Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Asian Cup 2024

Asian Cup will kick off on Saturday, looking at the time the games should be reasonable for the European audience, shocking for the Aussie supporters, but hey we’re used to being up at 3am to watch our team.

Australia, Japan, Iran and South Korea will be the big teams to look out for, but, with the tournament being in Qatar, I’m backing Saudi Arabia to lift the trophy in February.

The group stage could be pretty boring with Australia v India and Japan v Indonesia games for example should be big wins for the big nations.

Qatar are both holders and hosts and could go well, but I don’t think they have the quality to match the big guys if they show up. 
Leicester links: Obviously Harry Souttar is the big Leicester link playing for Australia. But former Fox Roberto Mancini will also be at the tournament managing Saudi Arabia.

I expect this  tournament to come alive in the knock out stages, when the big four of five teams start being challenged and playing each other. Despite its timing, I think most of the sides have their best players available and it should be good a good tournament.

My predictions - for what they’re worth:

Winners: Saudi Arabia 

runners up: Iran 

Top scorer: Taremi (Iran)

13 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Asian Cup will kick off on Saturday, looking at the time the games should be reasonable for the European audience, shocking for the Aussie supporters, but hey we’re used to being up at 3am to watch our team.

Australia, Japan, Iran and South Korea will be the big teams to look out for, but, with the tournament being in Qatar, I’m backing Saudi Arabia to lift the trophy in February.

The group stage could be pretty boring with Australia v India and Japan v Indonesia games for example should be big wins for the big nations.

Qatar are both holders and hosts and could go well, but I don’t think they have the quality to match the big guys if they show up. 
Leicester links: Obviously Harry Souttar is the big Leicester link playing for Australia. But former Fox Roberto Mancini will also be at the tournament managing Saudi Arabia.

I expect this  tournament to come alive in the knock out stages, when the big four of five teams start being challenged and playing each other. Despite its timing, I think most of the sides have their best players available and it should be good a good tournament.

My predictions - for what they’re worth:

Winners: Saudi Arabia 

runners up: Iran 

Top scorer: Taremi (Iran)

Aren't India half decent these days, can't see them being hammered.

45 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Aren't India half decent these days, can't see them being hammered.

I’d be surprised if it’s not 3 or 4 nil at least, India are the weakest team in the group and will do well to get any points. Syria will be there best chances of getting something.

On 13/01/2024 at 12:00, Aus Fox said:

Qatar kicked the tournament off with a 3-0 win.

Australia just kicked off against India - Souttar playing. 

What is the level of interest in Australia?

6 hours ago, The Blur said:

What is the level of interest in Australia?

At this stage very low, we have the Aus Open tennis on which is taking most of the media coverage.

Games are also 10:30 on, 1:30am and 3:30am so not really pulling any sort of audience that isn’t already really invested. It’s also not helped that the two Australian games so far have been terrible games, although 2 wins, but I wouldn’t show either to a neutral and expect them to get excited.

My other criticism of the tournament is the length of the tournament, realistically we’ve got maybe 8 teams capable of winning the tournament. There is no need for a last 16 round and 24 teams in the tournament. 
Some teams are awful, you could easily have had 16 teams qualify with 4 competitive groups and then straight into the quarter finals.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

At this stage very low, we have the Aus Open tennis on which is taking most of the media coverage.

Games are also 10:30 on, 1:30am and 3:30am so not really pulling any sort of audience that isn’t already really invested. It’s also not helped that the two Australian games so far have been terrible games, although 2 wins, but I wouldn’t show either to a neutral and expect them to get excited.

My other criticism of the tournament is the length of the tournament, realistically we’ve got maybe 8 teams capable of winning the tournament. There is no need for a last 16 round and 24 teams in the tournament. 
Some teams are awful, you could easily have had 16 teams qualify with 4 competitive groups and then straight into the quarter finals.

It's trying to involve a few more nations, w who will be harping on, on business deals..At  Projection level, even losses helps. Participation is the key word.. 

Aussies have an high spread culture in Sport... Other nations are not so fortunate.. 

30 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

It's trying to involve a few more nations, w who will be harping on, on business deals..At  Projection level, even losses helps. Participation is the key word.. 

Aussies have an high spread culture in Sport... Other nations are not so fortunate.. 

I see that, but it’s the same with the Euros, the World Cup and all other tournaments. More teams devalues the tournament, when it comes to the finals it should be the elite. Hong Kong for example are outside the worlds top 150 teams - they should not be participating in the finals of a major tournament. It makes for boring, predictable football where a team sits back and hopes to get a point.

Then finish 3rd in your group get 2 points and you can sneak into the knockout phases. 
It’s rewarding mediocrity for the sake of a few extra $$

South Korea down 2-1 against Jordan at halftime. I fancied Jordan this afternoon, but forgot to put a couple of quid on it. Outsiders for the tournament and a decent team, well organised and play some good football at times.

3 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

South Korea down 2-1 against Jordan at halftime. I fancied Jordan this afternoon, but forgot to put a couple of quid on it. Outsiders for the tournament and a decent team, well organised and play some good football at times.

Seen that Jordan were 7/1 to win as well 

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

I saw that this afternoon and thought it’s got to be worth a tenner - kicking myself now.

Hopefully South Korea tune it around so you don’t feel as bad 😂

• 2 weeks later...

I fancy Jordan to knock off South Korea, but should be 2 good semis: 

My money is on an Iran v Jordan final. South Korea have equalised in the 96th and 99th minute in their knock out games and gone on to win both in extra time. Surely can’t keep getting so lucky.

They also got a 91st minute equaliser last time they played Jordan in the group stages.

On the other hand Jordan themselves scored twice in time added on to knock out Iraq in the round of 16.

So this game is going right to the final kick.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2024 at 10:22, Aus Fox said:

I fancy Jordan to knock off South Korea, but should be 2 good semis: 

My money is on an Iran v Jordan final. South Korea have equalised in the 96th and 99th minute in their knock out games and gone on to win both in extra time. Surely can’t keep getting so lucky.

They also got a 91st minute equaliser last time they played Jordan in the group stages.

On the other hand Jordan themselves scored twice in time added on to knock out Iraq in the round of 16.

So this game is going right to the final kick.

Good prediction!