Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Theoretical football

Having watched nearly all of the first team and reserves home matches last season I have a theory...

If you counted Chris O'Grady as an Academy graduate then a match between the two teams, particularly over 70 minutes, would end in a win for the Reserves - providing it was a team of regulars not aggled with no-hope trialists from here, there and everywhere.

For a start, they are much more co-ordinated as an attacking unit and are packed with goals potential.

Their achilles heel is in central defence and their ability to maintain their high tempo for 90 minutes.

Because they invariably have attack minded wing-backs and goalscorers/creators in midfield, the strikers (Gradel and two centre-forwards at least) know that it's worth making aggressive, penetrative runs because there are people with the skill to deliver the passes.

Who would do that for the first team?.

In any regular Reserves team they would have scorer/creators in Magunda, Sheehan, Porter, Wykes, Tejan-Sie, King, Odhiambo, Gradel, Dodds, Chambers, McKay, O'Grady including team and bench. That's one hell of a lot of goals potential not counting anyone I've inadvertently missed.

The first team would have: Stearman, Williams, Hume, Fryatt and just possibly Hammond. That's it.

And people wonder why I want to see changes!

Having watched nearly all of the first team and reserves home matches last season I have a theory...

If you counted Chris O'Grady as an Academy graduate then a match between the two teams, particularly over 70 minutes, would end in a win for the Reserves - providing it was a team of regulars not aggled with no-hope trialists from here, there and everywhere.

For a start, they are much more co-ordinated as an attacking unit and are packed with goals potential.

Their achilles heel is in central defence and their ability to maintain their high tempo for 90 minutes.

Because they invariably have attack minded wing-backs and goalscorers/creators in midfield, the strikers (Gradel and two centre-forwards at least) know that it's worth making aggressive, penetrative runs because there are people with the skill to deliver the passes.

In any regular Reserves team they would have scorer/creators in Magunda, Sheehan, Porter, Wykes, Tejan-Sie, King, Odhiambo, Gradel, Dodds, Chambers, McKay, O'Grady including team and bench. That's one hell of a lot of goals potential not counting anyone I've inadvertently missed.

The first team would have: Stearman, Williams, Hume, Fryatt and just possibly Hammond. That's it.

They're both playing at totally different levels of football. Get over it.

They're both playing at totally different levels of football. Get over it.

And who the hell is denying that?.

Not a word of what you say addresses my theory.

I've not noticed O'Grady looking any worse in the first team than he did in the Reserves, or Stearman, or Wesolowski but I have seen Douglas, Tiatto, Hammond, Sylla finding it just as hard to make an impression at second team level as first.

There are differences but it's a myth to pretend the two levels are so distant. How often do part-time non League sides beat full-time professionals in the Cup?

It happens more than occasionally and I believe it could easily happen at Leicester now Joey's gone. How many reserve games have you seen?

I think you'll find you missed Stephen Hughes off your list

But when does he ever score or make goals?. I had hoped he would but he's been a real disappointment to me. Three League goals all season. But include him if you like. I wouldn't want him.

Agree with alot of that. I was really dissapointed that for the final two games (where we had nothing to play for and quite a few knocks) Kelly didn't give some of these youngsters a chance, it would have been benifical in so many ways.

I think people are being abit harsh on Thracian, the fact is he thinks the likes of Sylla, Hammond, Douglas, Tiatto and a few others are crap. Most sensible Leicester fans would all agree.

He watches the academy and reserve games regularly and see's theses players in action, so he's aware of players that stand out. The posters who argue with him on here are probably the very people who rarely watch the games with these youngsters in yet have the cheek to dismiss what he's saying.

I'm not saying I entirely agree with Thrac, but I watch the reserves and academy as much as I can and it's fair to say that both Porter and Dodds wouldn't disgrace themselves in the first team and they certainly wouldn't be any worse than the above mentioned first team players who have managed to make around 20-30 appearances each this season. They've both knuckled down for the reserves this season and should be given some recognition on merit.

It's funny these debates i've had many of similar ilk over the years with people about youngsters such as Stearman and Wesolowski, it's only when they do finally get a first team chance that the very people who argued with me about them start to sing their praises.

I think people are being abit harsh on Thracian, the fact is he thinks the likes of Sylla, Hammond, Douglas, Tiatto and a few others are crap. Most sensible Leicester fans would all agree.

He watches the academy and reserve games regularly and see's theses players in action, so he's aware of players that stand out. The posters who argue with him on here are probably the very people who rarely watch the games with these youngsters in yet have the cheek to dismiss what he's saying.

I'm not saying I entirely agree with Thrac, but I watch the reserves and academy as much as I can and it's fair to say that both Porter and Dodds wouldn't disgrace themselves in the first team and they certainly wouldn't be any worse than the above mentioned first team players who have managed to make around 20-30 appearances each this season. They've both knuckled down for the reserves this season and should be given some recognition on merit.

It's funny these debates i've had many of similar ilk over the years with people about youngsters such as Stearman and Wesolowski, it's only when they do finally get a first team chance that the very people who argued with me about them start to sing their praises.

Im all for porter and dodds going out on loan or sitting on our bench. Tharcs problem is above. Plus he's been labouring this point too long as well. He also mentions Sylla and Tiatto too much.

Im all for porter and dodds going out on loan or sitting on our bench. Tharcs problem is above. Plus he's been labouring this point too long as well. He also mentions Sylla and Tiatto too much.

I know what your saying, I think there needs to be a happy medium found.

Just a reminder of some of the talent that some people were talking up only a few years ago (where are they now!):

Tommy Wright, Dawson, Jon Ashton, Jon Stevenson, Tommy Petrescu etc.

Just a reminder of some of the talent that some people were talking up only a few years ago (where are they now!):

I cannot remember ever talking any one of those up!.

If the last two you mentioned do anything praiseworthy I'm sure you'll let me know.

Ric's right about the happy medium though and I'll be happy when we start getting a team that is full of positive players instead of half full of negative ones.

I for one really do wish the first team would play the reserves at the Walkers, Just so you could see the class gap. The reserves would get beat heavily and you may finally shut up about the bloddy youth team.

If they're so bloody brilliant why don't they ever play like it?

Compared to Wesolowski, Stearman and O'Grady. Not a bad return, infact there are only two in that bunch that I ever thought would make it. So out of 5 players i've predicted over the years, 3 have looked good at this level. Not a bad record is it? Plus Dawson, is far too good for the level he's playing at, I hope he gets to play at Leicester's level one day to prove me right or wrong.

If the last two you mentioned do anything praiseworthy I'm sure you'll let me know.

Ric's right about the happy medium though and I'll be happy when we start getting a team that is full of positive players instead of half full of negative ones.

I really don't care about Momo Sylla and I care even less about Danny. I didn't want him to stay however I knew he would be staying, our squad is small and Kelly isn't looking to bring many players in which basically means holding on to what he's got. Sylla has another year, I know he's done nothing but he's here to stay, he was signed as a first team player and was more then likely promised first team football. Kelly will try and make him happy by putting him in the squad, thats life. A day doesn't go by without you reminding us all in one way or another that Danny Tiatto and Momo Sylla are Leicester City players. It's needless.

I wont say this again, football isn't player like it used to be 2-2-6 formations arent going to work and neither is playing 10 attacking players. We are managing to form a fairly solid team, and we have more good players then you think, Hughes is quality no matter what you say. season before last he was inspirational and Rangers had him down as the next big thing. Instead of trying to get Levi Porter on the pitch I would be hopeing Hughes can produce his best form.

I think if you play the likes of Porter and Dodds in the first team at the moment you will see that they look as ordinary as a Sylla or a Tiatto. The class differnce from reserve to first team is massive, what works against Coalville Town wont against Leeds United. Young players are prone to having large spells of poor form, and we are quite a demanding set of fans, we could destroy players like Dodds and Porter if they didnt play well.

Loan deal for both of them I say

I really don't care about Momo Sylla and I care even less about Danny. I didn't want him to stay however I knew he would be staying, our squad is small and Kelly isn't looking to bring many players in which basically means holding on to what he's got. Sylla has another year, I know he's done nothing but he's here to stay, he was signed as a first team player and was more then likely promised first team football. Kelly will try and make him happy by putting him in the squad, thats life. A day doesn't go by without you reminding us all in one way or another that Danny Tiatto and Momo Sylla are Leicester City players. It's needless.

I wont say this again, football isn't player like it used to be 2-2-6 formations arent going to work and neither is playing 10 attacking players. We are managing to form a fairly solid team, and we have more good players then you think, Hughes is quality no matter what you say. season before last he was inspirational and Rangers had him down as the next big thing. Instead of trying to get Levi Porter on the pitch I would be hopeing Hughes can produce his best form.

I think if you play the likes of Porter and Dodds in the first team at the moment you will see that they look as ordinary as a Sylla or a Tiatto. The class differnce from reserve to first team is massive, what works against Coalville Town wont against Leeds United. Young players are prone to having large spells of poor form, and we are quite a demanding set of fans, we could destroy players like Dodds and Porter if they didnt play well.

Loan deal for both of them I say

A valid point I would say.

Of course they are going to look good against coalville, but if you chuck them in against the better teams they will look very ordinary, unless of course they are very talented.

Archived