Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
City Fan

Joey signs for AZ Alkmaar?

Akinbiyi was never worth £5 million and I don't think Gudjonsson was ever worth £2.5-3 million but having said that he's certainly making an impression on big clubs, what with Betis signing him, then Villa and now PSV and AZ want him.

Akinbiyi certainly hasn't had clubs like that after him.

Just a vastly inexperinced Peter Taylor

I so hope Joey stays but I don't blame him for leaving.

The way I read the article was that he will be on a free in the summer, not now.

If he goes it will be in the summer, however he is allowed to sign a contract begining in June, today, If you get my meaning, he's allowed to sign for them anytime but will not be allowed to play for them until June. So thats probabley what they mean by him being close to agreeing terms. he's allowed to discuss he's next contract while he's under our contract as he's onlt got six months left. :unsure: confusing.

If he's just a very average championship player how come a team 3rd in the top division in their country (granted the dutch league isn't exactly world-class) and in the knock-out stages of the UEFA cup are interested in signing him?

Again, its down to opinion. Craig has worked with joey for over a year, if hes worth anything, he`ll ask for it, otherwise, whats the point in letting him go, unless joey doesnt wana play for us.

Again, its down to opinion. Craig has worked with joey for over a year, if hes worth anything, he`ll ask for it, otherwise, whats the point in letting him go, unless joey doesnt wana play for us.

He could well be on a Mickey Adams wage, higher than craig's budget would like, and is not prepared to take a pay cut to stay.

Izzet knew he was leaving also :thumbup:

Yeah but at least he didn't start talking to other clubs until he was sure Leicester could afford him, he even gave Leicester first refusal on a new contract if I remember rightly. I reckon thats pretty childish from Joey, firstly doing it in the first place, and second making it known. Talk about shoving it in someones face !

I think Joey wants to play for us, but at the same time he wants to play at a higher level and should be doing so. He might have his faults but he's better than the majority of footballers clouding the professional game and there will be fairly big clubs that want him. Leicester are in a tricky position because they probably can't afford to pay him the wages he's currently on and I doubt he'd take a pay-cut when the likes of PSV and AZ want him.

I would be sad to see him go as he's won me round big time this season with some fantastic performances, but James Wesolowski is about to be unleashed in to first team football and i'd want to see him as a first choice player anyway and Joey certainly wouldn't hang about on the bench next season.

Akinbiyi was never worth £5 million and I don't think Gudjonsson was ever worth £2.5-3 million but having said that he's certainly making an impression on big clubs, what with Betis signing him, then Villa and now PSV and AZ want him.

Akinbiyi certainly hasn't had clubs like that after him.

He didnt need to, he had taylor who thought £5M of him :( how many of us thought it was money reasonably well spent at the time, plenty.

With joey, you can only go on the last few years, and at Leicester, hes been a very average championship player. Its only in the last few months, that hes been any good.

He could well be on a Mickey Adams wage, higher than craig's budget would like, and is not prepared to take a pay cut to stay.

He signed a new deal in the summer.

He didnt need to, he had taylor who thought £5M of him :( how many of us thought it was money reasonably well spent at the time, plenty.

With joey, you can only go on the last few years, and at Leicester, hes been a very average championship player. Its only in the last few months, that hes been any good.

What are you talking about? It's ok to judge Akinbiyi on his whole career but not Joey?

The fact is both players weren't worth their pretty hefty transfer fee's but Gudjonsson is still attracting big clubs.

Once Akinbiyi was figured a flop he didn't tempt any 'big' clubs to ever come in for him and although he's doing well this season if his contract was up do you think someone as big as PSV or AZ would try and sign him? I think not.

Although that magnificant one cap he got for Nigeria must be raising a few eyebrows at the Bernabeu and Nou Camp.

He signed a new deal in the summer.

No he didn't.

He's on a hefty wage, which Adams gave him.

Yeah but at least he didn't start talking to other clubs until he was sure Leicester could afford him, he even gave Leicester first refusal on a new contract if I remember rightly. I reckon thats pretty childish from Joey, firstly doing it in the first place, and second making it known. Talk about shoving it in someones face !

What are you on about? every player coming to the end of their contract does this, he needs to ensure he's got a job. We've obviously not offerred him what he believes he can get elsewhere. Even players that stay will still look at other options in order to boost their contract negotiations. As for letting it be known well that could be the club that's after him trying to get their own supporters off their backs.

For people that don't know the facts there's an awful lot of unsubstantiated opinion flying around that's used as a means to slag people off.

What are you on about? every player coming to the end of their contract does this, he needs to ensure he's got a job. We've obviously not offerred him what he believes he can get elsewhere. Even players that stay will still look at other options in order to boost their contract negotiations. As for letting it be known well that could be the club that's after him trying to get their own supporters off their backs.

For people that don't know the facts there's an awful lot of unsubstantiated opinion flying around that's used as a means to slag people off.

Exactly! It doesn't happen that much in this country because often players who are coming to the end of their contract have either been given a new deal or aren't wanted by teams out of our domestic league. (teams in our domestic league cannot talk to Joey until the summer when his deal is about to expire)

What are you talking about? It's ok to judge Akinbiyi on his whole career but not Joey?

akinbadbi`s whole career was about 2 years...

The fact is both players weren't worth their pretty hefty transfer fee's but Gudjonsson is still attracting big clubs.

That means nothing if hes poor, ask taylor....

Once Akinbiyi was figured a flop he didn't tempt any 'big' clubs to ever come in for him and although he's doing well this season if his contract was up do you think someone as big as PSV or AZ would try and sign him?

It would make sense, hes better in his position.

So mickey signed him on a 2 year deal did he?

Leicester City signed Joey Gudjonsson just before the start of the 2004/05 season on a free transfer. The midfielder agreed a two-year deal after his contract expired in Spain

From the O/S under player profiles

akinbadbi`s whole career was about 2 years...

That means nothing if hes poor, ask taylor....

It would make sense, hes better in his position.

Akinbiyi's career was 2 year's? How can that be possible when he's been playing first team football since he was 18 and is still playing now at 31? 13 years.

If your saying it was 2 years when we signed him again your wrong. Where as Gudjonsson had only been briefly (2 or 3 years) when Betis paid £3 million for him.

So what's your point? You disturb me.

Akinbiyi's career was 2 year's? How can that be possible when he's been playing first team football since he was 18 and is still playing now at 31? 13 years.

He signed for us nearly 6 years ago. He`d been at wolves for a year, and before that at bristol c. It was only at these 2 clubs where he made his name as a striker, couple of years.

Exactly! It doesn't happen that much in this country because often players who are coming to the end of their contract have either been given a new deal or aren't wanted by teams out of our domestic league. (teams in our domestic league cannot talk to Joey until the summer when his deal is about to expire)

Thats a fair and correct point, and I have no issue with him chatting to other teams, but the only reason you leak a story such as this is so that the club you are playing for knows you are leaving and releases you from your contract, call me a cynic ...

He signed for us nearly 6 years ago. He`d been at wolves for a year, and before that at bristol c. It was only at these 2 clubs where he made his name as a striker, couple of years.

What about at Gillingham?? where he played under Peter Taylor

Bollocks is he just average, if he was just average the calibre of teams wouldn't be pursuing him. Both of those teams have played Champions League football within the past few years.

Come on we've watched him play for 18 months. Average Championship player when he is playing at his very best.

Archived