Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Cats

Bit of advice wanted please how long do leave  live it when your cat stops eating before you take it vets. My cat who came to me as a stray a few weeks ago hasn't eaten since Wednesday seems fine in himself still looking alert and lively  and grooming himself but not interested in food at all atm

54 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

Bit of advice wanted please how long do leave  live it when your cat stops eating before you take it vets. My cat who came to me as a stray a few weeks ago hasn't eaten since Wednesday seems fine in himself still looking alert and lively  and grooming himself but not interested in food at all atm

I'd say, that as long as he is drinking water, then you can get away with another couple of days.... maybe try something different to cat food.  Will he eat dreamies if you try to give him some?  Cats a fussy... mine stopped eating her felix this week, absolutely not interested whatsoever... gave her a pouch of whiskers and she ate every last bit... today... not interested in whiskers, but will eat a pouch of Aldi own brand....  means I tend to buy 3 or 4 different brands and rotate them.

I reckon i'd get bored of food as well if I only ever ate the same thing 3 times a day, every day, forever. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Graceroad said:

That’s quite a long time. Cats are experts at hiding when they aren’t feeling well. I would definitely get it checked out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rachhere said:

That’s quite a long time. Cats are experts at hiding when they aren’t feeling well. I would definitely get it checked out. 

@Graceroad    Yep, obviously making sure that as a (recent) stray, it's not popping out for food elsewhere!

(cats often go 24 hours without food, if they are feeling a bit under the weather.   But much longer than that, and need to check it out)

• Like 1

On 24/07/2023 at 13:35, RoboFox said:

I'm unashamedly a complete mess around cats. I adore them and I quite often come across as unhinged when I try to get near them to touch them regardless of the appropriateness of the situation. I often bury my face in them because they smell amazing. I'm very aware this is weird. 

This is my void feline. He has many names, most of which are complete nonsense, but his real name is Hank. He follows me around the house relentlessly and as I work from home mainly, he does this all day, every day. 

IMG_9282.thumb.jpg.36d97419b755bef3d83248811f26cafd.jpg IMG_0346.thumb.jpeg.b7eefac7649cb1924706ed75bdbf5e8f.jpeg

Mods… ban this monster immediately. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

The wife's been badgering me for a couple of kittens since our last cat passed earlier in the year.  

As a surprise for her birthday yesterday I took her to the local rescue centre to pick a couple out.  The look on her face was worth the crippling vet bills and cat vomit that will soon inevitably be part of my life.  

I'll post the obligatory cute cat pics once we've collected in a couple of weeks.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bordersfox said:

The wife's been badgering me for a couple of kittens since our last cat passed earlier in the year.  

As a surprise for her birthday yesterday I took her to the local rescue centre to pick a couple out.  The look on her face was worth the crippling vet bills and cat vomit that will soon inevitably be part of my life.  

I'll post the obligatory cute cat pics once we've collected in a couple of weeks.  

Aww lovely! And great you went to a rescue :). 

• Like 2

On 22/09/2023 at 09:07, Graceroad said:

How do you know it's a stray? Have you been keeping it indoors since you got it or had it been going out?

Also if you've just acquired it the first thing to do is go to the vet and get it checked out. See if it has a chip, if so is the previous owner is contactable.

Then get all it's flea and worming treatment sorted and keep it indoors for a few weeks so it knows it's home.

If you're genuinely going to be the new owner you'll also need to see if it's been spayed / neutered and if it doesn't have a microchip get one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

How do you know it's a stray? Have you been keeping it indoors since you got it or had it been going out?

Also if you've just acquired it the first thing to do is go to the vet and get it checked out. See if it has a chip, if so is the previous owner is contactable.

Then get all it's flea and worming treatment sorted and keep it indoors for a few weeks so it knows it's home.

If you're genuinely going to be the new owner you'll also need to see if it's been spayed / neutered and if it doesn't have a microchip get one.

Very good advice. Didn't think of the chip aspect! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Great morning removing a half eaten bird carcass and the cat's post-dinner shit off the lawn this morning. 

Cheers all :thumbdown:

All these folk melting over the loveliness of these feline fiends, are either oblivious or simply don't care about the maiming of other creatures, especially birds, and the 'deposits' they leave in others gardens.

Horrible creatures.

4 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

All these folk melting over the loveliness of these feline fiends, are either oblivious or simply don't care about the maiming of other creatures, especially birds, and the 'deposits' they leave in others gardens.

Horrible creatures.

Yes I can imagine* lots of cat owners would be disgusted by people not cleaning up after their dogs but think nothing of letting their cats out.

*:surrender:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Horrible creatures.

I don't suppose you consider who has to clear up the dog mess left in bins or elsewhere.  How many people need hospital treatment due to dog bites . 

• 2 months later...