Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
South Shire Fox

Media wall fireplace installed

2 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Ive recently moved into a property and have been looking at having a media wall fireplace installed in the living room (similar style to the picture). Was just wondering if anyone else has one and can recommend a company to use? Thank you. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0e51ba044fed77180dd147463f6878f8.jpeg

I know a guy that does these, he does a cracking job.

Nikesh at Protocol Solutions Limited.

Leicester based.

I’ll see if I can find his number.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, whitlock said:

Explore the possibilities of trying it yourself, I did the frame build and then got a plasterer in to finish off.

Went for a log burner rather than the fire place in the original photo.

With some thought, planning (and borrowing right tools) it wasn’t that tricky.

9AA21F57-C4A6-452A-AE4C-8D8F842940A6.jpeg

8C1C4D6E-8AA3-4315-B5E2-7970DB9310E5.jpeg

01A76D55-7502-4495-A702-6B99293C06B6.jpeg

BCDD6750-E1AA-4AC8-AE5A-538CB24CF738.jpeg

DDDF133F-3EAB-4908-855D-33DDE22226D7.jpeg

Nice job. Looks like a simple timber frame which many reasonable DIY peeps could construct. I think getting a plaster in to make it look well finished was a key. What did you do about hiding the wiring/cabling and assuming you have a cable/Sky supply, where did hide the router etc?

50 minutes ago, Kopic said:

Been looking into this myself, the closest I got was a 6k quote which I didn't fancy. Also interested in any links!

6k?  Someone’s making some decent dosh, frame and mdf, £250, fire £1000 (gazco 1200 led). Finishing £300,  2 days work you supply the tv…£4500??. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

6k?  Someone’s making some decent dosh, frame and mdf, £250, fire £1000 (gazco 1200 led). Finishing £300,  2 days work you supply the tv…£4500??. 

To be honest it was actually a bit different to this. It was more of a full wall unit, incorporating the two alcoves either side of the chimney and removing the old fireplace etc. Still want to get something done, but smaller scale. Filled the sides myself and just want a tidy tv unit in the middle.

39 minutes ago, Kopic said:

To be honest it was actually a bit different to this. It was more of a full wall unit, incorporating the two alcoves either side of the chimney and removing the old fireplace etc. Still want to get something done, but smaller scale. Filled the sides myself and just want a tidy tv unit in the middle.

I did this in the lads room which cost about £200 for the materials and the tv bracket which expands out, I thought it looked quite good, it’s just a frame with mdf and painted with a heavy roller which gives a thick texture and hides any joins. Rest of the room is a shithole though

44F52D0E-99F9-42BB-A272-B1D8535E6839.jpeg

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

Nice job. Looks like a simple timber frame which many reasonable DIY peeps could construct. I think getting a plaster in to make it look well finished was a key. What did you do about hiding the wiring/cabling and assuming you have a cable/Sky supply, where did hide the router etc?

There is a power socket in the corner of the living room which I managed to spur off to create a new socket behind the TV so that hides all power cables.

The Virgin box and router lives behind the TV wall too, with just enough room for the remote control to access the box so it is all hidden in that respect. I had to have a cable on show from the fibre into the house, but it ran along skirting into the TV wall so was pretty tidy.

It is definitely worth spending time planning in cables and getting them hidden, makes so much difference not seeing that sort of stuff.

The TV and fire burner was circa £1.2k in total, MDF was about £300 and the plasterer was roughly same (he did other work in the house so not sure exactly that part was), so around £2k to complete.

Lots of different styles and options, but it’s all essentially the same, timber frame, plasterboard and skim. 

On 27/05/2022 at 18:51, Kopic said:

Been looking into this myself, the closest I got was a 6k quote which I didn't fancy. Also interested in any links!

Theres a company with good reviews called ‘Fireplace Saver’ based in Yorkshire where the media wall and fitting was around 3k. Ive also heard theres a company called ‘Leicester Media walls’ who’re decent so worth an enquiry.

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Thanks 1