Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Football Manager 2023

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Yes mate really easy. Don't be put off by my long-ass description below and loads of screenshots, it's just me being thorough. The whole thing is only a few clicks and will take you less than a minute or two.

Firstly, you get the editor (I'm assuming Steam here, by the way) by changing your library view from the default "Games" to include "Tools":

image.png.e73f3da94b8243aa1da02a435a5dbf1c.png

You'll probably have quite a long list of available tools, scroll down to the latest Football Manager editor and favourite / install it. Shouldn't take long.

First thing you're going to have to choose is whether or not you want to base your changes on the original database from launch or the winter update (which includes January signings etc.) You'll get a little popup window with a drop down. Pick one or the other as per your preferences and hit ok:

image.png.d36731d07f3df4387a4e3148d1c54214.png

Next select Competitions on the menu on the left hand side. It will automatically load up the highest ranked competitions by reputation so if you want to do the Premier League only, for example, you can just double click it straight away from the list. Otherwise you may need to search, doing so is pretty easy. Just click the "Add Condition" button and pick something off the list, name is a pretty obvious one or Nation. So for example, to search for all competitions based in England I'd do this:

image.thumb.png.679f6fe55570864eda6e687462fa296b.png

Once you double-click in to your competition of choice, the option you want to change is actually straight away there on that first "Details" page. Just scroll down a bit to below the winter match ball colours and you'll see the "Video Assistant Referee" option. The Premier League has "Remote Review" selected by default, just turn this to "No VAR." There's even an option below that to turn off goal line technology if you want, just untick the box.

image.thumb.png.4280ce1ea95b2939c116fc42fd55f9ea.png

Then just go to File, Save Editor Data as and call it something obvious like "No VAR".

Next step - boot up Football Manager.

When you go to start a new career, click the database drop down in the top corner and make sure that your new editor data is selected. It'll probably be ticked by default but just double check.

image.thumb.png.c3bca2b3eda2eca40c2f48dfcb3bc68d.png

And that's it.

Just one final little tip, if you want to bulk-change a whole load of leagues at once to basically delete VAR almost from the game then you can bulk-select and bulk-edit from the competition search screen by either holding control and clicking on multiple rows or by clicking the tiny ticks on the far left of your search result column. Select as many as you want and then press edit at the bottom like this:

image.thumb.png.3150426579b0c380f51af81dac554b78.png

Be careful when you do this because you're editing all the records at once. The screen will LOOK like there's no data there but anything you change will change every competition you have selected. So if you scroll down to VAR again, the drop-down will appear blank. Select "No VAR" again and it'll turn VAR off on all the competitions you've got. If you try and do this to tens or hundreds of records at once, your PC might freeze up and lag a bit. If it does, don't panic, it will work, it's just taking its sweet time. I'd probably keep it easy by doing no more than 20 at a time if you can. To be honest, how many leagues are you likely to play in in one save anyway unless you're @Stinky?

Same process after that, save the file, boot the game and load it. 

image.png

I'm glad I skipped to where I was tagged 

• Haha 1

This is a bit weird and purely anecdotal and I've not read the patch notes so maybe I'm being paranoid. 

But has anyone noticed one-on-ones / strikers being in behind being toned down significantly since the winter updates? Don't get me wrong, I can understand why they would, lumping it to a speedy striker has been far too easy over the last couple versions.

But I'm noticing a couple of weird behaviours repeating a lot. First is defenders catching back up that normally never would have, I'm talking 17/17 Acc/Pac strikers having 12/12 centre backs get back to cover. Secondly, more specifically, I've seen strikers go round the keeper one-on-one multiple times this season I'm playing (both for myself and the AI) and fvck it up by either not shooting at all once they do and just sort of hovering there a moment and getting tackled or they get round the keeper with daylight between them and any other defenders but they hit such a weak shot that a CB gets back. Like absolutely guaranteed goals not happening.

I'm currently playing a champions league semi final and literally within minutes Icardi has done it at one end and Moukoko has done it at the other. Both round the keeper, wide open goal, hesitate then hit a slow tap that gets caught up. Really weird.

(Oh and on their stronger foot, too.)

Edited by Finnegan

On 28/03/2023 at 11:54, Finnegan said:

Few things, firstly VAR should be mostly "fact" in FM. Unlike real life, VAR shouldn't really involve a lot of incorrect decisions so it shouldn't majorly ruin your experience other than obviously slowing gameplay down.

Secondly, you can actually go in to the Editor and remove VAR from the leagues you want to play. If you've never used it before, the editor can look a bit intimidating or complex but what you'd need to do for this is incredibly easy and can be done in just a few clicks.

If you want me to talk you through it, give me a wave and let me know how much experience you do/don't have with the editor and I'll tailor some instructions to match if you like.

But thirdly, if you're experiencing an extraordinary amount of offisdes that won't actually change if you turn VAR off, they'll just be the linesman putting his flag up instead of a VAR replay. It might speed up your gameplay but it won't actually fix your problem which is that you're probably trying to play too fast a game with players who don't have good movement and anticipation.

Didn't realise you could turn VAR off, will give that a go.

Many thanks!

• Like 1

Not bad for our first season back in the Bundesliga with Hamburg

Probably restricted my transfer budget for the next couple of summers after how much I spent last summer + January (£30m upfront + another £70m in installments)

Very happy with a lot of the transfers we did though, so only a new striker I really want in the summer

Our current main striker Glatzel smashed it on our way to the 2. Bundesliga title last season with 34 goals and 3 assists in 33 games, this season he got 13 goals and 3 assists in 29 games so pretty decent, but could definitely improve on him

image.png.51706a738193ba85d75b1c6174d79701.png

Edited by moore_94

3 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Probably restricted my transfer budget for the next couple of summers after how much I spent last summer + January (£30m upfront + another £70m in installments)

Maybe not, I forgot how good the money is in Germany lol

image.png.cb6a53360a90ff28df898287f791baab.png

On 07/04/2023 at 23:01, moore_94 said:

Not bad for our first season back in the Bundesliga with Hamburg

Very happy with a lot of the transfers we did though, so only a new striker I really want in the summer

Our current main striker Glatzel smashed it on our way to the 2. Bundesliga title last season with 34 goals and 3 assists in 33 games, this season he got 13 goals and 3 assists in 29 games so pretty decent, but could definitely improve on him

image.png.51706a738193ba85d75b1c6174d79701.png

Was it you who did one with Hamburg last year?

3 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I started one with them but didn’t get too far into it

I always like the idea of them as seems a fun save, but I like St Pauli, so I'd feel dirty. The idea of 1860 and overtaking Munich or Dresden when their in the third tier always interest me. Must have done tens of first seasons with Dresden and 1860. 

On 09/04/2023 at 15:20, Tommy Fresh said:

Was it you who did one with Hamburg last year?

I did it on 21. Won the league in about 5 seasons. It's actually quite an easy save I think because you have a nice side for that level, good support and after staying up you get lovely money. Think in my second season in the Bundesliga I got something like £70mil budget.

I've started one with Leicester - something I never, ever do well with. Almost wanted to see how I did against Rodgers this season lol finished 12th, got 11 points on what he got. We had a very good start but tailed right off. Stuck with it though and in my second season I've ended up finishing 3rd, after just going back to what I did at Alta which was play a pretty attacking 4-2-3-1.

First seasons transfer business...

Signed

- Alex Scott £11mil, absolute bargain

- Morten Frendrup £7mil, young CM from Genoa, loaned him back there

- Livakovic £8.5mil

- Bensebaini £8mil

- Benjamin Dominguez, Becir Omeragic for a combined £7mil and loaned both out

- Harvey Elliott and Reiss Nelson on loan

Sold

- Mendy £11mil to Brighton lol 

- Amartey £11.5mil to Aston Villa lol 

- Vestergaard £5.5mil to West Ham lol 

- Tielemans £15mil to Man Utd in January - was either that or losing for nothing and I wasn't using him massively

--

Second seasons transfer business...

Signed

- Vedat Muriqi £8mil, gamble given his age but he was an absolute revelation and got me 22 league goals

- Omobamidele £14mil rising to £24mil from Norwich, really good young CB

- Jose Campana on a free from Levante, really decent DLP albeit about 29, but a good one to get for nothing

- Nketiah for £8mil

- Zaniolo for £14mil

- Tete back on a free in January

- Jobe Bellingham for £8mil, two young Serbian strikers called Bazdar and Mijatovic for a combined £7mil, all loaned out

Sold

- Albrighton to Watford £4mil

- Evans to Brentford free (controversially as they'd just made Europe but I needed more pace at the back)

- Praet to Southampton £7mil

- Vardy to Deportivo for free

- Choudhury to West Ham £10mil lol 

- Souttar to Galatasaray in January for £10mil

--

Into the CL summer, so far signed Roony Bardghji who looks an absolute wizard, basically a Kvaratskhelia type of signing, Wilfried Singo, Fabian Rieder, Facundo Medina for a combined £70mil odd. Sold Brunt for £8mil lol Soumare, Ricardo, Hirst, Castagne for a combined £25mil as well. Squads in a lovely state now. Happy with us in most positions. I've made a bit of a point to bring in mostly 20-25 year olds, few under that to loan out to either the club I signed them from or to Leuven for a year or two (Alves, Braybrooke, Mijatovic, Nelson and Bellingham all having successful loans there that have carried them to Europe). I've also made a bit of a point about signing some more aggressive players as well to address the sickening softness of the club, which is why I bit the bullet on the likes of Muriqi, Zaniolo and Bensebaini who are all frankly horrible (Bensebaini got something like 13 yellow cards in 18 games last season). We score plenty, prone to a hammering (one particular FA Cup game at Spurs is not spoken about here). Actually the first time I've done well with LCFC in years. I think just sensible transfer policy and relatively attacking, aggressive football is the way.

• Like 2

Loving it a lot more since I got rid of VAR in the PL.

Just done my first reload on this years save. 

In the CL final, xG of near 4, Liverpool of 1, lost 2-1, with their first goal coming from my player just leaving a ball walking away (looked like some sort of glitch or bug tbh) from it and them scoring a 1vs1. The second from my loan player scoring a goal for them!!

Winds me up as well you go to ET and other than 1 highlight it just sims through 30 minutes with nothing happening, happens 90% of the time I play ET.

Reloaded the save, pissed me off that much. Exactly the same thing happened in the reload, my player just passes it across the box for their player to score. Then they get a penalty. Then my player gives the ball away again for another goal on the edge of my own box lol Always have 90%+ pass completion but this match was 79%.

Reloaded it again, went cautious rather than positive, xG was slightly over 1 yet scored 1 and won it 1-0.

Missus said I need to grow up as I was shouting at AI men on the PC. 

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

Just played Super Cup final vs. Everton, exactly the same thing happened, RB just stops playing, literally walks away from the ball and they curl it in from edge of box. Then we get a red card. Then we give away a penalty. :mad:lol

Getting abit bored of it now tbh, and I'm back at work soon so my fairy tale with FM is probably going to end soon.

EDIT: I realised the game forced me to do an update a few days ago, reckon that's why it's all gone to pot. Tactics need reworking etc. Given away a penalty in 5 games in a row today :rolleyes:

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

Started a new unemployed save and ended up at Daejeon in South Korea

Expected to finish 2nd, took over in 5th with 3 games left and finished 5th, got through to the playoff final but drew (higher seed opponent went up)

Forgot they have national service in South Korea and get the below email... thankfully all 3 of them are actually leaving!

image.png.0be23e08f159f69e261373355d11bf64.png

On 13/04/2023 at 00:48, Dan LCFC said:

I did it on 21. Won the league in about 5 seasons. It's actually quite an easy save I think because you have a nice side for that level, good support and after staying up you get lovely money. Think in my second season in the Bundesliga I got something like £70mil budget.

I've started one with Leicester - something I never, ever do well with. Almost wanted to see how I did against Rodgers this season lol finished 12th, got 11 points on what he got. We had a very good start but tailed right off. Stuck with it though and in my second season I've ended up finishing 3rd, after just going back to what I did at Alta which was play a pretty attacking 4-2-3-1.

First seasons transfer business...

Signed

- Alex Scott £11mil, absolute bargain

- Morten Frendrup £7mil, young CM from Genoa, loaned him back there

- Livakovic £8.5mil

- Bensebaini £8mil

- Benjamin Dominguez, Becir Omeragic for a combined £7mil and loaned both out

- Harvey Elliott and Reiss Nelson on loan

Sold

- Mendy £11mil to Brighton lol 

- Amartey £11.5mil to Aston Villa lol 

- Vestergaard £5.5mil to West Ham lol 

- Tielemans £15mil to Man Utd in January - was either that or losing for nothing and I wasn't using him massively

--

Second seasons transfer business...

Signed

- Vedat Muriqi £8mil, gamble given his age but he was an absolute revelation and got me 22 league goals

- Omobamidele £14mil rising to £24mil from Norwich, really good young CB

- Jose Campana on a free from Levante, really decent DLP albeit about 29, but a good one to get for nothing

- Nketiah for £8mil

- Zaniolo for £14mil

- Tete back on a free in January

- Jobe Bellingham for £8mil, two young Serbian strikers called Bazdar and Mijatovic for a combined £7mil, all loaned out

Sold

- Albrighton to Watford £4mil

- Evans to Brentford free (controversially as they'd just made Europe but I needed more pace at the back)

- Praet to Southampton £7mil

- Vardy to Deportivo for free

- Choudhury to West Ham £10mil lol 

- Souttar to Galatasaray in January for £10mil

--

Into the CL summer, so far signed Roony Bardghji who looks an absolute wizard, basically a Kvaratskhelia type of signing, Wilfried Singo, Fabian Rieder, Facundo Medina for a combined £70mil odd. Sold Brunt for £8mil lol Soumare, Ricardo, Hirst, Castagne for a combined £25mil as well. Squads in a lovely state now. Happy with us in most positions. I've made a bit of a point to bring in mostly 20-25 year olds, few under that to loan out to either the club I signed them from or to Leuven for a year or two (Alves, Braybrooke, Mijatovic, Nelson and Bellingham all having successful loans there that have carried them to Europe). I've also made a bit of a point about signing some more aggressive players as well to address the sickening softness of the club, which is why I bit the bullet on the likes of Muriqi, Zaniolo and Bensebaini who are all frankly horrible (Bensebaini got something like 13 yellow cards in 18 games last season). We score plenty, prone to a hammering (one particular FA Cup game at Spurs is not spoken about here). Actually the first time I've done well with LCFC in years. I think just sensible transfer policy and relatively attacking, aggressive football is the way.

Had a third season which has proven to be my final one because I only really fancied a shortish save for this anyway really. Maybe I'll go back to it one day if I fancy.

Had a mixed start in the league, absolutely smacked Villa away and I thought we were lining ourselves up for another excellent season, but we stuttered quite badly and I could sense that the dressing room was turning, which I thought seemed a little excessive, but so be it.

I seem to have one particularly dismal result in each season and this years was a 1-4 loss to Middlesbrough in late November, confidence on the floor and I was close to losing my job apparently, sat around 9th in the league, although we'd done fairly well in the Champions League and looked like we were going to qualify. I beat Newcastle away with a last minute winner and then AZ at home to qualify out of the league phase (which is introduced in 2024/25 CL). This sparked an absolutely brilliant run of form where despite the squad being rotated by 4-5 players game to game we won something like 16 games out of 20 in all competitions, including getting to the League Cup final after beating Everton home and away. The storm passed with the dressing room and we were now pushing for Europe again in the league. Iheanacho left the club and I got Gabriel Barbosa in on loan to replace him.

I draw Fiorentina in the preliminary knockout round, beat them home and away and we're given the nightmare draw of Real Madrid. I mean the dream in a way, Real Madrid are coming here in a competitive game! But it's likely the end of the road. Except incredibly it isn't. We beat them 2-1 at home and somehow despite going down to 10 men in the first half hold out for an unlikely 1-1 draw and go through. We are to meet PSG, and should we go through, Atletico Madrid (shock) or Liverpool (ugh) in the semis.

We then bring home our 4th League Cup by beating Manchester United 1-0 in the final, eerie similarities to 2021 as they have a goal ruled out for offside in injury time to equalise. Roony Bardghji goes down in folklore. Our league campaign now becomes essentially about warming up for European games, as once again Spurs have put us out of the FA Cup.

So PSG in the quarters - Once again in the home leg we go behind early on. On the hour PSG are awarded a penalty and I think we've hit the end of the road. But Livakovic saves and just like that the whole thing seems to turn. My plan in both of these ties was to keep it tight for three quarters of the home leg then go all out towards the end and try to win. I make a treble sub and we absolutely take them to pieces courtest of Barnes, Maddison and Daka. We incredibly win 4-1. The game in Paris is an absolute pig of a game, they're on top throughout, Mbappe double gives them a 2-0 lead but once again it turns on the hour and Zaniolo scores an absolutely sensational lob on the counter. We're in with a great chance now. They barrage us, get a 3rd right at the end through Thuram but it's not enough. Leicester City are in the semi finals of the Champions League!!!

It's Liverpool. A team I've played six times and lost all six - and all of them by the odd goal, four of them scored in the final ten minutes.

Once again it's the same tactic in the home leg, keep it fight and barrage them at the end. We do it this time without going 1-0 down, and Daka scores late on yet again, he's become the hero of this run scoring in what feels like every round. He adds a second in injury time but Liverpool steal one back through Gakpo with the last kick. 2-1 lead, we go to Anfield.

Trent puts Liverpool ahead in the first 10 minutes. I think this is going to be the end. Yet once again, we hit the hour mark and it's like we become a different team. Right wing back Wilfried Singo scores a lovely individual goal to put us 1-1 on the night, before shortly adding a second, 4-2 up on aggregate. We're in with a fantastic chance of making the final (against AC milan or RB Leipzig no less). But sadly, Anfield is just too much. They're probably the best team in the world on this game. They're going to win consecutive Premier Leagues. Konate heads in a corner in the 83rd minute and Luis Diaz makes it 3-2 with the very last kick of the game. We're dead on our feet, absolutely shattered and Liverpool complete the job in Extra Time.

So three years of Leicester, it's a 12th placed finish, 3rd, then 8th (when I left it) and a run to the CL semis, and League Cup trophy. A productive save and much better than the usual shit.

---

Now I'm onto a new one which I've fancied a while. You are to take over a Paris club other than PSG and become the European royalty of Paris. You must win more Champions Leagues than PSG. So the outcome is dictated as much on how they do too - if they win it 3 times while you rise up, then you have to win it 4. They won it in 2022/23 on my Leicester save. Gulp.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Started a new unemployed save and ended up at Daejeon in South Korea

Expected to finish 2nd, took over in 5th with 3 games left and finished 5th, got through to the playoff final but drew (higher seed opponent went up)

Forgot they have national service in South Korea and get the below email... thankfully all 3 of them are actually leaving!

image.png.0be23e08f159f69e261373355d11bf64.png

That was an absolute pain in the arse for me on the pentagon. It's hard enough that you can only play 5 foreign players in your squad, let alone having Gimcheon your players for a year. I used to hate Gimcheon, they were so shit but they often used to be tricky for me.

I did find Korea quite fun though. Probably my favourite part of the pentagon.

6 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

That was an absolute pain in the arse for me on the pentagon. It's hard enough that you can only play 5 foreign players in your squad, let alone having Gimcheon your players for a year. I used to hate Gimcheon, they were so shit but they often used to be tricky for me.

I did find Korea quite fun though. Probably my favourite part of the pentagon.

Yeah annoyingly I have actually just realised that the Ahn Tae-Yoon guy that is joining them is actually my first choice keeper ffs!

I am trying to keep the amount of foreign players as low as possible in my team, hopefully only South Korean's, for next season at this point there is only going to be one

49 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Yeah annoyingly I have actually just realised that the Ahn Tae-Yoon guy that is joining them is actually my first choice keeper ffs!

I am trying to keep the amount of foreign players as low as possible in my team, hopefully only South Korean's, for next season at this point there is only going to be one

North Koreans don't count towards the foreign total, some decentish players to be picked up.

59 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Now I'm onto a new one which I've fancied a while. You are to take over a Paris club other than PSG and become the European royalty of Paris. You must win more Champions Leagues than PSG. So the outcome is dictated as much on how they do too - if they win it 3 times while you rise up, then you have to win it 4. They won it in 2022/23 on my Leicester save. Gulp.

Red Star surely?

Got Woodhouse Imperial up the tiers into the National North. 

Only promotion which wasn't immediate was Midland Football League (tier 9) - had to do Southern League Central Premier via the play-offs cos King's Lynn had tons of dollar. 

Budget is a real struggle this year, so do well to stay up. 

Accounts are minus £150k, can't get a league crowd over 200. Had to move into Loughborough Uni Stadium this season. 

• Like 2

Absolute domination with Daejeon - even with my best keeper out at Gimcheon

Although it also helps when you have enough money to go and buy some of the players best players in the league

9 of the media dream eleven were our players and even from the start of the season our odds for winning the league were 1/10

image.png.72c9854e8d2344e49f6b1af078603481.png

Edited by moore_94

5 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Just had to apply for the job at Jeonbuk when it came up

Favourites for the league whilst still also having about £5m to spend which is plenty

image.thumb.png.cd3662c843797f969f6388f95232fec1.png

5 million doesn't seem much for Jeonbuk, minted in general and they usually start with a load. Signed Suphanat yet?

1 hour ago, Tommy Fresh said:

5 million doesn't seem much for Jeonbuk, minted in general and they usually start with a load. Signed Suphanat yet?

I joined in Jan 2024 and before that it looks like they had spent about £8m total on a load of crap which I have mostly got rid of

Nah hadn't actually thought about Suphanat, he has already joined Leipzig anyway

Sticking to my whole not using foreign players thing and now I don't have a single one in my first team squad

Gonna be staying at Jeonbuk for 1 season at a minimum, but after that first chance I get I am gonna go for the Birmingham City job if it comes up which doesn't sound too interesting until...

image.png.0829612f186c72ee2b7145fb36746f6d.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I joined in Jan 2024 and before that it looks like they had spent about £8m total on a load of crap which I have mostly got rid of

Nah hadn't actually thought about Suphanat, he has already joined Leipzig anyway

Sticking to my whole not using foreign players thing and now I don't have a single one in my first team squad

Gonna be staying at Jeonbuk for 1 season at a minimum, but after that first chance I get I am gonna go for the Birmingham City job if it comes up which doesn't sound too interesting until...

image.png.0829612f186c72ee2b7145fb36746f6d.png

Haha that's class, fits nicely with it being a Korean save as well