Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Slipped through the Net?

Former City youth player chased by Premiership clubs

12.02.2006 - The Cunning Fox

Former City youth player Lee Tomlin, now at Rushden & Diamonds, is hot property at the moment. He became the youngest player ever to play a first team game when he made his debut against Wycombe in October 2005.

The 17 year old player is at the moment a target for Chelsea and Man Utd. Rushden are at the moment in a very difficult position down at the bottom of division 2.

Tomlin has made the first team at Rushden, and his pace and eye for a goal has made bigger clubs interested. How Leicester City could release this youngster is another question !

Former City youth player Lee Tomlin, now at Rushden & Diamonds, is hot property at the moment. He became the youngest player ever to play a first team game when he made his debut against Wycombe in October 2005.

The 17 year old player is at the moment a target for Chelsea and Man Utd. Rushden are at the moment in a very difficult position down at the bottom of division 2.

Tomlin has made the first team at Rushden, and his pace and eye for a goal has made bigger clubs interested. How Leicester City could release this youngster is another question !

if they sign him, he'll go straight back to academe football, its not like they want him in the team, teams like manure and £helski just want to buy every player they can, to stop the other 1 getting him 1st

Blame Craig Levein for that I'd say :mad:

They signed him in January 2005. Just a few months after Craig arrived, when he didn't even realise how good Weso was back then. No use blaming Craig, he's done more for the future of this club than the past 3 managers we've had have.

They signed him in January 2005. Just a few months after Craig arrived, when he didn't even realise how good Weso was back then. No use blaming Craig, he's done more for the future of this club than the past 3 managers we've had have.

I'd agree with that if he hadn't taken us to the brink of relegation.

You have to appreciate that the present affects the future. Levein was **** shite in the present and merely decent for the future. At a club like this that's not good enough. Hope he enjoys the money he's made out of us... **** cockbadger.

I'd agree with that if he hadn't taken us to the brink of relegation.

You have to appreciate that the present affects the future. Levein was **** shite in the present and merely decent for the future. At a club like this that's not good enough. Hope he enjoys the money he's made out of us... **** cockbadger.

I think you'll find that at some time during their careers, most Leicester managers have taken us to the brink of relegation......

He went to my school, he's in the year above. I've seen him play a few times and even played with him in training games a few years back. When i saw him play, i knew he was good, but there were better players in the year above than him.

Having said this, he must have improved if Chelsea and Man Yoo are after him. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

He's still not scored a goal for Rushden yet but he's spending the week training with Liverpool http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...1132013,00.html

Tomlin gets chance to impress Reds

Rushden & Diamonds striker Lee Tomlin is to spend this week training with Liverpool, his assistant manager Geoff Harrop has confirmed.

The 17-year-old has been a revelation at Nene Park since making the step up from the youth academy to the first-team squad last October.

Just three of Tomlin's 18 appearances for the relegation-threatened League Two strugglers have been starts but his performances coming off the bench have been enough to catch the eye of the Premiership side.

Tomlin will spend five days with the Reds at their Melwood training ground and Harrop is hopeful of a big-money move for the player.

"We wouldn't send him to Liverpool if we didn't think there was the possibility of a deal being struck somewhere down the line," he said.

"They don't have time to have a look at Lee just for the sake of it - and neither do we.

"But one thing I would say to Rafael Benitez is get ready to get your cheque book out because everyone at the club from the youth development staff to (manager) Barry Hunter have spent a lot of time and effort working very hard with him over the last couple of years.

"He's a goalscorer, there's no doubt about that. He's sharp in the box and he gets into the right positions, he has great awareness and this is a good opportunity for him to show that at the highest level.

"He'll enjoy himself at Liverpool and I'm sure he'll come back with ideas about how he's going to be the next Robbie Fowler or Michael Owen."

to be fair, there are many reasons why young players are released. it may be down to domestic, personal or attitude reasons.

i know a lad who played for the academy under 14s. was an exceptional player even by that level. the club even had him playing for the under 16s on occasions. he scored 29 goals last seaosn and was blazing them away this one too.

unfortunately, for circumstances not under the clubs control, he had to move to london. the club did the decent thing, realising it wasnt practical for a 14 year old lad to travel to leicester 4 times a week and fixed him up with a deal at west ham. he may bang in the goals against the city in the future but sometimes releasing players maybe the best thing for them.

to be fair, there are many reasons why young players are released. it may be down to domestic, personal or attitude reasons.

i know a lad who played for the academy under 14s. was an exceptional player even by that level. the club even had him playing for the under 16s on occasions. he scored 29 goals last seaosn and was blazing them away this one too.

unfortunately, for circumstances not under the clubs control, he had to move to london. the club did the decent thing, realising it wasnt practical for a 14 year old lad to travel to leicester 4 times a week and fixed him up with a deal at west ham. he may bang in the goals against the city in the future but sometimes releasing players maybe the best thing for them.

I'm sure they agree some kind of settlement that a percentage of future sales will go back to them..

Yeh i can see your point but this guy is only at rushden on diamonds? its not that far away?

He still lives in Leicester. As i said i go to the school he left last year and i know a few of his friends.

He was one to skive school and smoke, so maybe thats why City released him :rolleyes:

He still lives in Leicester. As i said i go to the school he left last year and i know a few of his friends.

He was one to skive school and smoke, so maybe thats why City released him :rolleyes:

Yes, I can imagine the likes of George Best, Frank Worthington, Steve Walsh, Maradona et al being real paragons of virtue at school. :whistle:

I guess they decided he wasn't going to be that good, and I imagine they were right.

Archived