Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

World cup 2022 - Will you be watching

Will you be watching the 2022 World Cup?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. As said, will you be watching the world cup?

• Yes
    • No

Guest David Oldfields Gate
On 26/05/2022 at 15:48, Lako42 said:

Nope

Complete farce. 

Blood sport and anyone contributing to the viewing figures is endorsing it for the future. 

Agree 100%. I remember sitting in my car as the draw was made and mark saggers pulling his hair out at the rank corruption. Yes I know the whole UEFA and FIFA machines are bent but this was a new low and I vowed that day to have no part in it. Luckily, I'm done with England as I can't stand Southgate or the majority of the players he picks so I won't be pining. It's LCFC for me, and after that I'll support grass roots football. 

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I guarantee that all those who claim they won't be watching it will be in the match threads, slagging off the England team. 

Not me, you have my word. 

I get that most people are incapable of actually turning their back on football due to addiction let alone actually having the morals required in this instance but I will. 

Also people are justifying it as just another world cup similar to Brazil / Russia etc are so far off the mark. Do even an hours research and you will get a very real understanding of some massive, abhorrent differences. 

People can justify themselves enjoying this WC however they like but deep down they know they are just willing to ignore things that others aren't and that's fine. 

4 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Not me, you have my word. 

I get that most people are incapable of actually turning their back on football due to addiction let alone actually having the morals required in this instance but I will. 

Also people are justifying it as just another world cup similar to Brazil / Russia etc are so far off the mark. Do even an hours research and you will get a very real understanding of some massive, abhorrent differences. 

People can justify themselves enjoying this WC however they like but deep down they know they are just willing to ignore things that others aren't and that's fine. 

Russia is not as bad as Qatar? 

25 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Russia is not as bad as Qatar? 

I can't be arsed to educate people on here. 

One simple comparison

Deaths associated with stadium and infrastructure building:

Russia - 21

Qatar - 6500+

Worked to death for less than £1 per hour..... A small price to pay for some footy

Yes I’ll watch it. Of course I would prefer it to be in a different country and in the summer, but it isn’t. Just because I’ll be watching doesn’t mean I support what goes in Qatar. But fair play to those boycotting. 

Feel England have a great chance. Can’t get excited about it until the World Cup Wallcharts come out. 

12 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

I can't be arsed to educate people on here. 

One simple comparison

Deaths associated with stadium and infrastructure building:

Russia - 21

Qatar - 6500+

Worked to death for less than £1 per hour..... A small price to pay for some footy

So Russia's actions in Chechnya and Syria, the seizing of territories in Ukraine and Georgia, the use of polonium and novichok to poisons opponents abroad and the general oppression in Russia count for nothing? 

I Dont justify anything, Putin,Quatar,Boris Johnsons antics,Russia, Hypocritical-FT-Fans, my descisions...Aldi,Lidle..French-Police...

our Owners, their owners (whoever.)

If games Take my fancy, I will watch, with no guilty concience....Whats laughable Football fans complainin that a September- May sport,is actually having a 

Tournament....Well sort of in those months...& Find it totally normal that players After a long season were/are expected to Keep to Tradition & Play in various

hot countries in the hight of Summer..... 

Quatar...,African countries,S.American  Despot/Dictator countries, B.Johnson Type countries....FIFA has a Mandate ( correct IMO) to put & take this sport

around the World, to try & to attempt to give the sport to all, & to Show the World whether One of the above or a considered free countries,the disparsities 

and differences this world has towards its Peoples...  We brag about Capitalism and our rights....Well Football ,all Profi Sports is about money...always was

Whether £2 a Week extra in the old days, or £200,000 a week...!!....Where lies the hypocrosy that is being touted.....

having your cake, comes to my mind...& What fits..!!!

Guest David Oldfields Gate

Happy to explain my own hypocrisy:

Yes, happy to use a mobile phone produced in a communist hell.

Yes, happy to wear trainers produced in a sweat shop.

Not happy supporting a sporting tournament that plumbed the depths of corruption to win it. Not the single issue as such but the straw that broke the camel's back for me - a summer tournament moving to a desert country with zero history of the sport ffs.

Why?

Because we all know the world is f_cked, so sport should be the last bastion of fairness and integrity, on the field and off it. Otherwise we are literally just cheering on a brand.

I am aware it is easy to "yeah but' my position, but a man has to have a cause and this, along with food production (my career) is mine.

Fundamentally all I want is to support 11 lads in blue (or white) representing the county (or country) against another 11 lads in equal contest, the further the game gets from that the more distressing I find it. 

Up the city!

13 hours ago, David Oldfields Gate said:

Happy to explain my own hypocrisy:

Yes, happy to use a mobile phone produced in a communist hell.

Yes, happy to wear trainers produced in a sweat shop.

Not happy supporting a sporting tournament that plumbed the depths of corruption to win it. Not the single issue as such but the straw that broke the camel's back for me - a summer tournament moving to a desert country with zero history of the sport ffs.

Why?

Because we all know the world is f_cked, so sport should be the last bastion of fairness and integrity, on the field and off it. Otherwise we are literally just cheering on a brand.

I am aware it is easy to "yeah but' my position, but a man has to have a cause and this, along with food production (my career) is mine.

Fundamentally all I want is to support 11 lads in blue (or white) representing the county (or country) against another 11 lads in equal contest, the further the game gets from that the more distressing I find it. 

Up the city!

That's an interesting hill to make a stand on, considering that for all the idealism, sport and politics have intermeshed so often in the past.

But I do admire the principle involved.

On 27/05/2022 at 00:30, The Horse's Mouth said:

Mate watching a game of football on the Tele is not being seen(by who as well btw lmao) to be supporting the regime of the country. That same example you just used is loosely applicable to Russia & Brazil the two previous hosts.

Attending is another thing yeah, I wouldn't go there either, but this idea people are saying they don't want to be a viewing figure to "send a message" is complete and utter idiocy. Them hosting the tournament legitimises the country end of, you watching Emmerdale instead isn't going to a send a message to anyone it's just spiting yourself to be all self righteous for the sake of it.

Figuratively speaking, obviously. I'm aware Infantino isn't going to be checking up on if I tune into BBC1 when the games are on. 

The point of the specific example I cited is that it is one of a number of human rights issues associated with those in power, I didn't feel the need to list them all as they're pretty well documented, however that one sprang to mind. Brazil and Russia are not perfect countries, but by Qatari standards, life as a citizen there is a whole lot more forward thinking (I've been to both). 

I see the whole thing as akin to voting for a politician who has no chance of winning an election, but I can really get behind their beliefs and policies. Should I sacrifice doing what I think is right and vote another person who has more chance? Or do I stick to my guns, despite it in effect being futile?