Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

This Era of Supporting Our Club

I’ve told my Leicester supporting son - not the Liverpool supporting cvnt who claims some sort of genetic link, that he too is a cvnt. This because I first started taking him to watch us play in League 1. Since then, by and large, we’ve gone from strength to strength and have had a run of success beyond all of our wildest dreams. Well, when I say all, I mean those of us who have supported the boys for a bit longer than my son - glory Hunter. Should cut his teeth on Coventry or something so he can taste the misery. 

anyway I may be digressing, so yeah, we’re doing all right ain’t we. Things are good. Long may it last. Let’s win the FA Cup, then CL next season. Lovely. 

Edited by ARM1968
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I think we Leicester fans have had the best supporter experience bar none in the years since we began that season in League One 

The big teams have won domestic and European trophies but by and large they have just done what was expected of them 

Our journey has been something else, including dramatic play off heartaches to the greatest of all escapes and the PL title against the greatest odds to now establishing ourselves as a top side on merit whilst not being able to match the financial resources of the established big six

More than anything I love what the owners have done, their passion for and commitment to our club and the ethos of togetherness and community that has been instilled as a core value 

I still pinch myself that all these things have happened to our club and that there is so much more to come 

By a mile.

I remember after that Stoke game thinking we'd probably turn into another 80s/90s Burnley or what Ipswich and Sunderland are now - a former big club pottering around the lower leagues for too long. Thought we'd struggle to come back up to the 2nd tier and seriously doubted we'd get back to the Premier League within a decade or even two. 

There are no words to describe what's happened since then.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SydenhamFox said:

My throat still hurts from cheering Vardy’s goal against West Brom. I’ll never forget that moment. 

I wasn't at that game and was actually listening on the radio, but had tears in my eyes when that goal went in. I think it was the first point I realised that it just might be on and that the team was on a bit of a roll. 

Will this success breed a different generation of City fan? 

Whilst I've always dreamed of us being where we are today I think I only really appreciate it because the majority of my time supporting the club we were knocking around the second tier. Growing up as the only Leicester fan in my social circle, none of my friends who all support so called bigger clubs truly know what it means to experience success. Many have/do take/n it for granted, yet my experience tells me that as great as this moment is you never know what's around the corner. It was ingrained in my at an early age from the generations that preceded me that there was a degree of acceptance that by supporting the club you were effectively committing to be the best fan that you could be whilst acknowledging the prospects of success were pretty bleak. 

I'm intrigued to see if future Leicester fans see this is our place in the footballing pyramid and what impact will that have on the demographic of the support base.

I guess both journeys have their pro's and cons but it could drastically change the DNA of our fans as we move forward. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I think we Leicester fans have had the best supporter experience bar none in the years since we began that season in League One 

The big teams have won domestic and European trophies but by and large they have just done what was expected of them 

Our journey has been something else, including dramatic play off heartaches to the greatest of all escapes and the PL title against the greatest odds to now establishing ourselves as a top side on merit whilst not being able to match the financial resources of the established big six

More than anything I love what the owners have done, their passion for and commitment to our club and the ethos of togetherness and community that has been instilled as a core value 

I still pinch myself that all these things have happened to our club and that there is so much more to come 

Even when we were just a Championship club we always seemed to be in the middle of drama. Play offs or relegation scraps. High profile takeovers or nearly going bust. Its been incredible. Wouldnt change it for anything.

3 hours ago, TrentFox said:

For me, I think the biggest change in following the fortunes of this bonkers club has been around hope. For nigh on fifty years of my watching, I’ve ‘hoped’ we would win. That usually meant the other team would make a mistake or one of their players  would forget their boots or catch Ebola at halftime. But now the hope is all about us. Whether we can be out best selves. We are no longer dependent on luck and chance. We now genuinely can rival the performance levels of pretty much anyone we play. Love it. 

What a fantastic way of defining it.

• Thanks 1

Remember us losing out to the FA cup final in 1969 against Man City, watching it on TV. A 1-0 defeat.

What a time we've had, from going to physically seeing the City play from 1974 onwards, what a roller coaster ride it's been.

Good managers, Brian Little, Martin O'Neil, Pearson etc..

Bad Managers, Pleat, Taylor, and god knows who when Mandaric owned us.

FA cup Semi's, League Cup victories, play off wins and losses, promotion, relegation.

The low of being dumped into the 3rd tier for the first time in our history to the high of surviving relegation by the great escape.

Then the pinnacle of our achievements, Winning the Premiership.

I know many of you would forgo us winning the FA Cup for a place in the ECL this season, to me this is wrong.

Hopefully we reach the cup final and if it's Man city again, so be it. 

The difference this time is that we hopefully go on to win.

We will still make the ECL in my opinion this season, lets just go along for the ride.

Enjoy, because I'm sure that the future of Leicester City will contain many more highs and lows.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

Will this success breed a different generation of City fan? 

Whilst I've always dreamed of us being where we are today I think I only really appreciate it because the majority of my time supporting the club we were knocking around the second tier. Growing up as the only Leicester fan in my social circle, none of my friends who all support so called bigger clubs truly know what it means to experience success. Many have/do take/n it for granted, yet my experience tells me that as great as this moment is you never know what's around the corner. It was ingrained in my at an early age from the generations that preceded me that there was a degree of acceptance that by supporting the club you were effectively committing to be the best fan that you could be whilst acknowledging the prospects of success were pretty bleak. 

I'm intrigued to see if future Leicester fans see this is our place in the footballing pyramid and what impact will that have on the demographic of the support base.

I guess both journeys have their pro's and cons but it could drastically change the DNA of our fans as we move forward. 

I don't live in the city anymore but I'm told by family members that you now see more and more kids wearing City tops. It must be cool amongst peers now especially seeing the team beating those clubs that play in Red. 

Its getting ever more pressing that we increase capacity so that our growing fan base can actually experience what we have. 

• Like 1

Yes it's a far cry from some earlier years. I started following Leicester in 1974. We were okay, but after Jimmy Bloomfield, when Frank McLintock took over, that one year was probably the worst for me, (even than going down to League 1). We were so poor. McLintock bought a bunch of ageing players he'd played with etc. beforehand such as David Webb. I think we went down with 26 points. I remember one smart arse commentator saying that because people were saying it so often, we'd changed our name by deed poll to Leicester City Nil. 

When you list out what you have it's impressive, and I thought we'd never better the O'Neill years.

• Like 1

Enjoy it while you can, I have folled the Foxes since the mid sixties, even then when I move to Loughborough, Leicester fans were in the minority, most were glory hunters. A few followed their pasrents when they moved into the area from up North and there were a few Forest and Derby fands as Loughborough in central to the three cities, but most supported Liverlpool, Everton, Manure and Spurs. A few Villa and Newcastle supporters as well.

Were I live now Chelsea and Palace are the nearest clubs and I tried to get my three to follow a local team to where they were born, but they all chose the Foxes and I did tell them this would be very frustrating, but they stuck with it, however we all follow the Chicks (Dorking Wanders). What is odd, I suppose it is Surrey, most people seem to support Manure and Liverpool, with a handfull of Chelsea and Arsenal supporters and a few brighton and Portsmouth fans.

I realise its too early to get carried away but yesterday felt such a beautiful sweet moment. 

I had a brief moment at the end of the game. I didn't celebrate. Just held my head in my hands for a few seconds. I went back to 1982 in those few seconds. Just years and years of the FA Cup meaning so much to me came back. 

My Dad went to all three 60s finals and 74 semi both games. My grandad went to 49, both semi and final. 

• Like 1

Don’t know where to put this. I was looking at our strongest starting XI and imo it would look like this - 

Kasper   

Fofana  Evans  Soyuncu 

Ricardo                                 Justin    
              Ndidi   Tielmans   

Maddison 

Vardy  Nacho 

The point I’m making that’s an extremely good side. Then look at our options available to us on bench - Barnes, Praet, Perez, Castagne, Albrighton, Mendy, Amartey, Ward and Thomas. I may of missed others out. 
Some may argue Barnes should start but who do you drop on current form? Overall I can’t remember a time we’ve had potentially so many good options available to us. As already stated enjoy this period we’re in. 

• Like 1

On 21/03/2021 at 19:41, Jakemoore said:

I wear my Leicester shirt with pride more and more every day. I’ve always been a proud Leicester fan but this last 7/8 years have been something else. It’s just unbelievable! 

I was always a bit embarrassed, wearing my Leicester shirt around Bedford but real fans respected it. 

Now I'm just embarrassed to wear one because I'm a fat bastard. 

• Haha 1