Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Anonymous fox

Homelessness

HI,

I'm a regular poster on this forum but have decided to create another account to remain anonymous through embarrassment mainly. 

Never thought I'd be saying this bit tonight I prepare myself for my first night of homelessness. Its self inflicted and I do have options to go back to Leicester to stay with family but that would mean me losing my job which will only create further problems. I also want to stay where I am to be closer to my 2 children. 

I've been searching for shared accommodation but so far nothing is happening too quick. 

Has anybody on here ever slept through and could maybe pass on some words of wisdom or anything 

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

You could see if there are any cheap hostels near you, would at least keep you in the dry while you get your affairs in order

I feel like I need to save any money I have for any deposits or rent I'll have to pay. I suppose the weather is good at least

Just now, Anonymous fox said:

Not any good ones. I'm a bot terrified if I'm completely honest

I'm not surprised to be honest, I definitely would be. If there are any mates you can call, I would call them - couch surfing is a lot safer than sleeping on the street, but does mean you may have to swallow your pride. Obviously don't know your situation and whether that's viable, but hope things turn around for you.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Anonymous fox said:

I feel like I need to save any money I have for any deposits or rent I'll have to pay. I suppose the weather is good at least

Fair, have you looked at places on spareroom.com? I've had decent success with that site in the past.

10 minutes ago, Anonymous fox said:

HI,

I'm a regular poster on this forum but have decided to create another account to remain anonymous through embarrassment mainly. 

Never thought I'd be saying this bit tonight I prepare myself for my first night of homelessness. Its self inflicted and I do have options to go back to Leicester to stay with family but that would mean me losing my job which will only create further problems. I also want to stay where I am to be closer to my 2 children. 

I've been searching for shared accommodation but so far nothing is happening too quick. 

Has anybody on here ever slept through and could maybe pass on some words of wisdom or anything 

Thanks 

I have, but through choice rather than necessity.

If you're seriously considering sleeping rough then I would suggest investing in a waterproof hooped bivvy bag (something like this); smaller than a tent, you can sleep pretty much anywhere there is space to lay down. They are very light and fold up small. Avoid streets and shop doorways, instead look for somewhere in a park, preferably among trees or bushes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I once found our neighbour sleeping in our shed and the homeless services for middle aged males is very poor. They don't consider you to be vulnerable in any way so they don't want to help.

Have you called the local YMCA? The one in Leicester is very very good, but often full.

Though in this scenario, whilst waiting for a room to get sorted, I would look at Airbnb. You can get rooms for as low as £21 per night which might be enough to tide you over.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, kenny said:

I once found our neighbour sleeping in our shed and the homeless services for middle aged males is very poor. They don't consider you to be vulnerable in any way so they don't want to help.

Have you called the local YMCA? The one in Leicester is very very good, but often full.

Though in this scenario, whilst waiting for a room to get sorted, I would look at Airbnb. You can get rooms for as low as £21 per night which might be enough to tide you over.

To add to this, you obviously seem like you aren't sure where to turn for support. As such, visiting the YMCA would be of help even if they cannot assist with your short term accommodation issues.

They provide a variety of services to help people in trouble stabilise their lives and could be a helpful avenue to you generally. https://www.ymca.org.uk/about/what-we-do

• Thanks 1

Just now, Anonymous fox said:

West Norfolk (kings lynn, downham market)

I know precious few people in that area; but I do know of some charities I work with who may be able to do something. Let me also speak to some insurance brokers I work with who may also have some contacts in the sector.

I can only really reinforce what has been suggested here:

- speak to your local council (ASAP; turn up in person... not sure if this still works in Covid times, but a phonecall/email is so easily ignored)

- speak to any homeless charities you can; nationals/locals whatever... advice and contacts is everything

- speak to hostels/YMCA etc... actually this is the same advice as above.

If I can get a firm contact for you very soon, I will DM it to you.

Is there a hotel somewhere you can get in for tonight ? DM me (if I end up randomly banned again; I may not be able to respond, but may be able to read it; perhaps in that DM, share your phone number).

I'm now busy for much of the rest of the day with remote meetings, but partly as I'm isolating anyway, I can give this some more attention tonight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The People's Hero said:

I know precious few people in that area; but I do know of some charities I work with who may be able to do something. Let me also speak to some insurance brokers I work with who may also have some contacts in the sector.

I can only really reinforce what has been suggested here:

- speak to your local council (ASAP; turn up in person... not sure if this still works in Covid times, but a phonecall/email is so easily ignored)

- speak to any homeless charities you can; nationals/locals whatever... advice and contacts is everything

- speak to hostels/YMCA etc... actually this is the same advice as above.

If I can get a firm contact for you very soon, I will DM it to you.

Thank you I really appreciate it. The councils out this way are awful enough for families so don't see them having any interest in a 32 year old single man

Reckon the charities are looking like tge way to go or just sleep rough until one of these spareroom places come through

You've probably already seen this from the King's Lynn council website:

To get a place in most hostels and night shelters, you'll need a referral from us. However, there is one hostel in West Norfolk where you can just turn up in person:

• Merchants Terrace, 92-94 London Road, King's Lynn

Further info about the hostel:

https://www.homeless.org.uk/homeless-england/service/sanctuary-supported-living-merchants-terrace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1