Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

STICK YER MIKE NEWELL UP YER ARSE

Well I can say I am honestly shocked from someone who says he has a problem with corruption in football, then basically uses us to get a better deal at Luton .... The board were obviously very interested in him, as he got a second interview....

I liked to stick my fist in his face is that allowed ??

To expand upon my answer. It seems clear to me that Newell, like the other managers we've been linked with, has been using us to get a better deal as his current club. Forget about the fact that some people felt a connection with him as he played for us once, I feel he's treated us quite badly, but its only what to expect from most football people I suppose. The things he's apparently said for turning us down make no sense (he thought it rude not to talk to us - twice? He isn't sure about our league position - why interview at all then? etc.) he's wasted our time and probably alienated other managers who we might want to look at (either they'll think 'oh I'm not first choice I don't want to go' or 'Newell turned them down, there must be something wrong there'). I think he'll regret it in the end, the Luton chairman has made promises before and not kept them and if we stay up this season I think we'll do a lot better next season - at the moment we've got better resources than Luton. I don't mean to sound like some whinging Forest fan 'oh we're a bigger club than you' kind of thing but I do feel that Newell has shown either a nasty streak or a lack of ambition in his decision.

Lets hope the board don't panic now, they still need to make a fairly quick decision. I imagine they have some other back-up options but its going to take time to interview that we don't really have. Stick with Kelly.

Well I can say I am honestly shocked from someone who says he has a problem with corruption in football, then basically uses us to get a better deal at Luton .... The board were obviously very interested in him, as he got a second interview....

hes already had 2 interviews!!!

He's not done anything wrong or corrupt though has he, well apart from turning down the better long term option but that is his perogative.

He's not done anything wrong or corrupt though has he, well apart from turning down the better long term option but that is his perogative.

Yeah I know, I'm just a tad peaved that he's turned us down .... I just sort of hoped we had our man.. but sadly not

I agree with Louise that he has used us for his own benefit. Before even coming for an interview, he would have know if he wanted the job or not, so to waste so much of our time, when frankly before our last 2 wins we were in the SH1T is a disgrace. Everyone knows he isn't hapy at Luton, so obviously some kind of money or contract has been thrown his way by the Luton board helped by Newells neglect to dismiss us as a club he would want to go to. Frankly he has really pi55ed me off, if he had any dignity he would have ruled himself out as soon as he was speculated to come here as he knew if he wanted to come or not.

I only hope the board don't panic and give it to Holloway or someone else merely because we haven't got who we wanted, stick with Kelly, they guy speaks sense and knos what he is doing.

I hope come the end of this season or the end of next Luton are either in the sh1t or we are above them in the league so we can laugh all the way to our 32,500 capacity stadium.

I agree with Louise that he has used us for his own benefit. Before even coming for an interview, he would have know if he wanted the job or not, so to waste so much of our time, when frankly before our last 2 wins we were in the SH1T is a disgrace. Everyone knows he isn't hapy at Luton, so obviously some kind of money or contract has been thrown his way by the Luton board helped by Newells neglect to dismiss us as a club he would want to go to. Frankly he has really pi55ed me off, if he had any dignity he would have ruled himself out as soon as he was speculated to come here as he knew if he wanted to come or not.

I only hope the board don't panic and give it to Holloway or someone else merely because we haven't got who we wanted, stick with Kelly, they guy speaks sense and knos what he is doing.

I hope come the end of this season or the end of next Luton are either in the sh1t or we are above them in the league so we can laugh all the way to our 32,500 capacity stadium.

Now you don't know that it's all speculation, I'm sure he's tried to get improvements at Luton and probably failed. He would have had no real idea that they would improve their terms. I doubt he's different to anyone else applying for a job becausse they've been refused a pay rise. It then suddenly appears on the table when you look like you're leaving. I'm sure he weighed up the pros and cons from a professional and personal perspective, remember he's got 5 young children to think about before making a decision.

I'm disappointed but I think it says more about our precarious position than it does about Newell, we shouldn't under estimate how difficult it's going to be to get someone decent in.

Now you don't know that it's all speculation, I'm sure he's tried to get improvements at Luton and probably failed. He would have had no real idea that they would improve their terms. I doubt he's different to anyone else applying for a job becausse they've been refused a pay rise. It then suddenly appears on the table when you look like you're leaving. I'm sure he weighed up the pros and cons from a professional and personal perspective, remember he's got 5 young children to think about before making a decision.

I'm disappointed but I think it says more about our precarious position than it does about Newell, we shouldn't under estimate how difficult it's going to be to get someone decent in.

Yeah it is starting to hit home, we have very little money, and we are starting to get a bit of a rep for sacking managers if the results are not instant. I am not surprised that it now getting harder for us to find a new manager, one option is to go to a lower league, at least we are a big club in the eyes of lower division clubs ?

Yeah it is starting to hit home, we have very little money, and we are starting to get a bit of a rep for sacking managers if the results are not instant. I am not surprised that it now getting harder for us to find a new manager, one option is to go to a lower league, at least we are a big club in the eyes of lower division clubs ?

We've sacked one manager, one resigned, one was a ****in retard and the other was sacked because of crimes that should have required a prison sentance.

I do agree that's it's a poisoned chalice though, as is most managers jobs of a club that experienced good times a few years ago and are now struggling to repeat the success which the fans expect.

But our precarious position hasn't exactly been something hidden. We've been down the bottom of the table for the majority of the season, our win against QPR came across to presenters of the talk shows as unbelieveable and they laughed on TALKSPORT when they heard we beat QPR, not asking how we'd won, but how QPR had lost. It isn't something Newell can say has suddenly happened just before he was about to sign for the club.

But the thing is, didn't everyone know this already?

How many times on the post-levein threads did people keep saying, we can't have so and so, we are not a huge club, people calling for MON etc was so laughable. I even said on the first Newell thread that there is no way we'll get him, no way would he leave a half decent Luton team for our (then) pathetic team. If people can only start saying NOW that we cannot attract big managers, then god what dodgy spectacles have these people been wearing for the last few weeks?

But the thing is, didn't everyone know this already?

How many times on the post-levein threads did people keep saying, we can't have so and so, we are not a huge club, people calling for MON etc was so laughable. I even said on the first Newell thread that there is no way we'll get him, no way would he leave a half decent Luton team for our (then) pathetic team. If people can only start saying NOW that we cannot attract big managers, then god what dodgy spectacles have these people been wearing for the last few weeks?

I agree.

But our precarious position hasn't exactly been something hidden. We've been down the bottom of the table for the majority of the season, our win against QPR came across to presenters of the talk shows as unbelieveable and they laughed on TALKSPORT when they heard we beat QPR, not asking how we'd won, but how QPR had lost. It isn't something Newell can say has suddenly happened just before he was about to sign for the club.

It hasn't but until he's been through an interview, assuming he has he wont know the full story of our finances, his managment team etc, etc, they may have said you need to keep Kelly or lose £100k off next years budget, who knows? So maybe he didn't like what he heard maybe he thought hang on Luton will have more money than that next season - frankly we don't know the true financial status of our club, so there's no reason to believe he would have prior to any interview.

It hasn't but until he's been through an interview, assuming he has he wont know the full story of our finances, his managment team etc, etc, they may have said you need to keep Kelly or lose £100k off next years budget, who knows? So maybe he didn't like what he heard maybe he thought hang on Luton will have more money than that next season - frankly we don't know the true financial status of our club, so there's no reason to believe he would have prior to any interview.

In which case Newell should have set his stall in the first interview, let the board know where he stands, what he wants etc or to find out what conditions he was under. I don't think i'd be too happy if i was a Luton fan either, not exactly action of a committed man is it. Tactically and managerially his attributes are higly ranked, but what with the Agents stuff and this sort of dealings i'm starting to see reasons why Newell shouldn't have come here. Not to say i wouldn't have wanted him to come, i would have been delighted had he signed, but the guy seems to be playing around for his own benefit. Can you blame him? no probably not, in the same position i'd take the best offer on the table financially, but as a fan it aint half frustrating.

Archived