Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Steve Horobin - Condolences Thread

HOW DID OUR SON DIE? More Headlines | Back to home page BY CHRISSY HARRIS

10:30 - 12 April 2006 The parents of a City fan found dead in a river say they are desperate to know what happened to their son.

Steven Horobin, 33, of Blaby, was found floating in the River Soar, near City's Walkers Stadium, on Saturday morning.

The father-of-one was walking home from City's match against Crystal Palace on Friday when the tragedy happened.

Police say Steven, who was wearing his replica City football shirt, was last seen enjoying a drink with friends in the New Town Arms in the city centre at about 1am.

Officers are not treating the death as suspicious, but need help to piece together Steven's final hours.

Today, his parents, Bert and Marlene, of Braunstone, Leicester, said they were coping as best they could, but not knowing how their son died was adding to their despair.

Bert, 61, said: "If it was a tragic accident, we could accept that and try to move on.

"We've been told there are no suspicious circumstances, which is comforting, but need more answers. We don't know why he chose to go home that way or walk by the river. Somebody out there must have seen him or know something.

"The last time I saw him was on Friday when he popped round to have a sandwich before he went to the match. Before he left, I told him to take it steady. He was such a lovely son and a great father."

Steven, an IT worker who was engaged to Hayleigh, 23, and had a daughter, Olivia, two, was a lifelong City fan and went to nearly every match.

He was also an avid England supporter and went to watch the team play in the World Cup in Japan in 2002.

His family hope to bury him in his England shirt with a City programme by his side. They are also hoping to hold a reception for Steven at the Walkers Stadium after his funeral. Steven's mum, Marlene, 60, who has two other sons, Paul, 39, and Martin, 38, said: "I just can't believe he's gone and he won't be walking through this house any more.

"He was always popping home to us. His bedroom is exactly how he left it on Friday.

"His work clothes are in a neat pile next to his bag. I can't bring myself to go in there. It's too much. He was my youngest son, my baby. I keep waking up in the middle of the night in tears and asking why? Why did he die?"

Steven's body was found in the river opposite Raw Dykes Road by a rower, who dialled 999. Police have appealed for anyone who saw Steven after Friday's match, or near the river, to get in touch.

A Leicester City spokesman said: "We were very saddened to hear about Mr Horobin's death. He was clearly a dedicated fan and our thoughts are with his family."

Anyone with information is asked to call Det Insp Lee Hill on 0116 222 2222.

It hits home when you find out a bit about the person who has died.

RIP Steven

I know this sounds slightly patronising, but I dont think a lot of people will know how a loss feels unless they have had one, and until you become a parent its hard to relate to losing a child.

That poor family, I really feel for them all.

I know this sounds slightly patronising, but I dont think a lot of people will know how a loss feels unless they have had one, and until you become a parent its hard to relate to losing a child.

That poor family, I really feel for them all.

I know what you mean. It's impossible to even start to realise how it feels to lose one of your children until you have children of your own and even then you can't fully understand how it must feel unless it has happened to yourself.

Archived