Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Strikes

7 hours ago, David Hankey said:

And this is the daft thing about strikes. Trade union bosses on their big fat salaries and expenses paid packages calling supposedly low paid workers out on strike.

How can folk give up pay if they are so poorly paid, it doesn't make sense.

Union Bosses don't call  anyone out on strike,  if anything these days it is the mebers insosting that their elected representives take the neccesary action to ensure strikes can go ahead if coolective bargaining breaks down.  The rules on ballots now make it impossible for unions to call memebers out on strike on a wim.  The vast majotity of Umion Leaders forgo their pay on strike days,  despite them  being the bussiest days of their working life. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

Union Bosses don't call  anyone out on strike,  if anything these days it is the mebers insosting that their elected representives take the neccesary action to ensure strikes can go ahead if coolective bargaining breaks down.  The rules on ballots now make it impossible for unions to call memebers out on strike on a wim.  The vast majotity of Umion Leaders forgo their pay on strike days,  despite them  being the bussiest days of their working life. 

I hear what you and others have said about trade unions bosses foregoing their pay on strike days but when you're on £130K plus a year that money going into a 'hardship fund' is a) pretty minimal and b) would not stretch very far across the masses who are striking. However, to the outsider it all looks very laudable.

35 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

I hear what you and others have said about trade unions bosses foregoing their pay on strike days but when you're on £130K plus a year that money going into a 'hardship fund' is a) pretty minimal and b) would not stretch very far across the masses who are striking. However, to the outsider it all looks very laudable.

You might have a blind spot as far as Unions are concerned 

5 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

You give the impression that you might be against any strike by Unions even if justified by democratic process. Sorry if I have this wrong

But hes okay to have the pay rise if his colleagues get one after fighting for it🙄🙄

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

You give the impression that you might be against any strike by Unions even if justified by democratic process. Sorry if I have this wrong

I understand that workers have the "right to strike" but as I have said before rarely do you get 100% in voting for and taking strike action. 

Surely, by the same token, workers have a right not to strike.

Just now, David Hankey said:

I understand that workers have the "right to strike" but as I have said before rarely do you get 100% in voting for and taking strike action. 

Surely, by the same token, workers have a right not to strike.

Unless an old fashioned close shop you don't have to join a union. Under your thinking we could never elect a government unless 100% voted for a candidate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Mate not having a go at you personally and congrats on being a cfo but it’s by no means the ‘top of the profession’ - you get middle managers from practice going into cfo positions at regional industry firms. because it’s a chilled out job for a decent cheque 

Chilled out job? OK….

1 minute ago, Foxdiamond said:

It seems you have lost the argument by your response 

What argument? You have on standpoint, I have one. That doesn't mean you have won or that I have lost.

I can't understand why you should think that we should all agree, we do not live under a communist regime.

2 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

What argument? You have on standpoint, I have one. That doesn't mean you have won or that I have lost.

I can't understand why you should think that we should all agree, we do not live under a communist regime.

I thought you wanted 100% agreement for a strike

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, David Hankey said:

And this is the daft thing about strikes. Trade union bosses on their big fat salaries and expenses paid packages calling supposedly low paid workers out on strike.

How can folk give up pay if they are so poorly paid, it doesn't make sense.

Are you REALLY so ignorant that you can make a post like that?

No-one "calls workers out on strike". It goes to a ballot of the workforce for which the strike has to be agreed by the majority of union members. That's law.

If the result of the ballot does not result in a mandate to strike, the proposed strike will not take place. 

Workers will give up pay when they are truly aggrieved and need to make stand. They feel so strongly about their grievance that they will make sacrifices to achieve fairness. That's ALL they want.

I'm not a militant by any means, but I feel I have more understanding of the process than you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robo61 said:

Who pays that nominal amount,  if its the trade union,  then its not pay but compensation. 

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Ah okay, yeah I think it's from the union pal.

Paid from union funds. Short term only.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Are you REALLY so ignorant that you can make a post like that?

No-one "calls workers out on strike". It goes to a ballot of the workforce for which the strike has to be agreed by the majority of union members. That's law.

If the result of the ballot does not result in a mandate to strike, the proposed strike will not take place. 

Workers will give up pay when they are truly aggrieved and need to make stand. They feel so strongly about their grievance that they will make sacrifices to achieve fairness. That's ALL they want.

I'm not a militant by any means, but I feel I have more understanding of the process than you.

I presume you think I'm ignorant simply because I have a different opinion to yours. If that makes you feel you have a better understanding of the situation, fine, think what you like.

9 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Where striking is totally illegal. Is that what you'd like?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, David Hankey said:

I presume you think I'm ignorant simply because I have a different opinion to yours. If that makes you feel you have a better understanding of the situation, fine, think what you like.

But your posts are simplistic and blinkered. At least I am prepared to actually understand how the process works. You, on the other hand, spout some rhetorical rubbish that is entirely from you point of view, no depth of understanding or any attempt to actually understand or see another's point of view. 

Posting in ignorance is just stupid. And that's how you come across.

• Like 4