Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

McAuley to sign on free transfer

Can't believe there are people slagging him off when he hasn't even signed yet! FFS, get behind whoever comes in until they don't cut the mustard, then have a pop. Let's TRY to be optimistic, pleeeeese.

Can't believe there are people slagging him off when he hasn't even signed yet! FFS, get behind whoever comes in until they don't cut the mustard, then have a pop. Let's TRY to be optimistic, pleeeeese.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Always look on the bright side of life...

The probablem is that when either of them are out (due to injury, suspension or whatever) we have looked very short of cover.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gerrbrand or Nissa move on.

Johansson is very able cover when either of them are out (that does leave a problem at LB though), but if both are out I take your point. I'm not sure I'd be happy with Gerrbrand stepping in, I think I'd probably be happier with Stearman moving to CB to be honest, which is why if one of the CBs is on their way out I hope it's Gerrbrand... (unfair I know, I expect he's a very good player, but hasn't had enough time to show it here, if we had the money I'd love to keep him.. but as it is out of our current CB's he's the one I'd be least upset to lose).

It's all a lottery, we've had ex-premier players on £20+k/week who turned out crap, I believe he only scored six goals, but hey hope springs eternal. :D

I mentioned goals and my point is that our present two centre-backs scored three goals between them last season which is not enough.

Leicester scored 51 League goals last season, second placed Sheffield United beat that by more than 20.

If - and it's a big "if" - McAuley can manage the five or so he scored last season that means we will need another 15-18 from the wings and from other midfield places other than the replacement for Joey who's own near double-figure contribution will also have to be scored.

Assuming only half Joey's goals are scored by his replacement we need a few more from the strikers (reasonable as they played less than half a season together lst time), from alternative strikers O'Grady, Chambers (I hope because goals would be guaranteed) plus Hammond or whoever - which is more than reasonable seeing we hardly got any last year, and a goal or two from left-back.

I am aware this is theoretical but without those goals the idea of promotion is just wishful thinking. We have four definite non scorers in the side at present: Johansson, Tiatto, Kisnorbo and Maybury. Williams and Hughes are not much better and nor is McCarthy.

Of these I believe only Williams has the class and technique to improve his contribution.

That means we get barely a handful of goals from eight positions (including goalkeeper). It is just not on and why both our fans seem prepared to accept it and condone such badly under-gunned team selections I don't know.

Worse still, apart from Hammond (4 goals), and the largely untried O'Grady, our substitutes don't offer the prospect of goals either.

It is simple mathematics really. We conceded 59 goals - over 1.25 per match and scored a little over 1.00 per match when we need 1.5 minimum (69 goals). That means there's 18 goals minimum that we have to find - plus someone to match Joey's substantial contribution.

The requirements are simple enough. The ruthlessness to sort it something quite different. McCauley might be a start.

An opinion of McAuley can't be based on just one televised game, it has to be over a number of games in order to form a valid judgement. I've only seen him a few times, but I couldn't say at this stage whether he'd be able to step up to play in the Championship.

If he was to come in, I'd be inclined to release Gerrbrand. I just feel he hasn't adapted to this league - his size and style doesn't suit the rough and tumble of the Championship. You never know, Wolfsburg may still be interested, so a deal could be struck there.

An opinion of McAuley can't be based on just one televised game, it has to be over a number of games in order to form a valid judgement. I've only seen him a few times, but I couldn't say at this stage whether he'd be able to step up to play in the Championship.

If he was to come in, I'd be inclined to release Gerrbrand. I just feel he hasn't adapted to this league - his size and style doesn't suit the rough and tumble of the Championship. You never know, Wolfsburg may still be interested, so a deal could be struck there.

His chances were limited by injury, then Levein's constant tinkering, then Kisnorbo's emergence as a quality centre-back. I'd like to see how he'd play if he was given a good run of games, but if we do sign McAuley, I won't be too bothered if Gerrbrand makes a quick exit.

I'd rather lose Gerrbrand than Kisnorbo, and Nissa's useful as he covers CB and LB.

I hope I'm wrong but watching him in the Div 2 Play off semis left me totally unimpressed.I did not see the dominating powerful header we are looking for,in fact McCombe, who has just gone to Bristol City,looked more the part.A free transfer signing from Lincoln is unlikely to be the next Walshie is it?

Obviously didn't watch Lincoln in the play-off semis last season, when McAuley scored both the goals that put them through 2-1 on aggregate then.

Also, all those clamoring for the ol' 3-5-2 formation will be pleased to hear Keith Alexander's preferred formation was that underused classic 5-2-3 (well, kind of a mix between 5-2-3 and 3-4-3), where there would be three central defenders, 2 wing-backs, two central midfielders and 3 attackers.

Anyway, the point is he's played in a back 3 many a time, along with McCombe McCombe McCombe and Paul Morgan.

He's also performed a lot more consisently over the past couple of seasons than McCombe McCombe McCombe.

It's funny how when Gerrbrand was having a run in the team everyone was bumming him as "the best defender in the championship" or "the next Steve Walsh", but he hasn't played for a while and you all now want to get rid of him for a defender who is practically unknown and played for bloody Lincoln!

It's funny how when Gerrbrand was having a run in the team everyone was bumming him as "the best defender in the championship" or "the next Steve Walsh", but he hasn't played for a while and you all now want to get rid of him for a defender who is practically unknown and played for bloody Lincoln!

He's not unknown at all he's highly rated, I've seen him play well for Lincolin a few times over the past couple of seasons, play offs menioned by Alex espically, he was very good. Wheather or not he will be good enough for Championship football or not is entirely down to opinion. I'll admit, im totally undecided on the matter :D Physically he's got the mold of a championship defender and he's good enough in the air, however wheather or not he will be able to cope with the pace and skill some of the fowards have in this division is a differnt matter.

All this talk of his goalscoring is a little bit silly for a few reasons, 1) It really doesn't matter how many goals ur CB's score, sure its a nice bonus but it has to be the last thing you look at when signing a good defender 2) if you put Paddy K + Paddy Mcarthy in league two they will score you five goals :blink: 3) Our problems from set pieces lie with our delivery not our abilty to head the ball.

Gerrbrands had a pretty poor season over all, he a few good games over the Autmumn, but his form fizzled out in December, Stoke away game espically. Some say he cost us the game with his inabilty to cope with Stokes strong foward line. Wheather he goes or not is all about the money IMO, if we get a nice enough offer I wont lose any sleep about him going.

He's not unknown at all, he's highly rated, I've seen him play well for Lincoln a few times over the past couple of seasons, play offs menioned by Alex especially, he was very good. Wheather or not he will be good enough for Championship football or not is entirely down to opinion. I'll admit, I'm totally undecided on the matter :D Physically he's got the mould of a championship defender and he's good enough in the air, however wheather or not he will be able to cope with the pace and skill some of the forwards have in this division is a different matter.

I don't know that much about him, but his background does seem similar to that of Matt Elliott.

If he's only half as good as Matty was, it'll be an excellent signing by RK!

So while I hope Gerrbrand is the one to leave, sadly I believe Kisnorbo will be the fund-raiser for the new season and will go, probably to Everton.

Aren't Everton likely to sign Huth? If do I doubt they would want Kisnorbo. What about Birmingam are they still interested? If so I can't see him leaving us for them. So I'm not too worried about leaving Kisnorbo yet.

kisnorbo did score last year thrac, and was close a few other times as well, dont forget howmany stearman got from RB

I know he scored one, so did Nils, Maybury and Tiatto. The point I was making was they are not noted as marksmen and we cannot afford to have so many positions filled by people who do not score or make goals.

He's not unknown at all he's highly rated, I've seen him play well for Lincolin a few times over the past couple of seasons, play offs menioned by Alex espically, he was very good. Wheather or not he will be good enough for Championship football or not is entirely down to opinion. I'll admit, im totally undecided on the matter :D Physically he's got the mold of a championship defender and he's good enough in the air, however wheather or not he will be able to cope with the pace and skill some of the fowards have in this division is a differnt matter.

All this talk of his goalscoring is a little bit silly for a few reasons, 1) It really doesn't matter how many goals ur CB's score, sure its a nice bonus but it has to be the last thing you look at when signing a good defender 2) if you put Paddy K + Paddy Mcarthy in league two they will score you five goals :blink: 3) Our problems from set pieces lie with our delivery not our abilty to head the ball.

Gerrbrands had a pretty poor season over all, he a few good games over the Autmumn, but his form fizzled out in December, Stoke away game espically. Some say he cost us the game with his inabilty to cope with Stokes strong foward line. Wheather he goes or not is all about the money IMO, if we get a nice enough offer I wont lose any sleep about him going.

Our goals tally is pretty well fundamental to our chances of success, especially with a defence that concedes at the rate our does.

As for our free kicks City's performance in this department was just about as wretched as I've ever seen from any professional football club under both managers.

Deliver was poor but there was almost a complete lack of imagination and precision. Far too many times the ball was hoisted in the air when we simply didn't have the personnel to ever get on the end of them.

Apart from a few of Joey's individual strikes on goal our set pieces were rarely any sort of threat at all.

Unless you get your fair share of goals from such situations you give yopurself a handicap against the opposition from start to finish.

Kelly has insisted that he does work hard on free kicks - and I believe him - but whatever he has worked on doesn't work for whatever reason and has to be improved.

Our goals tally is pretty well fundamental to our chances of success, especially with a defence that concedes at the rate our does.

As for our free kicks City's performance in this department was just about as wretched as I've ever seen from any professional football club under both managers.

Deliver was poor but there was almost a complete lack of imagination and precision. Far too many times the ball was hoisted in the air when we simply didn't have the personnel to ever get on the end of them.

Apart from a few of Joey's individual strikes on goal our set pieces were rarely any sort of threat at all.

Unless you get your fair share of goals from such situations you give yopurself a handicap against the opposition from start to finish.

Kelly has insisted that he does work hard on free kicks - and I believe him - but whatever he has worked on doesn't work for whatever reason and has to be improved.

Well I think Joey was one of the main problem with our free kicks, I dont bealive he should of bashed everything thats was at a angle greater then 30 degress, and within 45 yards of the goal, at the top corner.

Well I think Joey was one of the main problem with our free kicks, I dont bealive he should of bashed everything thats was at a angle greater then 30 degress, and within 45 yards of the goal, at the top corner.

I don't disagree with that. But guidance on these things should come from the manager.

I've been bumming McAuley for a good while now :thumbup:

Could that sound much gayer?

Scandel.

The majority of games in the Championship are so tight that often they are decided by set pieces. So it is vital that your team can defend and attack set pieces correctly. I dont know the stats but I bet we conceded a lot more goals from set pieces than what we scored, something you carnt get away with if you want to finish top six. McCauley should help in this department

Look at our team under MON, our main strength was set peices. Also in our promotion year under MA, a lot of our games were decided by Izzet's superb set piece delivery

Archived