Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Football Manager 2023

End of our 2nd season with 1860 Munchen, our 1st back in the 2. Bundesliga, and we have finished 10th

Initially I was hoping we would be a bit further up and maybe even not far off the playoff place but not too disappointed in the end

Certainly aiming to be definitely in the conversation for playoffs / automatics next season though

Thankfully no big teams have come down from the Bundesliga, Nurnberg and Hamburg who went up last season have come straight back down

Aiming to bring in around 6 first team players in the summer, mainly to improve our squad depth as I really haven't trusted rotating outside of our strongest 11

With a transfer budget of £800k and £10k extra wage budget though it is definitely going to be like last summer where any sales we make we put the whole fee into expanding our wage budget and going for free transfers only to stretch it out

image.png.53536ef1030d9065adfa9b83edcd60bb.png

• Like 2

Done my whole 5th season. It was so depressingly shit. We finished 13th and honestly I'm the most stumped at this I've been in a while. We didn't really put together a single decent run of form, had random good results and performances but just totally inconsistent throughout. Really annoyed given I've got probably my best squad yet.

I want a bit of an overhaul this summer. Didn't put together a single bit of consistency in any facet of the game. I can take playing well and not getting the results but we rarely managed that either. We were totally unremarkable. Finished the season with another pathetic winless run of 8 games as well.

I actually got in a really decent young midfielder as well which makes it even more annoying. I thought he'd elevate us and he hasn't at all, without being too bad himself.

Reading the review and it's making out we had a good season and overachieved. Maybe I'm being harsh because of that ridiculous second season up where we somehow ended up 5th.

Edited by Dan LCFC

Brendan Rodgers has gone to PSG. It was just written wasn't it. A save that is reliant on overthrowing PSG now has Brendan Rodgers in charge of them.

Lets hope he can preserve both his, and their crap European record.

3rd season with 1860 Munchen and we have been promoted from 2. Bundesliga as Champions!

We spent a lot of the season stuck right behind Hamburg but eventually got ahead and managed to stay ahead

Suphanat Mueanta, who we signed for £1m last summer, fired us to the title with 30 goals in 32 league games

This summer should be interesting though, given only £140k spare wage budget and about £500k transfer budget so bargain bin shopping

image.png.44500f3168d37dbb97963778fc326c5b.png

• Like 1

On 17/06/2023 at 18:41, moore_94 said:

3rd season with 1860 Munchen and we have been promoted from 2. Bundesliga as Champions!

We spent a lot of the season stuck right behind Hamburg but eventually got ahead and managed to stay ahead

Suphanat Mueanta, who we signed for £1m last summer, fired us to the title with 30 goals in 32 league games

This summer should be interesting though, given only £140k spare wage budget and about £500k transfer budget so bargain bin shopping

image.png.44500f3168d37dbb97963778fc326c5b.png

Scrape survival and the money rolls in. Bundesliga sides seem to not be far off Premier League clubs for their spending on mine now and I remember it with Hamburg too, rode out my first season then got given about £70mil to spend the year after.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Regards Morgalla, he was in my treble winning Frankfurt team of German wonderkids. 

Been a massive ball ache to keep him ever since I started the save

Thankfully had a couple of occasions where  I have been able to offer him new deals to keep him around longer and the couple of few where the owners have accepted bids I have been able to convince them to change their minds

On 10/06/2023 at 03:33, Dan LCFC said:

Done my whole 5th season. It was so depressingly shit. We finished 13th and honestly I'm the most stumped at this I've been in a while. We didn't really put together a single decent run of form, had random good results and performances but just totally inconsistent throughout. Really annoyed given I've got probably my best squad yet.

I want a bit of an overhaul this summer. Didn't put together a single bit of consistency in any facet of the game. I can take playing well and not getting the results but we rarely managed that either. We were totally unremarkable. Finished the season with another pathetic winless run of 8 games as well.

I actually got in a really decent young midfielder as well which makes it even more annoying. I thought he'd elevate us and he hasn't at all, without being too bad himself.

Reading the review and it's making out we had a good season and overachieved. Maybe I'm being harsh because of that ridiculous second season up where we somehow ended up 5th.

6th season completed. Finished 10th. Slight improvement but lots of the same old issues were there - not really consistent and worryingly, yet again we finished appallingly and this is happening every single season in Ligue 1. 2 points from our final 7 games. That follows 0 wins from 8 at the end of last season, lost our last 5 of the year before, even the good season where we came 5th we ended up winning only 1 of our last 7. We seem to really clock off, or just massively tire at the end. Whatever it is, it's crap.

Have found this a genuine challenge to kick on with these. I don't demand massive budgets but I really am given relative peanuts here. How can we be in our 6th season at this level and still have the second smallest wage bill in the division? Much as our finishes have been a bit depressing, we're still ultimately overachieving relative to our finances.

image.png.c8bcf28a167b9ad693dfd99f69f8991c.png

I think we need to make that real breakthrough sale to kick these on. Even making Europe has done basically nothing for us. I've started getting a bit more radical in my recruitment, no more 'do a job' players unless they're absolute peanuts, we're buying purely for sell on value. I've made some decent sales (Aranda £8mil, Munoz £5.5mil, Castillo £4.9mil) but nothing groundbreaking. I always think back to a save I did with Las Palmas on I think it was FM21 where I bought a Colombian midfielder for £4mil, gradually eased him in and sold him two years later for something like £60mil. That's the kind of gamechanger we need but it's hard to procure that exact player, he really blew up. Sissoko, who I hoped would be that player, hasn't really been all that great.

image.thumb.png.9eba963995f52e6521739b69b988df8f.png

I look at my 2026/27 business there and see a few errors. Campabadal was 18 but he's been pretty woeful in both seasons and I'd do well to even get my money back. Mijatovic is a decent striker but no gamechanger and I think the max I'll get for him is £10mil. Bernardo is basically the exact same description but a midfielder (interestingly he was my plan B after Sporting Lisbon beat me to Adrian Bernabe of all players). The loanees ultimately have cost me decent chunks of money without really producing the necessary output.

image.thumb.png.c86a5089eb52465606b4a319196a0cc2.png

Spent more this season. Houbaine, Ohayon, Lindenblatt, Barragan, Gokhan Kara, Ribeiro and Gruev are all youngsters who can get minutes now and should all generate more money than I paid for them. Falco was a bit of a gamble, he's been... good but not amazing, he's a centre half. I think our only way of kicking on now is to make that substantial sale - but I still see nobody who is going to drag me even £30mil let alone £60mil - maybe Ohayon, who has kicked on quite a lot in attributes despite not really smashing it yet on the pitch. He's a powerful winger.

The final switch is I'm going back to playing 4-4-2. Basically a carbon copy of the system I had my best season with but with what should be now on paper, stronger personnel. We're lucky that PSG haven't made me pay yet as they're as embarrassing as ever in Europe, they've gone out twice to Wolfsburg of all teams. The fact they've appointed Rodgers gives me a bit of hope that they'll continue to stutter in Europe. I think we'll do well to beat them to winning the Champions League though - we've really stagnated somewhat in the last couple of years which is a shame.

Looking ahead to 24, I see a few teams in Belarus have points deductions, namely Shakhtyor Soligorsk, one of the better teams in the country who have a whopping 35pts deducted. 12 games in to the real season though they're already only a handful of points away from the relegation play off spot

• Haha 1

Does anyone know how to avoid getting a ton of injuries? I haven't gotten through pre-season and already players are missing out on a few weeks.

Do I need better fitness coaches/Doctors/sports science/ physiotherapists?

Also the way the team is set up, it shows intensity levels are pretty high. I try to rest them to avoid injuries, but does not help that much.

On 20/06/2023 at 20:44, Dan LCFC said:

6th season completed. Finished 10th. Slight improvement but lots of the same old issues were there - not really consistent and worryingly, yet again we finished appallingly and this is happening every single season in Ligue 1. 2 points from our final 7 games. That follows 0 wins from 8 at the end of last season, lost our last 5 of the year before, even the good season where we came 5th we ended up winning only 1 of our last 7. We seem to really clock off, or just massively tire at the end. Whatever it is, it's crap.

Have found this a genuine challenge to kick on with these. I don't demand massive budgets but I really am given relative peanuts here. How can we be in our 6th season at this level and still have the second smallest wage bill in the division? Much as our finishes have been a bit depressing, we're still ultimately overachieving relative to our finances.

image.png.c8bcf28a167b9ad693dfd99f69f8991c.png

I think we need to make that real breakthrough sale to kick these on. Even making Europe has done basically nothing for us. I've started getting a bit more radical in my recruitment, no more 'do a job' players unless they're absolute peanuts, we're buying purely for sell on value. I've made some decent sales (Aranda £8mil, Munoz £5.5mil, Castillo £4.9mil) but nothing groundbreaking. I always think back to a save I did with Las Palmas on I think it was FM21 where I bought a Colombian midfielder for £4mil, gradually eased him in and sold him two years later for something like £60mil. That's the kind of gamechanger we need but it's hard to procure that exact player, he really blew up. Sissoko, who I hoped would be that player, hasn't really been all that great.

image.thumb.png.9eba963995f52e6521739b69b988df8f.png

I look at my 2026/27 business there and see a few errors. Campabadal was 18 but he's been pretty woeful in both seasons and I'd do well to even get my money back. Mijatovic is a decent striker but no gamechanger and I think the max I'll get for him is £10mil. Bernardo is basically the exact same description but a midfielder (interestingly he was my plan B after Sporting Lisbon beat me to Adrian Bernabe of all players). The loanees ultimately have cost me decent chunks of money without really producing the necessary output.

image.thumb.png.c86a5089eb52465606b4a319196a0cc2.png

Spent more this season. Houbaine, Ohayon, Lindenblatt, Barragan, Gokhan Kara, Ribeiro and Gruev are all youngsters who can get minutes now and should all generate more money than I paid for them. Falco was a bit of a gamble, he's been... good but not amazing, he's a centre half. I think our only way of kicking on now is to make that substantial sale - but I still see nobody who is going to drag me even £30mil let alone £60mil - maybe Ohayon, who has kicked on quite a lot in attributes despite not really smashing it yet on the pitch. He's a powerful winger.

The final switch is I'm going back to playing 4-4-2. Basically a carbon copy of the system I had my best season with but with what should be now on paper, stronger personnel. We're lucky that PSG haven't made me pay yet as they're as embarrassing as ever in Europe, they've gone out twice to Wolfsburg of all teams. The fact they've appointed Rodgers gives me a bit of hope that they'll continue to stutter in Europe. I think we'll do well to beat them to winning the Champions League though - we've really stagnated somewhat in the last couple of years which is a shame.

7th season completed. We're back in business.

Went back to 4-4-2 which I played when we came 5th. I binned it last time because we finished that season and started the following one badly, but I thought I had the players suitable for it again. I've decided the one key thing I'd been lacking, and something that seems to be really effective this year was a striker good in the air.

image.thumb.png.8142db8eba5bfc3ce57f5ed69822b2b6.png

Ivan Azon is the real key signing here. He's the forward we were missing. He was exceptional, I had an option to get him in permanently for £3.8mil.

image.thumb.png.d11afbe2d2ba37b65777f729616a363a.png

We're in the Champions League which is the real gamechanger going forward. No more £3-5mil budgets and hopefully nearer ten times that going forward as we'll actually start being able to bring in proper wonderkids and selling them on. Highlight results were beating Lille 5-1, Rennes 1-4, Lyon 4-0 and 0-2 and arguably the most impressive, a 3-1 win over Nice (who are quite comfortably the second best side now). Took 6 off Monaco as well.

PSG once again fail to even get past the quarters of the Champions League. They're giving me so many chances here. This would've felt miles off if they'd won the CL by now. Next season presents the first actual chance to beat them to it although our odds of winning the whole thing are absolutely tiny. Especially given they've given me next to nothing to spend again and I can only afford making Azon / Karrikaburu permanent due to the Houbaine sale to Leicester. Although I'm yet to even beat PSG in any game at all let alone to a Champions League title, I think given we've now beaten Nice, they're the only side I'm yet to beat in the league. We threw away a 2-0 lead to them in both games this season as well lol 

Edited by Dan LCFC

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Just wondering if someone can possibly help me with Football Manager. I am looking to start a new career with Leicester in the Championship and play with this set up. Does anyone know the best way to facilitate this at all? Do I need to Buy FM2023 and get the game editor? Probably a silly question, just wondering how to start this. 

I have not played the game for a few seasons and want to see if someone knows how to organise this game instead of buying the wrong version. Thanks for any help. 

On 30/06/2023 at 12:04, Dan LCFC said:

7th season completed. We're back in business.

Went back to 4-4-2 which I played when we came 5th. I binned it last time because we finished that season and started the following one badly, but I thought I had the players suitable for it again. I've decided the one key thing I'd been lacking, and something that seems to be really effective this year was a striker good in the air.

image.thumb.png.8142db8eba5bfc3ce57f5ed69822b2b6.png

Ivan Azon is the real key signing here. He's the forward we were missing. He was exceptional, I had an option to get him in permanently for £3.8mil.

image.thumb.png.d11afbe2d2ba37b65777f729616a363a.png

We're in the Champions League which is the real gamechanger going forward. No more £3-5mil budgets and hopefully nearer ten times that going forward as we'll actually start being able to bring in proper wonderkids and selling them on. Highlight results were beating Lille 5-1, Rennes 1-4, Lyon 4-0 and 0-2 and arguably the most impressive, a 3-1 win over Nice (who are quite comfortably the second best side now). Took 6 off Monaco as well.

PSG once again fail to even get past the quarters of the Champions League. They're giving me so many chances here. This would've felt miles off if they'd won the CL by now. Next season presents the first actual chance to beat them to it although our odds of winning the whole thing are absolutely tiny. Especially given they've given me next to nothing to spend again and I can only afford making Azon / Karrikaburu permanent due to the Houbaine sale to Leicester. Although I'm yet to even beat PSG in any game at all let alone to a Champions League title, I think given we've now beaten Nice, they're the only side I'm yet to beat in the league. We threw away a 2-0 lead to them in both games this season as well lol 

Season 8 done.

image.thumb.png.45669f8fc73a7f931510e2cfd94bfb8b.png

Slightly weaker than last season but it didn't really feel like it at times with the way we ripped through some sides particularly in the second half of the season. The main victims being Monaco (5-1), Nice (4-0), Reims (6-1), and Lyon losing here once again. Lyon and Monaco have got no answer to us. Even PSG lost here. Puel's Metz obviously somehow scabbed a win away here though.

Slightly miffed to miss out on the Champions League as a win at Lille in the penultimate weekend would've done the trick but we lost 1-0.

I think the most encouraging thing is how many goals we score despite how average our team actually is. I'd say it's at best about midtable. Generally reliable heads throughout the side but a couple of real gamechangers.

The beauty is we're finally playing with a bit of money - although they took their time.

image.thumb.png.58498cf8e9f0504937f30c19290a0433.png

Screenshot cuts it off but I sold winger Hassan Houbaine to Leicester for £7mil just before the summer and ploughed basically all of the proceeds into bringing in the two strikers I had on loan last season, so we actually entered the season weaker than we finished last which was really annoying given we were going to be taking substantial money from Champions League participation. They gave me £6mil in October. Thanks a bunch. That's really going to fix my summer now.

Trujillo who I've signed there I think will be a fantastic striker, but I've loaned him back there as I'm out of non-EU slots with only 4 allocated in this league. Treated myself on deadline day to a young winger called Pierre Metz who is French / Portuguese, and I didn't realise this, but Estoril Praia actually pinched him from our rivals Red Star which is pretty funny, a double whammy for them.

In my own Rudkin moment I'm losing two starting players (goalkeeper Zeljko Samcovic and centre back Efe Sarikaya) on frees. Samcovic is one of those classic FM situations where the player is just persistently underrated by the game and undervalued. He was horrible in his first season here and I nearly sacked him off there and then but he's become a reasonable Ligue 1 level goalkeeper - but he had interest from bigger clubs, didn't want to sign a new contract and the really annoying thing is the game undervalued him so much that I just let him run it down for the year, because despite him 'really' being worth probably £4-5mil, the game for some reason only had him at about £250k. Sarikaya is more that I've accidentally slipped too generous a contract, another steady performer on the whole but he's my highest paid player and probably about my 10th best.

Now for the fun - the Champions League.

With the new format, anybody who plays this will know but you now play 8 group games in one big group of 36 teams. The top 8 go to the last 16, the teams 9th-24th play-off. Being who we are I'm hoping that there's enough greyed out dross so that we can scrape our way into the knockouts. Three wins may do it.

Well three wins we got. And it was enough.

image.thumb.png.203b4a6058f42d66c75b2bb7aff4fceb.png

So predictably we were passed around the big boys and given a bumming by basically all of them, even Celtic managed to get involved, but the real clincher was the win at Genk (a league I have active). Salzburg's performance here was absolutely laughable, we should've won about 9-0.

I did think we could get something off Milan but we were beaten with two late goals and I feared that it would put us out, but it didn't, we've scraped it!

image.thumb.png.435587bd2f22fbb6c4ac0708119a4efc.png

Totally undeserved but we were in and secured the £8.5mil just for being in this round (as well as around £2.5mil for each point you pick up in the groups apparently). Given this round is seeded too we would face anybody ranked between 9th and 16th. The same nationality avoidance has been removed so we could draw Nice, and I really didn't want them. Valencia were my preference. Unfortunately, it's Man City. Drink it in boys, it's going to be an experience and not a nice one.

Well we completely defy the odds and are 2-0 up in the first 15 minutes. They pull one back immediately, batter us for the remainder and equalise with the very last kick of the game for a 2-2 draw. It's a fantastic result but it's such a shame - though realistically I think we'd have needed a 3, maybe even 4 goal lead to go to the away leg with any confidence. They're still Guardiola led and Haaland spearheaded, albeit having a pretty iffy domestic campaign and there's a reason they've only landed in 9th place in the CL.

No pressure I tell them as I expect another bumming, but despite Man City's chances, they just never quite seem to crack it. I get to 20 minutes and I'm surprised it's still goalless, then 30, then 40, then half time. We're really holding our own. We've cleared a couple off the line, but gaps were opening up on the break for us.

I learnt from the first leg that my subs are largely shit. I think I brought it on myself to concede at the end of the first leg by favouring inadequate fresh players over decent knackered ones. Not again. I don't make a sub until the 77th minute, amazingly, still at 0-0. We're surely, surely going to crack eventually.

And the goal arrives in the 90th minute.

It's Ivan Azon.

image.thumb.png.03ca55412c2504a0cfa3f60088808f4a.png

The absolute unthinkable. I play games on this and generally think I can pull surprise results off but I gave us absolutely not a prayer of this and we ended up winning. Paris FC have announced themselves to the Champions League. The mission now is to beat the other half (well, 90%) of the city to the trophy.

I watch the round of 16 draw completely dreading we get PSG. With just four sides left in, it's PSG or AC Milan for us. Thankfully, it's Milan again. Albeit this is a side we have just lost to.

No big dramatic story this time, we go ahead early but lose 1-3, Emi Buendia (a player they somehow paid £80mil for) buries us with two late goals. We pick up an extremely respectable 0-0 draw in the away leg despite an early red card but it's the end of the road. Thankfully, PSG are dumped out by Napoli and the trophy still eludes them.

Shout out to Ivan Azon who was absolutely unbelievable. I thought I'd been Waghorn'd after making his loan move permanent for the first half of the season as he only got about 8 goals but he finished the campaign on 26 in the league missing out on the golden boot by just the one. Israeli winger Yossi Ohayon had a cracking season as well.

Gamechanger of a season for us - I think our Champions League earnings alone were around £40mil which is massive given my total spend at Paris in eight years is around fifty excluding sales. With £20mil in the transfer kitty this season it's time to sign some real killers. I need to plug the Samcovic and Sarikaya shaped holes first but thankfully now I can do this while treating myself to Red Star Belgrade's next wonder striker. Stay tuned!

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Unique FC said:

Hello, Just wondering if someone can possibly help me with Football Manager. I am looking to start a new career with Leicester in the Championship and play with this set up. Does anyone know the best way to facilitate this at all? Do I need to Buy FM2023 and get the game editor? Probably a silly question, just wondering how to start this. 

I have not played the game for a few seasons and want to see if someone knows how to organise this game instead of buying the wrong version. Thanks for any help. 

Just had a quick google and the comments on this video l suggest it's easy enough if you follow the steps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TFB4e0-GsA

This would require the purchase of Fm23.

If you can wait till FM24 then that's your other option.

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

Just had a quick google and the comments on this video l suggest it's easy enough if you follow the steps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TFB4e0-GsA

This would require the purchase of Fm23.

If you can wait till FM24 then that's your other option.

Thank you very much for your help! 

I found a few other YouTube videos but they were about rebuilding and not so much how to set the game up.

Thank you, 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

The pentagon challenge is surely going to get far harder on FM24 due to Saudi Arabia. Given you can't actually manage there and you're going to have to take down these Saudi behemoths with Korean sides at best. Yikes.

Depends what year you're in I suppose. I'd say they'd regress by 2027 or so

19 hours ago, Stadt said:

Depends what year you're in I suppose. I'd say they'd regress by 2027 or so

It depends if they keep spending and how much the game considers this - I think there's a chance they make it playable and there's also a chance they amend it so that the clubs have almost unlimited money, but then the AI aren't great at transfers.

I beat a Saudi side in the final on 22 and they were absolutely abject. The game does still underpower 'greyed' teams.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/07/2023 at 15:26, Dan LCFC said:

The pentagon challenge is surely going to get far harder on FM24 due to Saudi Arabia. Given you can't actually manage there and you're going to have to take down these Saudi behemoths with Korean sides at best. Yikes.

Surely just download the around the globe database so you can?