Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Samu

England seeded for World Cup

Seedings

Who would we want in our group, I'd like an interesting group with teams we never play, something like England, Ukraine, Angola and Costa Rica would be interesting. Would love to get someone like Ghana, Togo etc cos they are teams we've probably never played.

Seedings

Who would we want in our group, I'd like an interesting group with teams we never play, something like England, Ukraine, Angola and Costa Rica would be interesting. Would love to get someone like Ghana, Togo etc cos they are teams we've probably never played.

I'd like us to stuff Australia, but then my Fiance is Australian! And the USA, because they shouldn;t be that highly rated from beating Belize a couple of times. Look at Australia, they beat Amercian Samoa 19-0 Woo!

Italy just got the 8th seed from? Yes you've guessed it USA!

The FIFA rankings make a mockery of World football.

How can the USA who will struggle to reach the knock-out stages of the tournament be FIFA's 9th ranked team for the World Cup?

Richest country in the world? :ph34r:

How can the USA who will struggle to reach the knock-out stages of the tournament be FIFA's 9th ranked team for the World Cup?

Its because they have to play so many more qualifiers to go through than us and most of them are 5hit teams. i don't understand why when we beat them in a friendly they still stay ahead of us. oh and as England haven't been taking freindlies seriously over the past few years this is another why we are noty as high as people think we should be.

I'd personally like to see a group with England, Switzerland, the Ukraine and U.S.A.

It's one team from each pot in each group isn't it? Which would mean Switzerland and Ukraine can't be drawn together.

I fancy Switzerland, Ivory Coast and America, for no particular reason.

No offence to Frency, but seeing as I don't think France scored a goal in the last Wolrd Cup, I don't see why they should be seeded (although I'm glad we won't have to play them in the group stages). Also how Spain were seeded I don't know either. The Czech's and the Dutch should have been seeded over those two, and probably over Italy and USA (even though I know they were not) too. Why Euro 2004 performances don't count for anything I don't know.

I suppose it's all relative though, if you want to win you should be able to beat the best in the World.

They got as far as England did last time. Further in 1994 as well.

The USA is a good team, they don't have much depth but if they get their first XI on the pitch then they could do well. We do not want them in our group.

Its because they have to play so many more qualifiers to go through than us and most of them are 5hit teams. i don't understand why when we beat them in a friendly they still stay ahead of us. oh and as England haven't been taking freindlies seriously over the past few years this is another why we are noty as high as people think we should be.

Hmm...

Before I begin, "friendlies" are "friendlies." They don't really count all that much. And England should be higher? That what, one of the eight seeded teams at the World Cup (and second-ranked under the seeding system, too)? It doesn't really get much higher than that.

Anyway, neither I nor Bruce Arena and his squad will go around and claim that the FIFA World Rankings are the most legitimate system in the world for quanitfying who's better than whom. It really is a ridiculous system. FIFA can have monkeys bang away on calculators to determine their rankings and that's up to them--the only thing the United States can do is play their games and try to beat whoever's lined up to play us (and that's what they did, finishing atop both of their groups after a crazy 18-game qualifying schedule). The same thing goes for everyone else. However, there aren't many other ways to compare teams from all over the world, so we're stuck with this imperfect system.

It's ridiculous, however, to have Mexico get a seeding at the United States' expense. Since 2001, I believe the United States has beaten Mexico in five of their last eight meetings with one draw and two losses (both by one goal at the Estadio Azteca, the biggest home-field advantage in the world). The United States finished on top of their final WCQ group, not Mexico. The United States is the current confederation champion, not Mexico. And, oh, yeah, almost forgot... the United States beat Mexico 2-0 in the World Cup 2002 second round, and FIFA said they're counting K/J 2002 twice as much as they're counting France 98 in the seeding rankings!

Spain seeded? Come on, what has Spain done since 1998? Yeah, you can talk about the U.S.'s atrocious outing in France 98, but Spain got knocked out of the group stage in France 98, Euro 2002 and went as far as the U.S. did in 2002 (and we both were tied with semifinalist South Korea after 90 mins.). The Netherlands, Croatia, Turkey and South Korea all made World Cup semifinals since 98, but Spain is a historical underachiever. And yet Spain was scored the THIRD-HIGHEST--higher than France, who, lest we forget, won both France 98 and Euro 2002, and Germany, who finished runners-up last time around.

I don't think the United States is among the top eight teams in the World, but based upon the seeding criteria outlined by FIFA, I'd assume that they and/or the Netherlands (despite missing out on 2002) would have gotten a seed at Mexico or Spain's expense... but Sepp and his boys do some strange things.

...but as I said before, the only thing the 32 teams who are in can do about this is to go out and beat whoever's lined up in front of them.

I like the U.S.'s team and I think they can give anybody in the world a decent game, but if England were to draw my boys, England would be the clear favorites in their matchup provided Sven gets his sh|t together.

England has overcome the shaky form that made almost made their World Cup qualifying campaign very interesting. They'll be playing in Europe next summer, too. I don't think you guys should be worried at all about the U.S. or whomever else! (...well, maybe if you draw the Netherlands and miss out on the minnows in the other two pools...).

---

Nevertheless, I am excited for Friday's draw and I will be getting my drink and party on, so I'll have one eye on the happenings at Leipzig, another one focused on Stoke-Leicester, and one hand holding an alcholic beverage. :thumbsup:

It's ridiculous, however, to have Mexico get a seeding at the United States' expense. Since 2001, I believe the United States has beaten Mexico in five of their last eight meetings with one draw and two losses (both by one goal at the Estadio Azteca, the biggest home-field advantage in the world). The United States finished on top of their final WCQ group, not Mexico. The United States is the current confederation champion, not Mexico. And, oh, yeah, almost forgot... the United States beat Mexico 2-0 in the World Cup 2002 second round, and FIFA said they're counting K/J 2002 twice as much as they're counting France 98 in the seeding rankings!

Maybe if Arena agreed to the USA playing in CopaAmerica then the US would be seeded. Those extra games every year in competitive situations really inflate the rankings.

JoBeck is forgetting that the US only finished on top of their group by goal difference so it isn't as clear cut as it seems.

Out of the teams in Pot 4 we do not want the USA though. You have to bear in mind that half their squad will have been together for 6 months or so, as MLS doesnt start until April and the European based players are pretty good as well.

Trindidad and tobago on the other hand.... We could play David James and win.

They got as far as England did last time. Further in 1994 as well.

The USA is a good team, they don't have much depth but if they get their first XI on the pitch then they could do well. We do not want them in our group.

Well said. USA are 8th on merit. They do just as well as England in major international tournaments. Too many England fans are narrow minded and know nothing about football outside of England. Ignorant and Arrogant in my opinion and another reason why England will fail...yet again. I bet USA do just as well in tournament as England. Take away Rooney and England has no chance. All these people also that say Japan etc will get thrashed. Just wait and see. Japan or Ghana will surpsise someone big style.

Maybe if Arena agreed to the USA playing in CopaAmerica then the US would be seeded. Those extra games every year in competitive situations really inflate the rankings.

JoBeck is forgetting that the US only finished on top of their group by goal difference so it isn't as clear cut as it seems.

The USSF have their reasons... not saying I agree with all them but it's not a ridiculous argument.

I'm not forgetting the final WCQ group standings... Goal differential or not, the U.S. still finished on top, as they've done with pretty much anything they've competed with Mexico on the senior level.

I think Ghana or the Ivory Coast will be the Senegal of 2006 (certainly one African team should be a Cinderella)--not only do those two teams have a few star players, but they're hungry and they know a thing or two about surprising people already.

Hypothetical question: How would you all react if England were to be drawn against Australia? ;)

The USSF have their reasons... not saying I agree with all them but it's not a ridiculous argument.

I'm not forgetting the final WCQ group standings... Goal differential or not, the U.S. still finished on top, as they've done with pretty much anything they've competed with Mexico on the senior level.

Hypothetical question: How would you all react if England were to be drawn against Australia? ;)

The USA will do ok -depending on the draw but Mexico deserves to be seeded ahead of the USA, when you look at everything they have done recently including Copa America and the Confederations Cup.

Australia - no thanks. It will be their World Cup Final, I dont want any part of that.

Well said. USA are 8th on merit. They do just as well as England in major international tournaments. Too many England fans are narrow minded and know nothing about football outside of England. Ignorant and Arrogant in my opinion and another reason why England will fail...yet again. I bet USA do just as well in tournament as England. Take away Rooney and England has no chance. All these people also that say Japan etc will get thrashed. Just wait and see. Japan or Ghana will surpsise someone big style.

Ghana yes, Japan No.

USA are one of the few international sides where their sum is greater than their indiviudal parets. Having said that your prediction they will do as wll is a giant leap of faith. There is no comparison in terms of quality of player, not one USA player would get in the England team.

Archived