Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

Hume

Is it just me or have others been a little disappointed with Hume this season? To be bought for 700k, having scored more goals than Fryatt in league 1 last year, he hasn't really produced in my book. He works hard and chases defenders, but I think his return is only about 3 league goals isn't it? That's what Fryatt's got in 3 games. He missed a glorious chance yesterday, and really, for 700k he should have scored at least 10 by now. Against De Vries's 50k fee, he is hideously over-priced. I think next season will be make or break for him (providing we're still in the league) as he needs a minimum of 13 I'd say. Otherwise I'd consider him a bit of a failure for the money we paid for him.

I still think Hume will be a good player for us, he's not had the same impact as Fryatt, that's true, but that's more to do with Fryatt being a very good player than Hume being a bad one. He's got the skill (although perhaps not as much as some make out), he's got the pace and he's got the passion and commitment. The arrival of Fryatt seems to have put him down in some people's opinions, but remember Hume is only 22 - a couple of years ago I would never have imagined we'd have a player like him in our team (I remember when people were excited by the signing of Brooker, slating him when he played and then saying how we should give him some time as he was only young etc - he was 27 and the youngest player in our team, now he'd be one of the oldest). It isn't his fault how much money was spent on him (500k btw, not 750k yet). It takes some strikers longer to adapt that others, next season - hopefully in the Championship - I think he'll get a lot more goals, the amount he has now isn't too bad, 4 in 14 starts - one ever 3.5 starts, for a young player making a step up in leagues.

i think you are being very harsh on hume.

Levein never gave him a continued run in the starting line up, he was in one week, out the next. give him time for god's sake, he's an extremely talented player, perhaps the most talented in the side in terms of natural skill. he's got many great years ahead of him, just lay off him.

Is it just me or have others been a little disappointed with Hume this season? To be bought for 700k, having scored more goals than Fryatt in league 1 last year, he hasn't really produced in my book. He works hard and chases defenders, but I think his return is only about 3 league goals isn't it? That's what Fryatt's got in 3 games. He missed a glorious chance yesterday, and really, for 700k he should have scored at least 10 by now. Against De Vries's 50k fee, he is hideously over-priced. I think next season will be make or break for him (providing we're still in the league) as he needs a minimum of 13 I'd say. Otherwise I'd consider him a bit of a failure for the money we paid for him.

Yes he scored more then Fryatt... only because he played about twice the amount of games.

Hume is worth every **** penny. He's a good finisher as seen away at Derby and at home to Sheffield Utd. He runs his bollocks off , works so hard for the team and he's one of those players that would die for the cause.

Excellent player and we're lucky to have him. Hume is'nt an out and out striker whereas Fryatt is , but him and Hume up top together have managed 4 goals in 2 games so im happy thus far :)

You have to remember he isnt an out and out striker. He is more of a attacking midfielder and creates chances.

Also a lot of people on this site build him up to be Thierry Henry or something :P

I agree, I had hoped he would score quite a few but I appreciate that he isn't necessarily the type of striker that Fryatt is. Yet I'm still not completely convinced by him, although he is preferable to Elvis and he had a great finish against Crewe.

He didn't have the best game on Saturday but he won things in the air that de Vries couldn't. I think he'd be better playing nearer to Fryatt so they link up better. Keep him in the team for a good run then we'll see what he can do.Still think we need someone on right MF instead of Maybury to service the strikers.

He worked hard on Saturday, but I didn't think he was particularly effective. I thought he was a little too deep, leaving Fryatt isolated at times. Part of it is down to the service, and Hume didn't receive much ball to feet. His first touch is a little dodgy as well.

Personally I think Levein didn't do him any favours by leaving him out. I think he still seems to be a bit short of match fitness, but to start saying he isn't good is wrong. I think if he gets a decent run in the team then we will start to see the best in him. I would agree that he isn't an out-and-out striker like Fryatt, I kinda see him more in the Teddy Sheringham type of role as he is a creative player and creates good chances for others.

You have to remember he isnt an out and out striker. He is more of a attacking midfielder and creates chances.

Also a lot of people on this site build him up to be Thierry Henry or something :P

Spot on!

If he gets 10 or 12 goals next year then I'll be happy, he'll also set up a lot more and he'll also pull players out of position giving Fryatt space in the box!

He just needs a goal. He hasn't scored for 2 months and it's showing. He'll always battle and that's all you can ask from a player who's abit out of sorts. I think he compliments Fryatt well and Matty has even said so. He's still very young, but he has that aura about him where he can change a match in an instant and i'm far from disappointed in him. He's never been prolific other than a decent 16 goals one season for Tranmere but I think he is capable of scoring goals for us.

Now we have a natural finisher in Fryatt, Hume is seen as less essential but I think otherwise. Now it will ease the pressure on him and he can concentrate on giving 110% for the team and linking up well with a future England striker Sir Matty Fryatt.

He just needs a goal. He hasn't scored for 2 months and it's showing. He'll always battle and that's all you can ask from a player who's abit out of sorts. I think he compliments Fryatt well and Matty has even said so. He's still very young, but he has that aura about him where he can change a match in an instant and i'm far from disappointed in him. He's never been prolific other than a decent 16 goals one season for Tranmere but I think he is capable of scoring goals for us.

Now we have a natural finisher in Fryatt, Hume is seen as less essential but I think otherwise. Now it will ease the pressure on him and he can concentrate on giving 110% for the team and linking up well with a future England striker Sir Matty Fryatt.

O'Grady seems to have come on a lot and is now pushing for a 1st team start (he's quick, strong and his play is intelligent (slows the game down when needed and draws fouls from defenders)), in the future could we see Hume as a player in the hole behind Fryatt and O'Grady? the midfield isn't strong enough at the moment for this but with some decent additions (a quality RM player) could this be the future?

OK so maybe he isnt a prolific goalscorer yet. On Saturday though he ran and chased and harried constantly for the 75 mins he was on the pitch. He has presence and I think he is better at winning chased balls than Fryatt. I would still play him, but there were too many occasions where we were playing high balls to Hume, and he isnt big, so you can't blaming for not blazing them into the top corner.

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuume

same here, looks much better

Well, I wouldn't have said that a month ago but now that Dublin and MDV have moved on, Fryatt has moved in and O'Grady is making first team appearances, things certainly are looking better.

[Hume is industrious, willing, and has good control. he gets through more work in 30 minutes than MDV did in 90. He plays his part in the team and will get goals. TBH As long as someone is banging them in I don't give a stuff who is scoring.

Archived