Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Elden Ring

Few things on the website (https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/elden-ring):

• Story - The Golden Order has been broken. Rise, Tarnished, and be guided by grace to brandish the power of the Elden Ring and become an Elden Lord in the Lands Between.  In the Lands Between ruled by Queen Marika the Eternal, the Elden Ring, the source of the Erdtree, has been shattered.  Marika's offspring, demigods all, claimed the shards of the Elden Ring known as the Great Runes, and the mad taint of their newfound strength triggered a war: The Shattering. A war that meant abandonment by the Greater Will.  And now the guidance of grace will be brought to the Tarnished who were spurned by the grace of gold and exiled from the Lands Between. Ye dead who yet live, your grace long lost, follow the path to the Lands Between beyond the foggy sea to stand before the Elden Ring. And become the Elden Lord.
  • Features 

• World - Journey through the Lands Between, a new fantasy world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki, creator of the influential DARK SOULS video game series, and George R. R. Martin, author of The New York Times best-selling fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire. Unravel the mysteries of the Elden Ring’s power. Encounter adversaries with profound backgrounds, characters with their own unique motivations for helping or hindering your progress, and fearsome creatures.

• Exploration - ELDEN RING features vast fantastical landscapes and shadowy, complex dungeons that are connected seamlessly.  Traverse the breathtaking world on foot or on horseback, alone or online with other players, and fully immerse yourself in the grassy plains, suffocating swamps, spiraling mountains, foreboding castles and other sites of grandeur on a scale never seen before in a FromSoftware title. 

• Gameplay - Create your character in FromSoftware's refined action-RPG and define your playstyle by experimenting with a wide variety of weapons, magical abilities, and skills found throughout the world. Charge into battle, pick off enemies one-by-one using stealth, or even call upon allies for aid. Many options are at your disposal as you decide how to approach exploration and combat.

Curious about the online with other players aspect.  My experience with online in DS was basically legging it through Darkroot Garden.

Cant wait for this. I'm basically getting Dark Souls on horses vibe. Very excited for this but i'm interested to see how the combat is going to be. I'm assuming it's going to be in line with Dark/Demon souls. It would be cool if they had the Sekiro style parrying in combat for this game although I suppose it changes the whole game when you have that but man Sekiro was probably my favourite souls games out of them all. The combat was so satisfying. 

5 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I need to put a further 30 hours into Demon Souls to progress one or two levels first...lol

Will probably get this.  Wonder if it gets an E3 showing?

Bandai have got a brief at 10.25pm next Tuesday so hopefully more there!

On 10/06/2021 at 20:48, moore_94 said:

Never really got into any of the Souls games, but I might actually have to give this one a go

You should give them a try. The DS1 remaster was a clear cash grab and after playing the brilliant Demon's Souls remake it breaks my heart that the same love and care couldn't have gone into DS1 remaster. But it's still one of the best games ever made with arguably the best level designs to any game. You can skip DS2 and play DS3 without playing any of the other games imo. Excellent game that's closer to Bloodborne in terms of combat which was very welcome as Bloodborne was my other favorite game of last gen' (TLOU2 being the other). 

I think this was always coming out, but if I'm honest I'm surprised how Dark Souls-y it looks. The studio clearly have a style and this is it, but I did wonder after Sekiro if they'll go a completely different direction. Glad they haven't, this looks peak FromSoft, which makes me hyped as hell! Can't wait to play it. 

On 11/06/2021 at 14:00, Christoph said:

Cant wait for this. I'm basically getting Dark Souls on horses vibe. Very excited for this but i'm interested to see how the combat is going to be. I'm assuming it's going to be in line with Dark/Demon souls. It would be cool if they had the Sekiro style parrying in combat for this game although I suppose it changes the whole game when you have that but man Sekiro was probably my favourite souls games out of them all. The combat was so satisfying. 

FromSoft have had an A and B team for a while so I wonder after the success of Sekiro (I love that game too) whether one team will concentrate on these kinds of interesting and experimental game styles. If the Elden Ring team is basically the Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne team then the Sekiro team could well be developing something for 2023. 

https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-gameplay-hidetaka-miyazaki-interview-summer-of-gaming?utm_source=twitter

Miyazaki Explains How Elden Ring's Ambitious Gameplay Shakes Up the Soulsborne Formula

"We wanted to allow the player to combine these different elements to find their own strategy and even indirect approaches to combat if they wanted to," Miyazaki says. "So yes, this is something that we wanted to explore moreso than our previous games and really focus on [...] this level of variety and this level of freedom in combat."

There will be no resurrection mechanic

Unlike in Sekiro, where you could come back to life in the right circumstance, you won't be able to able to resurrect in Elden Ring. However, it will have a "couple elements" designed to keep players moving forward.

There's less of an emphasis on the stamina bar in Elden Ring

Stamina bar management has historically been a big deal in games like Dark Souls. Running out of stamina at exactly the wrong moment is a leading cause of death in FromSoftware's action games, since it leaves you wide open for attacks. But while Elden Ring will retain the stamina bar, Miyazaki is planning to put less emphasis on it this time around. "Yes, the stamina bar exists in Elden Ring, but we feel it has less influence on the player overall," Miyazaki says. "We wanted to make it feel less restricting again and contribute to that level of freedom moreso than our previous titles."

Elden Ring's stealth will be relatively simple

Elden Ring will have relatively simple stealth mechanics, but it will have a variety of uses, Miyazaki says. It will be possible to crouch and sneak through long grass en route to a familiar backstab attack. "We wanted to create these opportunities for players to see what lies ahead of them and below them and around them and to assess how they're going to confront that or not as the case may be. So stealth, while again it's a simple implementation, it allows for a lot more of these possibilities," Miyazaki says.

Elden Ring will have around 100 skills in total

Elden Ring will allow you to freely interchange skills between a large variety of weapons, Miyazaki says. FromSoftware's goal is rich, varied character creation that can be adjusted on the fly. "You're free to build your character with different weapons and equipment. You're free to learn magic as well," Miyazaki says. Some of these skills can be purchased from stores. "There are cases in which you can buy them [arts, magic, etc.] at stores or learn them from NPCs, but generally they are hidden throughout the game's world for the player to discover through exploration, rather than unlocking them through a skill tree as in previous titles."

You will be able to customize and craft items on the go

Miyazaki shed a bit more light on Elden Ring's customization during the interview. "You can customize and craft items on the go by using materials found in the world," he said. "There are also more resources to recover health on the way as you will be fighting for a longer time than before. The key word I think is retention and retaining sense of progression, so we wanted them to keep going, to keep that flow as they explore and they journey through the map."

Spirits will be a collectible element that can also help you in battle

Elden Ring will feature spirits that can be collected from defeated enemies and used as allies in battle. Miyazaki says there will be a "large variety of them," and they will be a "nice collectible hidden element" to encourage exploration. "They offer a lot of different strategic options, but also the player might find that they just like a certain enemy tagging along with them, a certain summon pleases them aesthetically," Miyazaki says. "So there's a lot of strategic and a lot of personal touch to these summons. And we hope that players will also enjoy discovering their own progression elements as well." It kind of sounds like... Pokemon?

29 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-gameplay-hidetaka-miyazaki-interview-summer-of-gaming?utm_source=twitter

Miyazaki Explains How Elden Ring's Ambitious Gameplay Shakes Up the Soulsborne Formula

"We wanted to allow the player to combine these different elements to find their own strategy and even indirect approaches to combat if they wanted to," Miyazaki says. "So yes, this is something that we wanted to explore moreso than our previous games and really focus on [...] this level of variety and this level of freedom in combat."

There will be no resurrection mechanic

Unlike in Sekiro, where you could come back to life in the right circumstance, you won't be able to able to resurrect in Elden Ring. However, it will have a "couple elements" designed to keep players moving forward.

There's less of an emphasis on the stamina bar in Elden Ring

Stamina bar management has historically been a big deal in games like Dark Souls. Running out of stamina at exactly the wrong moment is a leading cause of death in FromSoftware's action games, since it leaves you wide open for attacks. But while Elden Ring will retain the stamina bar, Miyazaki is planning to put less emphasis on it this time around. "Yes, the stamina bar exists in Elden Ring, but we feel it has less influence on the player overall," Miyazaki says. "We wanted to make it feel less restricting again and contribute to that level of freedom moreso than our previous titles."

Elden Ring's stealth will be relatively simple

Elden Ring will have relatively simple stealth mechanics, but it will have a variety of uses, Miyazaki says. It will be possible to crouch and sneak through long grass en route to a familiar backstab attack. "We wanted to create these opportunities for players to see what lies ahead of them and below them and around them and to assess how they're going to confront that or not as the case may be. So stealth, while again it's a simple implementation, it allows for a lot more of these possibilities," Miyazaki says.

Elden Ring will have around 100 skills in total

Elden Ring will allow you to freely interchange skills between a large variety of weapons, Miyazaki says. FromSoftware's goal is rich, varied character creation that can be adjusted on the fly. "You're free to build your character with different weapons and equipment. You're free to learn magic as well," Miyazaki says. Some of these skills can be purchased from stores. "There are cases in which you can buy them [arts, magic, etc.] at stores or learn them from NPCs, but generally they are hidden throughout the game's world for the player to discover through exploration, rather than unlocking them through a skill tree as in previous titles."

You will be able to customize and craft items on the go

Miyazaki shed a bit more light on Elden Ring's customization during the interview. "You can customize and craft items on the go by using materials found in the world," he said. "There are also more resources to recover health on the way as you will be fighting for a longer time than before. The key word I think is retention and retaining sense of progression, so we wanted them to keep going, to keep that flow as they explore and they journey through the map."

Spirits will be a collectible element that can also help you in battle

Elden Ring will feature spirits that can be collected from defeated enemies and used as allies in battle. Miyazaki says there will be a "large variety of them," and they will be a "nice collectible hidden element" to encourage exploration. "They offer a lot of different strategic options, but also the player might find that they just like a certain enemy tagging along with them, a certain summon pleases them aesthetically," Miyazaki says. "So there's a lot of strategic and a lot of personal touch to these summons. And we hope that players will also enjoy discovering their own progression elements as well." It kind of sounds like... Pokemon?

If they're not putting a huge amount of emphasis on the stamina bar I wonder how they'll balance it to stop players spamming hits/dodges or turtling behind a shield. As far as I can work out the skills/magic etc sound exactly the same as Souls games. The only interesting thing is they include "arts", that and the stealth suggests this will have some Sekiro in it. Not sure what I think about the stealth bit tbh. It's such a cheese in Sekiro. I also wonder whether their "journey through the map" will be more like Sekiro and less like Soul's use of estus flasks. That survival management as you make your way between bonfires/lamps/shrines has always been a big part of their games I hope they haven't removed it. 

Sounds like they're trying to say it will be bigger but less challenging than their previous games without outright stating it.  It was already drawing Skyrim comparisons but after reading that it sounds even more like a Dark Souls Skyrim, a Dark Rim if you will.

Incidentally if that sounds like your jam, you could do a lot worse than getting yourself a copy of Elex in the meantime. Just finished playing through it yesterday, an underappreciated gem of an ARPG where you're liable to be 1 or 2 shotted by even the basic starting enemies for like 90% of your playthrough.

Edited by Carl the Llama

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Idk if this is news but the release date has been... released. 22.02.22, literally around the corner, I thought it was much further away.

Same day as the next Destiny expansion.  Busy month that'll be, I genuinely can't wait for this, I adore these games.