Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sparky

ATMOSPHERE AT WALKERS

The main reason for the lack of atmosphere is because the when the club moved ground they did everything they could to dilute the more vocal elements in the old kop (whether intentional or not they couldn't have got it more wrong). Every area in the ground now is now marketed as a family friendly safe environment, and anyone drunk, standing, shouting, swearing etc. will at the least get funny looks from kids and families around them, and most probably eventually get warned and then removed by the stewards. What's happened is that most of the more vocal element (like in the old Filbert St Kop) just don't bother going anymore, because they can't all be amongst thousands of like minded fans and have a good laugh with their mates standing and singing. Instead they have to sit down and watch the game, surrounded by fidgeting kids and families who'll be offended by any bad language and excessive shouting. I'd estimate we've lost several thousand Filbert St regulars due to this and the high ticket prices.

There's no point in selecting people trying to start songs off in the kop, because the people who now sit in the kop are just not the sort of people that will join in.

What the club should do is have 3/4 of the ground as it is now i.e. no swearing, standing etc. and then have one section which is adult prices only, higher tolerence to swearing, shouting, occasional standing. This will mean there's an area where the more vocal fans can go, who want to have a few pre-match pints then go to let off some steam after a hard week at work. The supporters who don't like being in this environment will know not to go there, but will still have the majority of the ground to go in. Everyone benefits because the hardcore fans have their section, and the more easily offended fans in other areas are not troubled by people standing in front, or swearing around them. Then the different stands in the ground will have their own unique identity, unlike now, where the kop is just like the family end, i.e. full of kids, but with less empty seats. Everyone will benefit because there'll be a noisy section of Leicester fans which will be a catalyst for the rest of the ground, hence a much improved atmosphere.

Everyone needs to except that the Kop is never going to be a singing area. It's where all the double decker upper tier people migrated to. In the last 2 years the only times I've heard the Kop from L are Wolves last season and the last 5 mins against Leeds this season. It's normally a wall of silence, even the family end sings more! I went there against Wolves a few weeks ago and it was dead in there (I was on the border of F1 and E3, 3/4 of the way back). There's a much better atmosphere usually in L.

The best idea now would be to maybe shift the away area around to include block N (which can already facilitate away fans for cup games so no ground alterations required), extend block L into the first block of the away section, and encourage that as the 'adult' area. i.e. L and the first block into what is now the away fans, and maybe block K too, essentially a corner near the away fans. They should reduce the West Stand prices to sensible levels enable people in K and L to move across to equivalent seats (which are always unused due to rip off prices) if they don't want to be in the middle of a vocal area (as there's lots of OAPs in L and K) to accomodate the fans moving from the Kop, and to try and recreate the old Filbert Street Kop atmosphere.

To answer some of the other comments below:

- The Kop and family will not swap ends because the club asked the fans and they voted against it (although I think the club fixed the results).

- The away fans will never be moved to the other end of the east Stand because the police and Safety Advisory Group won't allow it due to access to the away fans buses. Shame because this would be perfect.

- The scooter was thrown by Inter Milan fans from the middle tier behind the goal to the lower tier, onto an unused block next to the away fans block, as a 'warning'. Can't remeber who the away team was.

- They club will never allow flares into the ground, they're against health and safety regulations, and they won't allow flags with poles attached.

- A wining team would improve the atmopshere, but in many games in our promotion season the stadium was very quiet. The best way of getting some noise is to encourage the noisy people to start coming again, and then ensuring they can all group together in the same part of the ground!

:clap2: :yesyes::yesyes:

10/10

Lack of atmosphere is not just unique to the Walkers, LCFC or even the new stadiums (although I don't believe these help).

It's just how football as a whole is these days compared to days of old due to the change of fanbase in the past 10 years.

Some of the poorest atmosphere's I have encounted this season have been at traditional grounds - Turf Moor, Deepdale & Portman Road spring to mind

unreserved seating in the kop, this would make people get in there earlier. I know this has bee n rejected in the past but i think the club should look atit again!!
They did, it was one of the questions on the fans questionnaire, where the majority of respondents chose to keep reserved seating.

ok, i can not argue with that, but i still think making people go to their seats earlier and being able to sit with like minded people who want to sing would be better, what about a compromise, say blocks F1 and F2 were unreserved???

The main reason for the lack of atmosphere is because the when the club moved ground they did everything they could to dilute the more vocal elements in the old kop (whether intentional or not they couldn't have got it more wrong). Every area in the ground now is now marketed as a family friendly safe environment, and anyone drunk, standing, shouting, swearing etc. will at the least get funny looks from kids and families around them, and most probably eventually get warned and then removed by the stewards. What's happened is that most of the more vocal element (like in the old Filbert St Kop) just don't bother going anymore, because they can't all be amongst thousands of like minded fans and have a good laugh with their mates standing and singing. Instead they have to sit down and watch the game, surrounded by fidgeting kids and families who'll be offended by any bad language and excessive shouting. I'd estimate we've lost several thousand Filbert St regulars due to this and the high ticket prices.

There's no point in selecting people trying to start songs off in the kop, because the people who now sit in the kop are just not the sort of people that will join in.

What the club should do is have 3/4 of the ground as it is now i.e. no swearing, standing etc. and then have one section which is adult prices only, higher tolerence to swearing, shouting, occasional standing. This will mean there's an area where the more vocal fans can go, who want to have a few pre-match pints then go to let off some steam after a hard week at work. The supporters who don't like being in this environment will know not to go there, but will still have the majority of the ground to go in. Everyone benefits because the hardcore fans have their section, and the more easily offended fans in other areas are not troubled by people standing in front, or swearing around them. Then the different stands in the ground will have their own unique identity, unlike now, where the kop is just like the family end, i.e. full of kids, but with less empty seats. Everyone will benefit because there'll be a noisy section of Leicester fans which will be a catalyst for the rest of the ground, hence a much improved atmosphere.

Everyone needs to except that the Kop is never going to be a singing area. It's where all the double decker upper tier people migrated to. In the last 2 years the only times I've heard the Kop from L are Wolves last season and the last 5 mins against Leeds this season. It's normally a wall of silence, even the family end sings more! I went there against Wolves a few weeks ago and it was dead in there (I was on the border of F1 and E3, 3/4 of the way back). There's a much better atmosphere usually in L.

The best idea now would be to maybe shift the away area around to include block N (which can already facilitate away fans for cup games so no ground alterations required), extend block L into the first block of the away section, and encourage that as the 'adult' area. i.e. L and the first block into what is now the away fans, and maybe block K too, essentially a corner near the away fans. They should reduce the West Stand prices to sensible levels enable people in K and L to move across to equivalent seats (which are always unused due to rip off prices) if they don't want to be in the middle of a vocal area (as there's lots of OAPs in L and K) to accomodate the fans moving from the Kop, and to try and recreate the old Filbert Street Kop atmosphere.

- The Kop and family will not swap ends because the club asked the fans and they voted against it (although I think the club fixed the results).

- The away fans will never be moved to the other end of the east Stand because the police and Safety Advisory Group won't allow it due to access to the away fans buses. Shame because this would be perfect.

- The scooter was thrown by Inter Milan fans from the middle tier behind the goal to the lower tier, onto an unused block next to the away fans block, as a 'warning'. Can't remeber who the away team was.

- They club will never allow flares into the ground, they're against health and safety regulations, and they won't allow flags with poles attached.

- A wining team would improve the atmopshere, but in many games in our promotion season the stadium was very quiet. The best way of getting some noise is to encourage the noisy people to start coming again, and then ensuring they can all group together in the same part of the ground!

:clap: Well put, agree with you on a whole :thumbup:

ok, i can not argue with that, but i still think making people go to their seats earlier and being able to sit with like minded people who want to sing would be better, what about a compromise, say blocks F1 and F2 were unreserved???
It's not practical. You'd need an area that could be segregated, otherwise what's to stop someone buying a ticket for E1, then moving to F1 to sit with his mates, then leaving someone with a legitimate ticket for F1 without a seat. It's far too complicated, they can't sort out things as they are now!

It's not practical. You'd need an area that could be segregated, otherwise what's to stop someone buying a ticket for E1, then moving to F1 to sit with his mates, then leaving someone with a legitimate ticket for F1 without a seat. It's far too complicated, they can't sort out things as they are now!

Im sorry but i disagree, it just depends on how much effort the club is willing to put in. If they stated when the season tickets went on sale that theese 2 areas would be unreserved seating and for people who like to be vocal then everyone who went in there would know what to expect. as for people buying tickets in other blocks that could be stopped easily by checking tickets at the bottom of the stairs, it is just an idea and im am not saying it should be blocks F1 and F2, i was just using them as an example.

Got to agree with Lisa on this one. If the unreserved area sells out, people who want to go there will buy tickets in the adjacent block, but get there early, go past the stewards as if going to their seat, but then just continue down the row to the next block. People with a valid ticket could turn up 10 mins to kick off and find there's no seats left. Only way to stop it would be to install a fence about 6 feet high and man it with stewards. If the club and fans wanted it though, it could be done, but they don't!

Someone E-Mail the above post to Tim Davies!

SPOT ON and points i have also been making since we moved, I Went in Pen 2 the L1 all my life and we all knew they wouldnt let us stand ect in the new "home". ITS A JOKE people who say sing if you want, dont if you dont have no clue We need a MAIN END next to away fans, i tell you what its like now for the people who used to generate this clubs atmosphere(L1) its like when we used to go to Wembley and the people behind you used to moan when you were standing up singing!! Walkers reminds me of that.

This REALLY does need sorting out for next season THE LUNATIC FRINGE NEED SUPPORT FROM THESE FANS FORUMS who seem to represent the Leicester fan who took a wrong turn and should be down the Tigers.

Football has gone down the road of OTT political correctness there is no reason why we cant have the away fans next to the home end for the good of EVERYONE.

Someone E-Mail the above post to Tim Davies!

SPOT ON and points i have also been making since we moved, I Went in Pen 2 the L1 all my life and we all knew they wouldnt let us stand ect in the new "home". ITS A JOKE people who say sing if you want, dont if you dont have no clue We need a MAIN END next to away fans, i tell you what its like now for the people who used to generate this clubs atmosphere(L1) its like when we used to go to Wembley and the people behind you used to moan when you were standing up singing!! Walkers reminds me of that.

This REALLY does need sorting out for next season THE LUNATIC FRINGE NEED SUPPORT FROM THESE FANS FORUMS who seem to represent the Leicester fan who took a wrong turn and should be down the Tigers.

Football has gone down the road of OTT political correctness there is no reason why we cant have the away fans next to the home end for the good of EVERYONE.

I've already stated, the club issued a questionnaire. It was advertised on the website, it was linked on forums like this one, and I was told it was in the Mockery. It was (albeit inconsistently) distributed at two games. However, the responses received showed the majority of respondents did not want to introduce unreserved seats and not move the Kop next to the away fans. It's fair to assume from that a) most fans didn't feel strongly enough to respond, and b) those who do want the above are in the minority.

I've already stated, the club issued a questionnaire. It was advertised on the website, it was linked on forums like this one, and I was told it was in the Mockery. It was (albeit inconsistently) distributed at two games. However, the responses received showed the majority of respondents did not want to introduce unreserved seats and not move the Kop next to the away fans. It's fair to assume from that a) most fans didn't feel strongly enough to respond, and b) those who do want the above are in the minority.

fudged result i say :ph34r::whistle: i dont believe it

fudged result i say :ph34r::whistle: i dont believe it

I wouldn't say it was fudged but it was certainly weighted in favour of a particular result. Especially as. it would seem everyone got the opportunity to vote whether it affected them or not.

Smoking - most people don't smoke so the result there is obvious, one could ask why were the Family Stand allowed to influence the vote when their section is already non-smoking. (note I don't smoke)

As for moving the Kop / Unreserved seating well it's obvious most people wont want to.

The vast majority of the 20k do not want unreserved seating, the vote was pointless. Like wise most don't want to move the Kop, why would the West Stand vote for a change. I could go on.

If you asked the 20K that attend if they would like to have baguettes for sale the majority would say no because they either don't eat or prefer a Hot pie or something, but that is not a justification for not having them - if they could sell a 1000 and make a profit is the bottom line.

One could also ask why it was necessary to have a card vote for the smoking when they had a 70% against in the questionnaire, presumably to confirm the vote but did not have card vote for the other subjects.

What they should be doing is asking the question what are the benefits of moving the Kop and unreserved seating for the club and it's customers?

Would they attract more or less fans longer term?

Would it improve results through an improved atmosphere?

etc, etc.

I wouldn't say it was fudged but it was certainly weighted in favour of a particular result. Especially as. it would seem everyone got the opportunity to vote whether it affected them or not.

Smoking - most people don't smoke so the result there is obvious, one could ask why were the Family Stand allowed to influence the vote when their section is already non-smoking. (note I don't smoke)

As for moving the Kop / Unreserved seating well it's obvious most people wont want to.

The vast majority of the 20k do not want unreserved seating, the vote was pointless. Like wise most don't want to move the Kop, why would the West Stand vote for a change. I could go on.

If you asked the 20K that attend if they would like to have baguettes for sale the majority would say no because they either don't eat or prefer a Hot pie or something, but that is not a justification for not having them - if they could sell a 1000 and make a profit is the bottom line.

One could also ask why it was necessary to have a card vote for the smoking when they had a 70% against in the questionnaire, presumably to confirm the vote but did not have card vote for the other subjects.

What they should be doing is asking the question what are the benefits of moving the Kop and unreserved seating for the club and it's customers?

Would they attract more or less fans longer term?

Would it improve results through an improved atmosphere?

etc, etc.

They want to be seen to be doing what the fans want, after a lot of criticism in the past that the fans are never consulted etc. The only way to do this is to canvas opinion via things like questionnaires.

I don't think they have the bottle to turn around and say "ok let's switch the Kop" or "let's have unreserved seating". From the reaction in the FCC meetings and at open meetings, it is clear that most fans do not want either. The reasons given by people who don't want a change are enough for them, and the way it looks is that by making these changes to please the minority would create PR problems with the majority, and it's not a risk worth taking. They've had the questionnaire, which did ask people where they sat so could limit it to people in the South Stand only, found out that most didn't want a change, so will leave it there.

There's nothing to stop fans from unofficially congregating in certain areas; it happens elsewhere. These other clubs have had the benefit of being in their stadia much longer than we have, however. If you ask me, people are doing this in the Kop, albeit slowly. There's a section at the back, and as the seasons go by, more people will move their ST's etc to this location, if the atmosphere means that much to them.

Most people rejected the Kop switch because, as I've mentioned, the people who now sit at either end are not the type that want to be near the away fans, standing and singing. They've got seats they are happy with, near their friends and it's an inconvenience to them to move. What they should be doing is asking the thousands who used to be regulars who now don't bother coming anymore. Like someone said, why ask the already non-smoking Family End if smoking should be banned in the rest of the ground. How does someone smoking 100 yards away in open air affect them? I'm a not smoker but I think a complete ban is another mistake. There's absolutely no reason why there should not be one section for smokers, all they're doing is alienating another minority.

The only option now is for the club to encourage an area where the more vocal fans can go, and there's no point trying to make it the Kop end like they tried when we moved ground, because people want to be where they can hear the away fans and vice versa. I spent 2 years in the new Kop so I'm not just guessing what it's like because I'm now in the East Stand. The only option is L and K, and ideally by shunting the away fans around a bit to utilise to the hardly used Block N, we could have an extra corner block for Leicester fans also. The only people inconvenienced are a few fans in L and K that don't want to be amongst the noisier fans, and they should be offered an equivelent seat in the West Stand (after all it's virtually empty every game). I'm sure these are ex-Carling Stand people who would have been in the West Stand anyway if it wasn't for the obscene prices.

The questionnaire results rule out anything radical, but the club need to do something. I spoke to Tim Davies at the stewards meeting a few months back and he seemingly agreed, but I don't anything will be done to improve things. There's 2 problems, firstly the people currently running the club doesn't understand football culture at all, they're aiming towards an ideal of every area of the ground being a lovely friendly family environment, the whole concept of which is many peoples nemesis. They don't realise it's about more than just entertainment, and that the more they push for their sanitised environment, the more it puts people off. Secondly, the club are too weak to stand up to the police and Safety Advisory Group who are both unreasonably strict compared with the rest of the country. These people are supposed to serve the public, not the other way around, and it's about time the club started asking for justification of their actions. How many times do you see people dragged out L1 for doing hardly anything?

Give the people that want to make some noise a place in the ground, and the crowds will grow. Continue to suppress them and crowds will drop. It's as simple as that. I've been to almost every home game since the mid 80's when I was about 15, and I'm seriously considering not bothering any more. It's nothing to do with results, or style of football. It's because going to the football now is just boring. If I want to sit down, shut up and watch a game of football, I can do that on TV.

Lisa, if you're reading this, I believe you're in some sort of fans consultancy group or forum or whatever. Maybe you can raise some of these ideas next time there's a meeting? Assuming you don't disagree of course.

By the way, I emailed Tim Davies a few weeks ago with more or less the same comments I've written on here in my previous post. He said he had read it and will get back to me. He hasn't but at least he's read it so hopefully it'll make him think about things.

the people currently running the club doesn't understand football culture at all, they're aiming towards an ideal of every area of the ground being a lovely friendly family environment, the whole concept of which is many peoples nemesis. They don't realise it's about more than just entertainment, and that the more they push for their sanitised environment, the more it puts people off.

Give the people that want to make some noise a place in the ground, and the crowds will grow. Continue to suppress them and crowds will drop. It's as simple as that.

Scarcely. The club knows full well that increasing attendances has meant, and will continue to mean, getting a wider range of people in, be it women, children, older people or ethnic minorities. 'Sanitised' the ground may be, but they know that broadens the appeal. They have no fookin desire whatsoever to introduce a traditional football club atmosphere - the atmosphere they want is completely non-confrontational: a bit of chanting "Leicester, Leicester, Leicester" and that's about it.

Lisa, if you're reading this, I believe you're in some sort of fans consultancy group or forum or whatever. Maybe you can raise some of these ideas next time there's a meeting? Assuming you don't disagree of course.
Atmosphere (or lack of) is always mentioned. All of the above has been discussed over and over again.

Smoking - it doesn't matter whether the club makes a smoking area or not, if England and Wales follow the Scottish interpretation, smoking will be banned by law in stadia like ours, regardless of what you or I or anyone else thinks. I've suggested that the club copies Derby, who rope off an area outside the exit gates, where smokers can go during half-time. This is something that they are seriously considering, and is a fair compromise in my opinion.

As for the point in asking people in the BMI stand what they think, of course they should be asked; perhaps there are people sitting in that stand purely because it is no smoking, but would prefer sitting in the South stand, but only if there was no smoking.

Moving the Kop/Unreserved seating - The Club was more than happy to consider this, however other committee members who sit in both the North and South stands had expressed concerns that some people would not to move as they were happy with where they were. This is one of the reasons for the questionnaire. Unreserved seating is difficult to police; the club struggled at Filbert Street, so how they'd cope with the Walkers, I don't know. There are also issues with capacity, which would need to be reduced. This is fine at the moment, but if we were promoted or had a 'big' cup tie, then we would be losing revenue on ticket sales if unreserved remained.

Singing areas - I personally don't want to see one section of the ground singing, whilst the remaining part just sits there. I also don't want to be forced to sit in a specific area, just because I like to make some noise. Being next to the away fans is no guarantee of atmosphere - look at the BMI stand. In an ideal world, the whole ground will be chanting, but we don't live in an ideal world. As pointed out elsewhere, our fans are reactive, and there has been some great support from the Kop, and no doubt from L1 too. Rob Kelly was at the last fans meeting, and said that he thought the atmosphere was improving, and from where he sits, it sounded great against Leeds and Derby.

My opinion on the whole problem is that the majority of people who are concerned the most watch the game from L1. It's a fact that L1 cannot hear the Kop very well and vice versa. I get the impression that because the Kop cannot be heard, there is a belief that the away fans think that we only have about 100 or so singers, making it look like we have crap support. To be honest, whilst at times the atmophere is crap, there are times when the Kop has rocked. I don't care what the away fans or L1 think. I assume a lot of others in the Kop also think the same.

We'll never get back to 'the good old days' without the reintroduction of terracing. Whether you like it or not, football has changed. If you want to create an atmosphere, you have to do it yourself. If others join in, great, if they don't then you can't make them. And don't give up, keep going because eventually people will join in, especially if the results keep improving.

I don't care what the away fans or L1 think. I assume a lot of others in the Kop also think the same.

We'll never get back to 'the good old days'...

Agree whole heartedly with the top sentence...

I believe many people on here who seem to be thinking of the 'good old days' sat mainly in the Kop... When I fist started going down (95/96) I sat in the upper teir of the DD and sometimes the atmoshpere was shocking. In reality on SK1 and SK2 really ever sang a lot. The same number of people probably still sing today but are split between the Kop and L1, but because they can't here each other they think no-one is singing...

Point being that if you ever sat in the Carling stand or upper tier, somtetimes the atmosphere (no matter how good it seemed in the Kop) was poor. To upto half the ground!!

Sorry, Im really late on this but I live in Italy and am also really lazy. However, about three years ago someone was talking about the time at Milan when some fans threw a Lambretta off the second tier onto some Inter fans below. The chuckers were actually Atalanta fans (from the city of Brescia), who have always had a profound dislike of (ex-Fox) Mancini's club. Nobody was killed, but it was a close-run thing. As this is Italy no one was prosecuted. However, in terms of enlivening proceedings, it was a winner. Perhaps just the thing for the Walkers (which I have never visited, I'm ashamed to say) when our friends from the Trent are over, if they ever get promoted back into the Premiership. Just as a useless Italian football fact, there is a club playing in Serie B (Championship), called AlbinoLeffe which is an amalgamation of two clubs put together (Albino and Leffe) for the purposes of staying up from the hell of Serie C, who have a deep dislike of each other; so every time their 'team' play, they keep at opposite ends of then ground and chant abuse at each other and refuse to associate; hence the capital L for Leffe. Only in Italy. Anyway, all the best to you lot, and may we one day have the success we undoubtedly deserve. That Levein was a tosser, eh?

Ronnie Combo

Archived