Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

World cup 2022 - Will you be watching

Will you be watching the 2022 World Cup?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. As said, will you be watching the world cup?

• Yes
    • No

44 minutes ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

Why does everything have to be about politics and human rights and to be honest virtue signalling.

I want to watch the world cup because I want to see the worlds best players against each other and hopefully england winning.

I dont turn my tv on to every sporting event and think ooooh its the qatar world cup, better not watch this its fraud or oh look, theres a banner at chelsea saying "the roman empire" so the fans that sit next to the banner must be pro war, ooooh the china open snooker or saudi arabian grand prix is on, better not watch because its all human rights.

I just want to watch the sport. If it makes me thick that im not bothered about the politics or not intelligent enough to virtue signal by not watching it then so be it, i wont lose any sleep.

Just out of interest why do you think it's virtue signalling?.  Some would suggest that actually accusing someone of virtue signalling is actually virtue signalling themselves.

Whenever I read someone using that term I just can't help associate it with those who call every woke or snowflakes if they don't agree with their views.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Just out of interest why do you think it's virtue signalling?.  Some would suggest that actually accusing someone of virtue signalling is actually virtue signalling themselves.

Whenever I read someone using that term I just can't help associate it with those who call every woke or snowflakes if they don't agree with their views.

I just think some people like to send a message that the right thing to do is boycott the tournament or make a stand and by doing that itll make them look more virtuous or intelligent by supporting that view. 

I want to watch the worlds best players on the worlds biggest stage. Thats all it means to me.

3 minutes ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

I just think some people like to send a message that the right thing to do is boycott the tournament or make a stand and by doing that itll make them look more virtuous or intelligent by supporting that view. 

I want to watch the worlds best players on the worlds biggest stage. Thats all it means to me.

I understand that but how would you know?

I will watch, but I will make my stand against corrupt host selection, slave construction workers and restricted rights for women and minorities by pronouncing it "Catarrh" rather than "Cat-uh".

Screenshot_20220526-185216_DuckDuckGo.jpg.d730869fde0e641b2cafa90e3b2d5585.jpg

• Like 1

What I find funny is you got annoying people saying there not bothered about England, yet if they start to do well. Out comes everyone in the England shirts out of the woodwork. Talk about jumping on the bandwagon. Then some fools who live and born in England suddenly announce they don't follow England and prefer Scotland!? erm... why since when they have ever qualified and been successful. They qualify once every 30 years and when they do turn there heading back on the play home within a week.

6 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

What I find funny is you got annoying people saying there not bothered about England, yet if they start to do well. Out comes everyone in the England shirts out of the woodwork. Talk about jumping on the bandwagon. Then some fools who live and born in England suddenly announce they don't follow England and prefer Scotland!? erm... why since when they have ever qualified and been successful. They qualify once every 30 years and when they do turn there heading back on the play home within a week.

Personally I've not experienced any of that.  Who are these people?  Friends or relatives of yours?

3 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Nope

Complete farce. 

Blood sport and anyone contributing to the viewing figures is endorsing it for the future. 

Interested to know why you feel so strongly about this considering you could use the same argument to say we are legitimising the regimes of various premier league owners when we watch Leicester.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Interested to know why you feel so strongly about this considering you could use the same argument to say we are legitimising the regimes of various premier league owners when we watch Leicester.

I think you can see the difference if you look hard enough......

I'm not even talking about the general barbaric culture in the host nation, more the direct result of thousands of deaths of workers so we can all be treated to a little bit more football. 

****ing disgusting 

27 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

I think you can see the difference if you look hard enough......

I'm not even talking about the general barbaric culture in the host nation, more the direct result of thousands of deaths of workers so we can all be treated to a little bit more football. 

****ing disgusting 

Yeah fair enough, was just curious really.

Ofcourse. I understand the social  injustices and corruption that are present but let's be honest, if we started picking on those then we probable should just stop watching football. World Cup in Qatar isn't a million miles off of world cup in Russia, Brazil, South Africa etc in terms of social issues involved in those countries and in all honesty, if UEFA or FIFA are involved in anything then you could bet your left testicle that there is corruption. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, walkerleeds said:

Why is that unimaginable? I'm not watching a single minute of it but won't be judging people for watching it.

I just find it daft for faux outrage over it in terms of boycotting it. Nobody supports this world cup, but let's not kid ourselves the qataris the saudis the Abu Dhabi group are effectively bankrolling most football clubs yet we're still going to be watching club football aren't we. The game is dirty from the bottom up, to chose this hill to die on seems silly to me, even if the event is abhorrent

• Like 2

I will watch but via a stream, so as not to contribute to the viewing figures. FIFA need to be sent a message that they can’t continuously mess fans about and not expect repercussions. Of course that message wont come through, so all systems go for the super league instead. Then they’ll listen 

I cannot deny that I will be watching this in the same way that I religiously watched Brazil and Russia. That said, as others have eluded to, the fact that the World Cup was 'won' through such deceit and corruption is hard to ignore - but, as morbid as this sounds the damage has been done in terms of issues with human rights. With this in mind, I have pretty low expectations as the whole thing concept just seems terrible, this does not even consider the fact that it is in Winter too. 

Still, it is a World Cup which will showcase the best players in the world on such a big stage. I just hope that the damage that this has inflicted on so many people will be a lesson for Fifa, but I highly doubt tbh. 

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I just find it daft for faux outrage over it in terms of boycotting it. Nobody supports this world cup, but let's not kid ourselves the qataris the saudis the Abu Dhabi group are effectively bankrolling most football clubs yet we're still going to be watching club football aren't we. The game is dirty from the bottom up, to chose this hill to die on seems silly to me, even if the event is abhorrent

I think it's all about where your moral compass lies. Let's take the financials out of it, which as you've mentioned, are revolting. A week ago, we were celebrating the fact a professional footballer has come out as homosexual, yet in Qatar, he'd be incarcerated for such a crime. I will not be seen to support that kind of regime. Just like I'd never visit Dubai or watch Fury/ AJ fight in frigging Saudi Arabia. 

Like I said, I don't want to come across self righteous, a few years ago I would have been there in a heartbeat (I know people who organised/ are organising the tournament, believe it or not), and I'm comfortable to say this is the hill I'm willing to die on with football. 

25 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

I think it's all about where your moral compass lies. Let's take the financials out of it, which as you've mentioned, are revolting. A week ago, we were celebrating the fact a professional footballer has come out as homosexual, yet in Qatar, he'd be incarcerated for such a crime. I will not be seen to support that kind of regime. Just like I'd never visit Dubai or watch Fury/ AJ fight in frigging Saudi Arabia. 

Like I said, I don't want to come across self righteous, a few years ago I would have been there in a heartbeat (I know people who organised/ are organising the tournament, believe it or not), and I'm comfortable to say this is the hill I'm willing to die on with football. 

Mate watching a game of football on the Tele is not being seen(by who as well btw lmao) to be supporting the regime of the country. That same example you just used is loosely applicable to Russia & Brazil the two previous hosts.

Attending is another thing yeah, I wouldn't go there either, but this idea people are saying they don't want to be a viewing figure to "send a message" is complete and utter idiocy. Them hosting the tournament legitimises the country end of, you watching Emmerdale instead isn't going to a send a message to anyone it's just spiting yourself to be all self righteous for the sake of it.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2022 at 19:33, purpleronnie said:

Personally I've not experienced any of that.  Who are these people?  Friends or relatives of yours?

Just random folk and on tele. Someone on talksport aswell only the other day was gloating about it. Lived in Blackburn, no family connections to Scotland just had a downer on the England side.

I wish I could say no and stick to it... The corruption. And hate surrounding this is a shameful example of all that is wrong in sport and business... But I'll watch the final if England make it

5 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

One of the worst worldcups that anyone wants to be associated with winning. 

Watch us win it lol.

The quality will be poor too but saying that, Italia 90 was one of the worst in terms of quality of football but one of the most revered in England from a nostalgia point of view.

• Like 1

Eventually we will all start watching it once it gets going to the later stages.

Gotta admit though a world cup in Qatar doesnt exactly get the goosebumps going!!