Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Hughes & Hume Have Got to Start on Saturday!

If we want to give ourselves any chance of beating Sheffield United on saturday then Hughes and Hume have got to start. It's also imperitive that we get something out of saturdays game as we have 3 pretty big and hard games coming up that if we lost them all we'd end up right in the shit.

Hughes for me still hasn't showed his true potential and I certainly don't get over excited about him like quite a few fans do on here. I watched him a few times at Rangers and thought he looked an excellent prospect but since he's come here he's been distinctively average and it's time he stepped up a gear and carried this team forward as we are desperate for players with his talent in the team. He doesn't score enough or create enough goals for us and people might shoot me down here but even Gudjonsson has been more creative than Hughes has been since he's been here. But he's got class in those boots of his and he should be showing it, Levein needs to get him fit and mould the team around him, Hume and Smith.

As for Hume, he's our best forward. He WILL score goals for us but needs games to settle down and get to grips with this disgusting league we are in. de Vries is the best option to play him alongside as Elvis is struggling to keep his head above water and his technique to paddle out of it is somewhat to be desired.

So let's get these two pocket dynamite's in the team alongside the genius that is Ryan Smith and stop being scared of the opposition, especially when we are playing at home. McCarthy and Gerrbrand are good enough to cope with the opposition on the break and even if we concede a few we shouldn't have any qualms about putting a few away ourselves. We've tried to be hard to beat first and then score and it isn't reaping the rewards so let's go gung ho against a team who will certainly come here and attack and if we get a few early goals like we did last season against them then it will be a thrilling game for once.

Let's gem 'em on the ropes and batter them.

If we want to give ourselves any chance of beating Sheffield United on saturday then Hughes and Hume have got to start. It's also imperitive that we get something out of saturdays game as we have 3 pretty big and hard games coming up that if we lost them all we'd end up right in the shit.

Hughes for me still hasn't showed his true potential and I certainly don't get over excited about him like quite a few fans do on here. I watched him a few times at Rangers and thought he looked an excellent prospect but since he's come here he's been distinctively average and it's time he stepped up a gear and carried this team forward as we are desperate for players with his talent in the team. He doesn't score enough or create enough goals for us and people might shoot me down here but even Gudjonsson has been more creative than Hughes has been since he's been here. But he's got class in those boots of his and he should be showing it, Levein needs to get him fit and mould the team around him, Hume and Smith.

As for Hume, he's our best forward. He WILL score goals for us but needs games to settle down and get to grips with this disgusting league we are in. de Vries is the best option to play him alongside as Elvis is struggling to keep his head above water and his technique to paddle out of it is somewhat to be desired.

So let's get these two pocket dynamite's in the team alongside the genius that is Ryan Smith and stop being scared of the opposition, especially when we are playing at home. McCarthy and Gerrbrand are good enough to cope with the opposition on the break and even if we concede a few we shouldn't have any qualms about putting a few away ourselves. We've tried to be hard to beat first and then score and it isn't reaping the rewards so let's go gung ho against a team who will certainly come here and attack and if we get a few early goals like we did last season against them then it will be a thrilling game for once.

Agreed Hume has to start, Hammond has had his chance and failed miserably in my view, give Humey a go!! Come on Humey!!!!!! :devil::devil:

Its no good telling us, we know all this its CL you need to convince - good luck with that Ric :devil:

I'm with you over Hume and really cannot understand why he's not been a permanent part of the team.

As for Hughes, despite the feverish anticipation of his return and the assurance from various quarters that he is a gift from God, I have yet to see him play a decent game.

Will someone tell me what he does well?

At this time Joey is the only player who justifies his place in midfield. Hume would probably be my second choice. It is not our strongest department.

I'm with you over Hume and really cannot understand why he's not been a permanent part of the team.

As for Hughes, despite the feverish anticipation of his return and the assurance from various quarters that he is a gift from God, I have yet to see him play a decent game.

At this time Joey is the only player who justifies his place in midfield. Hume would probably be my second choice. It is not our strongest department.

Sad thing is though with the so called "talent" we have in that department it should be our strongest department.

Agreed Hume has to start, Hammond has had his chance and failed miserably in my view, give Humey a go!! Come on Humey!!!!!! :devil::devil:

Hammond has "failed" alongside de lump. Give them both a chance with eachother, then we can argue they`ve been given a decent chance.

Whilst were at it, play to THEIR strengths.

Hammond has "failed" alongside de lump. Give them both a chance with eachother, then we can argue they`ve been given a decent chance.

Whilst were at it, play to THEIR strengths.

The poor guy (Hammond) doesn't know the off side rule, he needs to go back to the reserves, learn and learn how to beat it, then he should be allowed back into the first team!!! :D

:o

Hughes has been injured practically all season, so it's no wonder you haven't seen the best of him yet. Clearly you missed the Derby, Leeds, West Ham and Sunderland games last season - Hughes was superb in all, as well as others.

:o

Hughes has been injured practically all season, so it's no wonder you haven't seen the best of him yet. Clearly you missed the Derby, Leeds, West Ham and Sunderland games last season - Hughes was superb in all, as well as others.

Indeed, family circumstances made me miss all of those games last season, and I'm delighted to be reassured that Hughes really is potentially brilliant. But, in what way?. He honestly hasn't made any impression on me this season and I'm just genuinely curious about how he imposes himself on a game.

Is it his passing, his industry, his ability to find space, does he have a decent shot, what? And why do you think it it all seems to have gone missing?

If you Hume and Hughes aren't in the team on Saturday I will be very angry.

We have to play positive football, clearly playing defensive is not working. We have good attacking players so lets take advantage of that.

Sadly I know Levein too well.

If Hume and Hughes aren't in the team on Saturday I will be very angry .

We have to play positive football, clearly playing defensive is not working. We have good attacking players so lets take advantage of that.

Sadly I know Levein too well.

yeh same here he must start to realise that leaving your better players on the bench doesnt help anyone or anything!!!

Although he is likely to leave either Hughes or Gudjohnson out because of the way he is with Kisnorbo although Joey has been playing well

Indeed, family circumstances made me miss all of those games last season, and I'm delighted to be reassured that Hughes really is potentially brilliant. But, in what way?. He honestly hasn't made any impression on me this season and I'm just genuinely curious about how he imposes himself on a game.

Is it his passing, his industry, his ability to find space, does he have a decent shot, what? And why do you think it it all seems to have gone missing?

I'd say certainly the first three of those... of the last I'm not sure, he was in the box and taking chances (rather than when someone like Williams gets into the box with the ball and he has to take 10 touches before shooting) but I'm not sure if he's that much of a goalscorer - most of them went just wide. My favourite things about Hughes are his vision (delivering that killer pass) and his workrate, he wears his heart on his sleeve and isn't afraid to get stuck in (although that doesn't mean he's the best of tacklers!) - if he looses a ball he'll always try to get it back. He's not anonymous over the 90 minutes like Williams can be.

Hughes is one of those players that works well with people on his wavelength. I remember he picked up an excellent understanding with Connolly whilst he was here.

Probably the most intelligent player at the club, and always looks for the pass rather than the aimless punt. He's yet to hit form so far, probably due to fitness and partly due to our style of play.

I think a run of games with Smith, Hughes and Hume in the side has exciting attacking capability.

Hughes is one of those players that works well with people on his wavelength. I remember he picked up an excellent understanding with Connolly whilst he was here.

Probably the most intelligent player at the club, and always looks for the pass rather than the aimless punt. He's yet to hit form so far, probably due to fitness and partly due to our style of play.

I think a run of games with Smith, Hughes and Hume in the side has exciting attacking capability.

Thanks to you and Louise for your insights. He clearly has things to offer if he can find his best form. :)

I think the main reason he hasn't hit full form this season is due to injury, as Louise pointed out and possibly a loss of confidence as a result. In answer to his ability, it's all of the things you mention, although I'm not sure about how good his shooting is. I'd like to add though, he's got a great deal of trickery, although not flamboyant; he is very quick, has great vision and movement.

As well as developing a good partnership with Connolly last season, his pairing with Williams was working very nicely, although due to the latter's attitude recently this looks like a long way off from being rekindled.

Archived