Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Strikes

1 hour ago, Raj said:

People do need to realise that most of  the workers striking DO NOT get paid for striking.

And this is the daft thing about strikes. Trade union bosses on their big fat salaries and expenses paid packages calling supposedly low paid workers out on strike.

How can folk give up pay if they are so poorly paid, it doesn't make sense.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

And this is the daft thing about strikes. Trade union bosses on their big fat salaries and expenses paid packages calling supposedly low paid workers out on strike.

Sometimes you HAVE to make these sacrifices  for the bigger picture.

Another poster stated all the industries recently were striking has taken place.

All these workers cant just sit back and say "We will carry on working for less money in our pocket from 5 years ago"

I dont understand  your rationale to be honest.

The "Big bosses" always get paid more at companies, why should it be different in unions?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Milo said:

I think the majority of people understand this, tbf

It wouldn’t really make sense if people got paid for striking. 

I dont know.

Reading some comments, ots like they are striking just for a laugh and it's only parents of poor johnny who are suffering having to get childcare and look after THEIR OWN children....God forbid looking after their own kids!!

Remember  most teachers are parents too..

14 minutes ago, Raj said:

Sometimes you HAVE to make these sacrifices  for the bigger picture.

Another poster stated all the industries recently were striking has taken place.

All these workers cant just sit back and say "We will carry on working for less money in our pocket from 5 years ago"

I dont understand  your rationale to be honest.

The "Big bosses" always get paid more at companies, why should it be different in unions?

I haven't said it should be different, it's just the irony of it all.

If I was on the "breadline" I certainly would not give a day's pay for the supposedly bigger picture.

11 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

If I was on the "breadline" I certainly would not give a day's pay for the supposedly bigger picture.

That's fair enough but then you shouldn't get the pay increase which your fellow workers are fighting for when they negotiate a better deal.

On 18/01/2023 at 19:51, Raj said:

Just chatting sh1t as always...hes a CFO dont you know🙄🤣🤣

Being a CFO means he's at the top of his profession.....  I'm sure when he started out in a professional career, he wasn't earning a six figure salary.   In the same way that a teacher or a nurse at entry level is paid less. 

But the headteacher, or a band 9 Nurse, would be earning six figures because they are at the top of their profession.... or to quote the NHS website "Band 9 nursing posts are for the most senior members of NHS management who help shape high level decision making".....

Roughly the same as a CFO does. 

Don't shoot the man down for being good at his job and having a different perspective to you.  It's called debate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

Trade union bosses are handing their big fat salaries into a hardship fund for the workers. Next question pls 

Furthermore a chunk of the strikers can make up lost pay in doing overtime, because guess what the system is broken in lots of services and is relying on those doing overtime to exist 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Bit of a straw-man argument there. No one said all teachers are on the breadline. Teachers salary is roughly 1.4x the average national wage (down from about 1.6x, a decade ago) so it would be naive to suggest that. 

That doesn't mean we should be happy with the continual erosion of working condition and pay, just because we're not on minimum wages, considering the workload, the responsibilies, and the training and qualifications you need to do the job. 

Just now, Greg2607 said:

Being a CFO means he's at the top of his profession.....  I'm sure when he started out in a professional career, he wasn't earning a six figure salary.   In the same way that a teacher or a nurse at entry level is paid less. 

But the headteacher, or a band 9 Nurse, would be earning six figures because they are at the top of their profession.... or to quote the NHS website "Band 9 nursing posts are for the most senior members of NHS management who help shape high level decision making".....

Roughly the same as a CFO does. 

Don't shoot the man down for being good at his job and having a different perspective to you.  It's called debate. 

Mate not having a go at you personally and congrats on being a cfo but it’s by no means the ‘top of the profession’ - you get middle managers from practice going into cfo positions at regional industry firms. because it’s a chilled out job for a decent cheque 

Just now, Greg2607 said:

But the headteacher, or a band 9 Nurse, would be earning six figures because they are at the top of their profession.... 

Most head teachers will not be on six figures, or even close - at least in primary education. I think the only person on that is our CEO, in a trust of over 20 schools. 

Maybe of you're in London or head of a massive secondary. But I always have to call that figure out, because I know a lot of heads, and none of them are close to earning 6 figures. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Most head teachers will not be on six figures, or even close - at least in primary education. I think the only person on that is our CEO, in a trust of over 20 schools. 

Maybe of you're in London or head of a massive secondary. But I always have to call that figure out, because I know a lot of heads, and none of them are close to earning 6 figures. 

fair enough and I stand corrected on that point. Albeit, my premise remains. 

There will be CFO's on £60k and CFO's on £2m... it's relative to the size of the company / organisation that they are responsible for. 

We are getting slightly off topic though, as it doesn't relate directly to the strikes, it just felt like @Tommy G was getting personal attacks for being successful in his career. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raj said:

That's fair enough but then you shouldn't get the pay increase which your fellow workers are fighting for when they negotiate a better deal.

Why not? If I have paid my union dues and the union have "negotiated" a pay award why shouldn't I benefit?

49 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Why not? If I have paid my union dues and the union have "negotiated" a pay award why shouldn't I benefit?

I think at this point you're just being deliberately disingenuous, but I'll bite. 

The union isn't just the leadership, it's the sum of it parts. The heads of the union help organise it, but a union relies on all its members working collaboratively. A union that splinters into lots of different factions that all do their own thing defeats the point of a union.

Edited by Charl91
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

I think at this point you're just being deliberately disingenuous, but I'll bite. 

The union isn't just the leadership, it's the sum of it parts. The heads of the union help organise it, but a union relies on all its members working collaboratively. A union that splinters into lots of different factions that all do their own thing defeats the point of a union.

Surely, you're not expecting ALL of the people to be in total agreement. Rarely, if ever, do you get 100% of the workforce voting for strike action.

Unions are there to "represent" their members and do what they consider their best for all members.

8 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Surely, you're not expecting ALL of the people to be in total agreement. Rarely, if ever, do you get 100% of the workforce voting for strike action.

Unions are there to "represent" their members and do what they consider their best for all members.

Unions are about collective action for a greater good. Not everyone has to vote for strikes, but if its the direction that is voted for, then unless you have a very good reason, or have very strong feelings to the contrary, then it's your duty to support your fellow teachers / nurses / any other profession. 

And if you feel like a union is constantly going against your interests, then it's probably not the right union for you. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Unions are about collective action for a greater good. Not everyone has to vote for strikes, but if its the direction that is voted for, then unless you have a very good reason, or have very strong feelings to the contrary, then it's your duty to support your fellow teachers / nurses / any other profession. 

And if you feel like a union is constantly going against your interests, then it's probably not the right union for you. 

That's probably why, in all my working life, I never joined a trade union.

On 18/01/2023 at 13:50, lcfc278 said:

The average inflation rate over the last 10 years is just over 2.5%, ranging from between 1% - 3.5% you can find that online somewhere I'm sure of it.

In most private sector industries it's pretty much an expectation by workers that inflation is usually factored into annual pay rises, it's only since it's been higher post-Covid and all the recent external factors where this probably hasn't been the case. Employers know if they don't that they are most likely to lose talented employees as it's been pretty much a given.

Ha, I've been working in the private sector since I was 17 and I don't recognise the sunlit uplands that you paint of annual wage rises let alone annual above inflation rises. I'd imagine that's the same for a vast number of people. 

Every employer I've come across give nothing away unless you actually quit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Your not going to strike BUT you WILL take the pay increase your fellow workers are striking for and are trying to negotiate??

Is that what your saying???

So you carry on working, your colleagues go out on strike and lose money even though they too  might be on the bread line too, but unlike you have morals but you will cream the pay rise and thank them for striking!!!

Good job theres no war on..."you fight on Pal I'll watch but get a medal when we win!"

Your like the John Terry of foxestalk!!

You might have to join my ever increasing list of ignored users🤣🤣

Edited by Raj
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Your not going to strike BUT you WILL take the pay increase your fellow workers are striking for and are trying to negotiate??

Is that what your saying???

So you carry on working, your colleagues go out on strike and lose money even though they too  might be on the bread line too, but unlike you have morals but you will cream the pay rise and thank them for striking!!!

Good job theres no war on..."you fight on Pal I'll watch but get a medal when we win!"

Your like the John Terry of foxestalk!!

You might have to join my ever increasing list of ignored users🤣🤣

With that lack of commonsense I can see why you have an increasing list of ignored users of which I am happy to join.

Your analogy of war is even more meaningless.

35 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

With that lack of commonsense I can see why you have an increasing list of ignored users of which I am happy to join.

Your analogy of war is even more meaningless.

Well it's not though, BUT if your happy with your ethos of not having a morale standing, letting others fight for you but hoping on the gravy train to reap their rewards then good on you.

Ta ra.