Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Are We Missing Gudjonsson Yet?

Hmmmmm I wonder how long it will be until the majority think we are badly missing him.

We missed his tenacity and drive on saturday, if I cast myself back to last season when we played Luton it was Gudjonsson who was here, there and everywhere and look at this seasons encounter and Johnson was not here, there or everywhere.

Yet another season will go by where we have an atrocious midfield that gets weaker by the year.

Hmmmmm I wonder how long it will be until the majority think we are badly missing him.

We missed his tenacity and drive on saturday, if I cast myself back to last season when we played Luton it was Gudjonsson who was here, there and everywhere and look at this seasons encounter and Johnson was not here, there or everywhere.

Yet another season will go by where we have an atrocious midfield that gets weaker by the year.

How good was joey in his first games for us... give Johnson a chance.

For me it's a tactical problem, and one of team selection, yes Joey being back would help, but RK needs to get the balance betwen attack\defence, and the lack of width, which having Joey back would not help!!! :rolleyes:

It's a big IF given his fitness but an extended run for your hero Wesolowski might just disprove your final comment.

How good was joey in his first games for us... give Johnson a chance.

I am giving Johnson a chance. I thought he looked classy against Sociedad but dreadful and anonymous on saturday so it's up in the air at the moment, he certainly has the ability to be effective if we pass him the ball.

All i'm saying is are we missing him yet? I think as the weeks go on, even the Gudjonsson haters might have to concede that we've got worse since he's gone.

But we will hopefully have weso back playing at least 30 odd games. Johnson didn't impress me much on Sat, but there's no doubt he will find his role and I'm sure he will have a successful season.

Williams and Hughes are my biggest concerns. If they don't start performing on a regular basis this season then we're gonna have to get rid and get some perhaps technically worse, but gritty midfielders who can get us out of this division. It's all about scaring the opposition in to submission.

It's a big IF given his fitness but an extended run for your hero Wesolowski might just disprove your final comment.

I just fear that one player can't do the job of 4 players and also demand the ball of the defence and fight them if they continue to hoof it. He is a phenomenon but it will be hard for him to improve our midfield greatly without everyone else improving and playing to our strengths.

Let's hope he does.

The main problem here is that Gudjonsson and Johnson are 2 very different players. Gudjonsson could sometimes make something happen on his own but could often make bad passes and give the ball away. Johnson is capable of picking a pass out.

In order to use Johnson to his strengths the defence are going to have to pass the ball out to him. Something they did not do enough on Saturday and therefore he looked anonymous. He is not Joey (hasnt got the engine to run and get the ball back) and the fans and the players have to realise and adapt too his style which may take a few games but i dont think we can blame Johnson.

I dont think Williams and Johnson are necessarily the right partnership at the moment for Leicester. We had combatitive wingers but no guile in the centre of the pitch. Perhaps Wesolowski can solve this or we may have to get a McKinlay type in on loan if we can offload De Vries

The main problem here is that Gudjonsson and Johnson are 2 very different players. Gudjonsson could sometimes make something happen on his own but could often make bad passes and give the ball away. Johnson is capable of picking a pass out.

In order to use Johnson to his strengths the defence are going to have to pass the ball out to him. Something they did not do enough on Saturday and therefore he looked anonymous. He is not Joey (hasnt got the engine to run and get the ball back) and the fans and the players have to realise and adapt too his style which may take a few games but i dont think we can blame Johnson.

I dont think Williams and Johnson are necessarily the right partnership at the moment for Leicester. We had combatitive wingers but no guile in the centre of the pitch. Perhaps Wesolowski can solve this or we may have to get a McKinlay type in on loan if we can offload De Vries

Your not wrong in what you say but what you have said highlights the very problem. The way Kelly has set this team out to play means that the Johnson type player (incidently quite similar to Williams but more fine tuned) may well be wasted in a team that seems to be geared up for an all out battle (something that Gudjonsson did to great effect with the occasional moment of creative brilliance that led to goals). Johnson has been with us all pre-season and Kelly must have pitched to him what he wants him and the team to do, but in the games i've seen so far he's been wasted. Against Sociedad he started off very brightly when he got the ball, but he was fighting a lost cause trying to get the defence to pass to him and ultimately he was pretty anonymous for that second half and for most of the game against Luton.

One encouraging sign is that Johnson can pass the ball and does seem to have the motivation that Williams doesn't, at the start of the second half against Luton he threaded through a brilliant through ball to our strikers but they messed it up. If we can get him the ball then there's signs he could do a job for us, but Kelly has seen this team hoof the ball up to obscurity all pre-season and it obviously hasn't bothered him.

I just don't think there's enough pace in the midfield. None of them are quick enough to get up and support the forwards. Having Williams as the more creative player is a killer in my opinion. He's just not consistent enough to warrant that place in the side. He's not quick enough to join attacks effectively. They were trying to play little triangles at times in midfield but they're not good enough technically to do that either with so few bodies in central midfield and having such a big gap between the midfield and the attack. It's still triangle, triangle, hoof to Fryatt. It was horrible to watch.

For me, I think the main difference between us against Luton this season and last was:

1) The lacking of Welsh down the left flank to give us the width. When he came on against them last season, he was really effective in taking on the fullback and providing that outlet we were so sorely lacking on Saturday.

2) Fryatt and Hume were not as effective as they were last season against Luton's defence. They seemed to be second to the ball in every department, in the air (to be expected), speed on the ground, lacking first touch, stamina. Not sure what they did in preseason.

Although yes, Gudjonsson will be a big miss, however not one that will floor us as much as the tactics we played over the weekend.

If Gudjonsson is the answer then I am giving up :ph34r:

Surely better than what we've currently got available. Even Wesolowski is going to struggle if Kelly sets up the way he has done all pre-season and in the first league game.

Yeh, fair point. He's only played one game for us. He wont beat Gudjohnsons standards yet.

Quite right he'll have to be crap for a WHOLE year to get to those mighty standards!!! :rolleyes:

And no Ric I'm not missing Joey yet, and don't think I ever will, especially after ONE game without him.... :huh:

I just don't think there's enough pace in the midfield. None of them are quick enough to get up and support the forwards. Having Williams as the more creative player is a killer in my opinion. He's just not consistent enough to warrant that place in the side. He's not quick enough to join attacks effectively. They were trying to play little triangles at times in midfield but they're not good enough technically to do that either with so few bodies in central midfield and having such a big gap between the midfield and the attack. It's still triangle, triangle, hoof to Fryatt. It was horrible to watch.

That is an excellent point, and I would add to that to say we are shockingly unfit which puts us 3 steps behind dross like Luton.

I just fear that one player can't do the job of 4 players and also demand the ball of the defence and fight them if they continue to hoof it. He is a phenomenon but it will be hard for him to improve our midfield greatly without everyone else improving and playing to our strengths.

Let's hope he does.

Hence having Gudjonson in the side wouldn't make much difference.

You just answered your own question!

What was our midfield when we actually signed Williams, can anyone remember? The point i'm making is that I don't think Williams was brought to this club to be anything more than a bit of a flair player, the kind of player who could change a game by bending a freekick in to the top left hand corner.

Hence having Gudjonson in the side wouldn't make much difference.

You just answered your own question!

Gudjonsson fitted in to the way Kelly wants the team to play though. A proper battler who would often get the ball himnself from defence, make a 20 yard run and then blast the ball forward for our attackers. I'm not saying he was anything special but he'll be more suited to the way we play than Johnson and his younger clone Williams.

Gudjonnson chose to go anyway, but I just thought i'd raise the question.

Tiatto, Williams, Gudjonsson, Gillespie/Scowcroft

I would say.

Williams was the first midfielder we signed that summer so the only other midfielders we had at the time were Gillespie, Scowcroft, Nalis and Jordan Stewart.

Gudjonsson fitted in to the way Kelly wants the team to play though. A proper battler who would often get the ball himnself from defence, make a 20 yard run and then blast the ball forward for our attackers. I'm not saying he was anything special but he'll be more suited to the way we play than Johnson and his younger clone Williams.

Gudjonnson chose to go anyway, but I just thought i'd raise the question.

it's sounds as though you have feelings for him, Ric??????? :)

Archived