expansion allows us to continue to attract players, which establishes our position.

You can never know for sure of course, but we're doing everything we possibly can to stack the odds in our favour.

In that period 2005-2008 it used to feel like bad luck being a Leicester fan. It felt like the glory years had come and gone and that the best we could hope for was an existence yo-yo’ing between first and second tier if we ever sorted ourselves out.

I now think we’re the luckiest set of fans in the country. You’d be hard pushed to find another club where you could count so many ups and downs and that’s what makes it so special: other fans who experience the ups have had nowhere near as many downs like we have which make the ups so much better.

If we can win the cup this year then we’ve completed English football. If we could then also win a European cup (Europa League should be within our sights) then we can just all call it a day and find a new sport.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

In that period 2005-2008 it used to feel like bad luck being a Leicester fan. It felt like the glory years had come and gone and that the best we could hope for was an existence yo-yo’ing between first and second tier if we ever sorted ourselves out.

I now think we’re the luckiest set of fans in the country. You’d be hard pushed to find another club where you could count so many ups and downs and that’s what makes it so special: other fans who experience the ups have had nowhere near as many downs like we have which make the ups so much better.

If we can win the cup this year then we’ve completed English football. If we could then also win a European cup (Europa League should be within our sights) then we can just all call it a day and find a new sport.

52luos.jpg

If we can win the FA Cup to complete the domestic set that probably ends our main goal, really. The FA Cup thing will always hang over us whilst we haven't won it.

All I wanted after promotion was for us to be an attractive, ambitious Premier League team with good players and managers. We've had, and got, that.

I don't expect it to last forever so I'm going to savour it.

• Like 1

I'm just happy to be a Leicester fan, all the so called big 6 clubs in the Premiership need to take note, we're not a fly by night one season wonder club, we're a club that has recently won the Premiership, a club that has recently got to the quarter finals of the Champions League, the only club this season not too have been out of the the top four in the Premiership, a club that respects it's fans, a club that is supported locally by true blue blooded fans, a team with ambitious owners, ( and they've got a few quid in there pockets) history has made it  that you top six clubs think you've got it made, Well I've got news for you all, we ain't here for the interim boys, we're here to stay, get used to it, cos one of yer is gonna be sulking when your top six status is taken away!! 🦊🦊

• Like 2

It's the quality (and potential) of the squad that really stands out these days. Feels like Soyuncu, Fofana, Ricardo, Tielemans, Ndidi, Barnes and Maddison could all get 20+ games a season at any club in the world. Then you've got Praet, Justin, Schmeicel, Evans, Castagne, Kelechi, Vardy all more than able. So the depth of talent is there so that we don't need to fear losing our one or two "star" players and the house of cards falling down.

There's just two things holding us back now; a bigger stadium and back to back Champions League qualification. Both would give a massive boost to our commercials and I've every confidence we're set up to deliver on them.

The football has certainly helped to made lockdown more bearable!