Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

New Contract

How many people think/hope Joey gets a new contract next season??

I do especially after the way he is playing this season.

i hope he does, he defo deserves one!!! if he doesnt get one, then CL and the board are off their rockers!! lol!

Probably our player of the year this season. Not only his consistency but his level of improvement and his wholehearted commitment.

I'd give him 8/10 for performance and 10/10 for attitude. That certainly warrants a new contract - which would give him time to learn to keep his shots down and on target which will make him an even better player.

Granted, Joey has been playing out of his skin but I'm still not convinced he is as good as many suggest.

He is not a good defensive midfielder, so he can not play that role in the team. Indeed, his improvement in form has been when he has been the more attacking midfielder.

With that, I question his creative passing ability and ability to get box-to-box effectively. With that, I mean his ability to get into good positions when he gets from box to box. There is no question he runs a hell of a lot, but the positions he takes in and around the box are not actually that good. That is why it seems we lack an Izzet type box-to-box player who can get on the end of chances.

If Joey is able to improve on this, then yes, he deserves a new contract, otherwise, for me, the jury's still out as to whether he can actually be anything more than a squad player.

Disagree completely with breadandcheese. Joey has been magnificent this season despite our shortcomings on the pitch. He has been Mr Consistent and his attitude has been superb.

I'd echo the words of Thrac, he definitely deserves a new contract. On the form he's in there will be a few clubs looking at him and I don't think we can afford to let him go, especially with Kisnorbo being distinctly average, Williams only playing 10 minutes out of 90, and Hughes being Matt Jones Mk II.

Give him a new contract now!

Granted, Joey has been playing out of his skin but I'm still not convinced he is as good as many suggest.

He is not a good defensive midfielder, so he can not play that role in the team. Indeed, his improvement in form has been when he has been the more attacking midfielder.

With that, I question his creative passing ability and ability to get box-to-box effectively. With that, I mean his ability to get into good positions when he gets from box to box. There is no question he runs a hell of a lot, but the positions he takes in and around the box are not actually that good. That is why it seems we lack an Izzet type box-to-box player who can get on the end of chances.

If Joey is able to improve on this, then yes, he deserves a new contract, otherwise, for me, the jury's still out as to whether he can actually be anything more than a squad player.

Good points and with those in mind I'd like to see him play with a more creative midfield partner - a sort of souped up Williams. Kisnorbo just isn't a polished gemstone. Weso sounds more like what I've got in mind (though I've not seen him play).

Given that sort of partner I believe Joey would thrive even more and be confident of making his forward runs.

It'd be a nightmare for anyone to predict where our passes into the box are going to finish up cos there's no consistency. Corners are an example but not the only one.

When the legendary Davie Gibson made an attacking pass (can't remember him making anything else actually), everyone knew precisely where the ball would land and could literally put a half-crown on the ground for it to bounce on.

When City try to deliver the same balls - and Sylla is a prime example - anything can happen.

Not only should he be given a new contract, Imo i think he should be made captain.

I sympathise with your call for Joey to be captain and it might be a worthwhile experiment. I just feel Joey's got enough to do. Whether McCarthy will learn from yesterday's reaction is another question altogether. I certainly don't see Kisnorbo as captain - he'll be lucky to stay in the side if it's on performance.

Funny how players up their game at contract renewal time. Gillespie looked quite useful in his last season here (but didn't win a new contract). He's reverted to his default condition of crapness now he's got a new club. I would like to see more from JG as things stand.

Joey won't want to sign a new contract now unfortunately as it would mean a pay decrease....maybe he'd be willing to take a cut at the end of the season but not yet.

Parachute payments over next season ay.

Funny how players up their game at contract renewal time. Gillespie looked quite useful in his last season here (but didn't win a new contract). He's reverted to his default condition of crapness now he's got a new club. I would like to see more from JG as things stand.

gillespie's contract wasnt renewed as he wanted too much money (smae for walker and most of the released players)

Gillespie only looked good in his last few months here, Joey has looked good in patches last season and looked very good this season (in my opinion of course). I think he is worth giving a new contract to, regular football has really improved him. Whether we can afford to give him a new one is another matter though...

Gillespie only looked good in his last few months here, Joey has looked good in patches last season and looked very good this season (in my opinion of course). I think he is worth giving a new contract to, regular football has really improved him. Whether we can afford to give him a new one is another matter though...

No way get rid, i want us to have no players on contract and just play the backroom staff

Joey was awesome again tonight and if he doesn't get a new contract i will be very unhappy.

He played with real passion tonight and really wanted to win.

If he doesn't get a new contract it will be an arrestable defence!

Joey was awesome again tonight and if he doesn't get a new contract i will be very unhappy.

He played with real passion tonight and really wanted to win.

If he doesn't get a new contract it will be an arrestable defence!

agreed :thumbup:

joey is only consistant player at the moment playing great game in game out, he deserves a new contract and i wuold love him to sign one but i wouldnt be surprised if a prem club snap him up :(

... Weso sounds more like what I've got in mind (though I've not seen him play).

Given that sort of partner I believe Joey would thrive even more and be confident of making his forward runs.

When City try to deliver the same balls - and Sylla is a prime example - anything can happen.

That's a point... Weso. Can't wait for him to be fit and see what he can bring to the team. :P

Archived