Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Burnley Player Ratings

We need fight, hunger, desire. see that in kelly, not a drop.

You've got to get yourself down to Specsavers...they're still doing the summer 2for1 deal, and I believe they can even sort you out a dog to go with those extra dark glasses you need.

There was fight and hunger all over the pitch - the passing was poor and the absence of two central midfield players didn't help, nor the long ball tactics...but to questions the fight? Christ man, you are seriously wrong.

but to questions the fight? Christ man, you are seriously wrong.

Not "seriously" wrong, cos some of the lads really do look like they can't be arsed, and they're being thrown about left, right and center.. We need a midfield general, someone to win the ball back and break attacks down, cos we're seriously lacking somebody with those qualities atm

Trying to make things happen? Players in midfield are supposed to do that, but Tiatto offered nothing in an attacking sense.

Tiatto won balls. Tiatto fought for possession and covered ground. Tiatto gave options because he put himself into space. His first half was very solid ~ and Elvis simply collapsed the left wing as a form of attack.

Danny had a very solid game for us tonight, and I feel sad for those of you there that didn't see it.

Not "seriously" wrong, cos some of the lads really do look like they can't be arsed, and they're being thrown about left, right and center.. We need a midfield general, someone to win the ball back and break attacks down, cos we're seriously lacking somebody with those qualities atm

There were two, count them - TWO players who didn't work hard tonight. Williams and Johnson...and at least in the second half Johnson tried running for a change.

We can all point fingers at problems, the point is what are the solutions? There is only one...

WE HAVE TO GET BEHIND THE TEAM.

Tiatto won balls. Tiatto fought for possession and covered ground. Tiatto gave options because he put himself into space. His first half was very solid ~ and Elvis simply collapsed the left wing as a form of attack.

Danny had a very solid game for us tonight, and I feel sad for those of you there that didn't see it.

Tiatto offered very little movement in terms of receiving the ball. He provided Kenton with no outlet for the majority of his time on the pitch. I'm not doubting his work rate, but he was a liability with his rash play, both offensively and defensively.

We can all point fingers at problems, the point is what are the solutions? There is only one...

WE HAVE TO GET BEHIND THE TEAM.

The team will find it difficult to get a crowd into the ground to get behind them if they continue to perform the way they have started the season. It isn't inspiring anybody and neither are Kelly's tactics.. He's running the team quite similarly to CL (in the sense that we are too defense minded and cannot string any passes together, not to mention we are abysmal from set-plays), and we all know what happened when he was the gaf

I'm not doubting his work rate, but he was a liability with his rash play, both offensively and defensively.

Can't say any more apart from, I really don't agree Scoweh. I thought he gave us options on the left flank, but was being sucked into the left side of midfield due to the absence of presence there. His linking play was fine during the first half...no, seriously decent. [it's sad how I'm trying to emphasise just being 'decent' isn't it :blush: ]

The team will find it difficult to get a crowd into the ground to get behind them if they continue to perform the way they have started the season. It isn't inspiring anybody and neither are Kelly's tactics.. He's running the team quite similarly to CL (in the sense that we are too defense minded and cannot string any passes together, not to mention we are abysmal from set-plays), and we all know what happened when he was the gaf

Did you see tonights game? They played with heart...and that should be enough for a crowd of supporters. We did not play defensively, far from it, we took the game to them. We ran the first 30 minutes, were the better team in the first half and shaded possession and attacks in the second. A lot of people on this forum just want to whinge...they don't want to appreciate the positives in a bad situation.

Passing was poor, we gave away too many silly balls, set plays were wasted. So what? It is something they have to work on. Did you expect different?

Did you see tonights game? They played with heart...and that should be enough for a crowd of supporters. We did not play defensively, far from it, we took the game to them. We ran the first 30 minutes, were the better team in the first half and shaded possession and attacks in the second. A lot of people on this forum just want to whinge...they don't want to appreciate the positives in a bad situation.

Passing was poor, we gave away too many silly balls, set plays were wasted. So what? It is something they have to work on. Did you expect different?

I've already said - I didn't go to tonights game, I listened on the radio.

You're right, we did dominate for the first 30-35 minutes or so, but then Burnley took control and we collapsed under pressure, which is something we didn't do very often a few seasons ago.

I'd say the second half was probably ours as well from what the commentator said, but, as you said, the bad passing and the poor set-pieces meant we couldn't mount a serious threat on their goal.

The crowd were decent for half of the second half, but they sounded pretty dead in the first and even the commentator said he could hear the Burnley fans a bit more than our own. A few years back, even at times last season, we had one of the best crowds in English football, and that was when we played sh*te. I just think that if city could show more desire and commitment, it'd be easier for crowds to accept bad performances and still want to turn up week in week out

I just can't see how anyone could rate Johnson better than Tiatto tonight. And 2/10 for any player is a joke unless they score 10 own goals, injure their own player and get sent off for kicking the ball away twice in a minute.

Bunch of overreactors.

...but on another thread, you said you 'booed'.

I agree with your statement above...but surely booing the team is an even more extreme over-reaction than just awarding a player 2 points on some forum?

...but on another thread, you said you 'booed'.

I agree with your statement above...but surely booing the team is an even more extreme over-reaction than just awarding a player 2 points on some forum?

I also said I felt a tad guilty afterwards and that the price of tickets is making people expect a result every match they go to. Booing at the match is an instant reaction too. It's not around half an hour after the match when you've had time to contemplate performances and make decisions on what you saw.

Henderson 6 - Showed he's a very good shot stopper. His communication with the defence is awful though.

Stearman 5 - Defensively he was better, didn't embarrass himself again but his constant hoofing was unacceptable and he should be fined every time he hoofs the ball without good reason.

Kisnorbo 5 - Didn't hoof, but didn't look the solid rock he was under Kelly last season. Still better than McCarthy though.

McCarthy 4 - Terrible. He is the main hoof merchant, he's teaching Stearman by the book. Both of them should hang their heads in shame. There might be little movement from midfield, but let them do their job. Give them the ball and it's up to them to make things happen.

Kenton 6 - Started off brightly at left back, very competitive and got forward a few times. Not a left back though.

Maybury 5 - Thought he also started well and showed some neat passes and touches. Not a winger though and has limited movement.

Johnson 3 - Disgraceful performance. Was a couple of yards of the pace and although the ball was sailing over his head alot, Burnley were also employing this type of football and their midfield were first to the ball every time when it was in the midfield area. Reminds me of Nalis when he first came here.

Williams 6 - Our man of the match. His passing when he can be bothered is premiership class. He was playing in a type of game that didn't suit him but he still got himself involved and has got to be motivated by Kelly to team up with Wesolowski and save this season.

Tiatto 4 - The man's a natural disaster, he's like a never ending hurricane hitting your own brain. I can't stand watching him, atleast this long ball game is keeping Tiatto fairly quiet but it's also meaning there's less of a chance of a suspension or injury.

Fryatt 6 - Feel sorry for him and Hume. I suppose it's abit like watching your kid get bullied and not being able to do anything about it. We all know he's class, even Kelly must do. So when long balls rain down on him and he can't do anything about it, it's no surprise that there's only flashes of talent from him. Thought he was unlucky not to score a few times.

Hume 5 - Even more isolated out of the game than Fryatt and at registered dwarf size it's not surprising. Again, everyone knows he's class but only if he's got the ball at his feet or through the channels with space to run in to.

Subs:

Hughes 4 - Get rid, panzie.

Low 6 - Gave us a brief glimer of hope for a point and is more dangerous than Maybury but i'm still fairly sure that in a few months time after various 90 minutes he won't have set this place alight. Super sub role might suit him.

Hammond 5 - Didn't do alot other than a few embarrassing poor touches and shots.

I agree with your ratings Ric, except for Fryatt. I would give him a 5 as he doesn't look sharp enough and looks unfit.

In fact, I said this Saturday and I'll say it again, the team does not look fit enough at all. Players are failing to hold the ball up, failing to get to balls first. Fryatt is the perfect example. Last season, he was nipping onto the ball ahead of defenders, he was holding the ball up, winning things in the air. He just couldn't do that last night or Saturday. Occasionally, he would show a neat touch or two, but I liken that to playing sunday league football where you've been out the night before, feel rough so only exert your energy every now and then for a neat piece of skill. Rest of time, you are too unfit to do anything.

Can't say any more apart from, I really don't agree Scoweh. I thought he gave us options on the left flank, but was being sucked into the left side of midfield due to the absence of presence there. His linking play was fine during the first half...no, seriously decent. [it's sad how I'm trying to emphasise just being 'decent' isn't it :blush: ]

We'll agree to disagree, the beauty of football.

I just can't see how anyone could rate Johnson better than Tiatto tonight. And 2/10 for any player is a joke unless they score 10 own goals, injure their own player and get sent off for kicking the ball away twice in a minute.

Bunch of overreactors.

2/10 may mean that in your books, but it doesn't in mine - we don't all follow a standard set of player ratings. It's not a case of overreacting - if you're happy with that level of performance from Tiatto, then good for you. I am not and I believe he offers absolutely nothing to our team.

On the other hand, Johnson was poor, but he showed glimpses (albeit brief) of what he can do.

Until our late flourish the match from City's point of view was defined by what seemed like the longest display of head tennis I can remember in the second half. Once the ball was airborne it just went to and fro like a guest at a free bar.

I felt like one of those mock-up fans watching a tennis ball at Wimbledon with my head going left and right, left and right. The ball must been headed 16 times before it hit the ground pretty well back where it started.

I thoguht one of our main problmes last night was ... of course Tiatto, Everyone knows Kenton isn't a left back, so his left winger wpuld need to support him at all times, but yet agin Tiatto drifted in-field and left Kenton exposed, it's a good job Kenton had his head on last night.

Oh yes, ratings!

Henderson 6 (good enough shot stopping but when it comes to leaving his line he's like a novice swimmer faced with diving in at the deep end. By the time he's made up his mind the ball's gone but fortunately no harm was done on this occasion).

Stearman 6 (Competent enough but reduced to aimless passes simply because there was never any serious close support or colleagues running off the ball, much less a winger who could demand the ball. Basically the bloke was snookered)

McCarthy 5 (Not impressive. His boots could have doubled as lob wedges when he should use em as putters. Everything along the ground and nothing more than 50 feet. It wouldn't half save his team-mates a lot of racing about).

Kenton 6 (Solid, committed, busy but not especially consequential. Another faced with limited options).

Maybury 5 (Huffed and puffed really but I remember him being making space and finding himself in a genuine winger's situation needing a quick dummy, a turn of speed and a deadly cross. He just looked like a little boy lost. If he'd have shouted "help" it would have finished the scene perfectly.

Williams 6.5 (I thought he gave it a go. Threatened with another free kick. Looked keen to have a crack and tried to conjure an opening but didn't have much help)

Johnson 4.5 (Came with a decent reputation but it must have been written on All Our Yesterdays paper.)

Tiatto 4 (Times he takes up reasonable positions but fails to make anything of them. Typical was when he stood off an opponent making half a dozen dummy passes like some galactico only to pass the ball tamely to a Burnley player. Looks balanced and threatening til he kicks the ball. One of his fouls on the goalline was pure comedy.

Fryatt 6 (Smashing goal rightly disallowed for an earlier infringement. Tried desperately to make something out of scraps.)

Hume 5 (He and Fryatt simply had no proper support, no-one running between them into the box or moving off the ball to make space.)

Subs: Low 7 (Star man. Made things happen. Shots, dangerous passes, even won a header or two. Why a manager should use him for 20 minutes only in a home match is something else.)

Hammond 6 (One good shot and another desperate effort that might have hit the Clock Tower. No effort to leave him isolated in a one on one to use his pace so his talents were largely wasted in, again, too short a spell on the pitch.)

Hughes 5.5 (Seemed slick and confident on the ball in a prompting sort of way. But as usual, nothing telling. Just workmanlike)

Kelly 4 (Once again conceded the initiative from the start and only committed the team forward when the game was lost.)

Henderson 5- his kicks are crap but made a couple of good saves

Stearman 5- whats happened. i never thought this lad would be crap, he was my god last year.Still keeping my stearman haircut though.

Kisnorbo 6- I thought he did alright but tries to be Vieria sometimes.

McCarthy 6- Important takles and headers he looks most likely to score for us.

Kenton 6- Unsung Hero

Maybury 4- He tries but he isnt good enough to play right midfield.

Johnson 3- Overweight and dosent run.

Williams 7- Man of the Match and taken off after 45 mins. Looked like he cared and had a extra spark.

Tiatto 4- I really do want to love this guy, hes bold, small and makes crunching takles but hes not good enough.

Fryatt 5- Should have scored in second half getting better though.

Hume 5- Came in the game occasionally but when will the other players relise he isnt 6ft 6

Subs

Hughes 5- Did alright for 5 minutes than went missing.

Low 7- Ive seen him at sixfields and he played just as well START HIM ON SATURDAY PLEASE

Hammond 5- Better than Tiatto

Henderson-6- Made some good saves.

Stearman-6- Playyed much better than at Luton, often more of an attacking threat than Maybury.

Kisnorbo-6- Started well but his passes started going everywhere towards the end.

McCarthy-6- Did what he needed to.

Kenton-6- Arguably our best defender on the night.

Maybury-4- Didn't support the front two enough, always crossed from deep

Johnson-5- Better than he was against Luton, got involved more.

Williams-6- Our best midfielder starter, why did he come off?

Tiatto-4- Crap, as usual. Took one in the balls though :P

Fryatt-5- At least he scored, crap service and crap support from midfield shut him out of the game.

Hume-5- Same as Fryatt, why play the ball over their heads???

Hughes-5-Non-existent really.

Low-7-Easily our best player, hit the bar and looked dangerous. Please start him Kelly.

Hammond-4-Did nothing that I recall.

An overall rating from my Dad, who is 82, has thus witnessed a few ups and downs in his time, and who is not given to exaggerartion or hyperbole:

"that was the most pathetic display I can ever remember. Constantly punting the ball into the heavens when your two forwards are tiny."

Oh yes, ratings!

Henderson 6 (good enough shot stopping but when it comes to leaving his line he's like a novice swimmer faced with diving in at the deep end. By the time he's made up his mind the ball's gone but fortunately no harm was done on this occasion).

Stearman 6 (Competent enough but reduced to aimless passes simply because there was never any serious close support or colleagues running off the ball, much less a winger who could demand the ball. Basically the bloke was snookered)

McCarthy 5 (Not impressive. His boots could have doubled as lob wedges when he should use em as putters. Everything along the ground and nothing more than 50 feet. It wouldn't half save his team-mates a lot of racing about).

Kenton 6 (Solid, committed, busy but not especially consequential. Another faced with limited options).

Maybury 5 (Huffed and puffed really but I remember him being making space and finding himself in a genuine winger's situation needing a quick dummy, a turn of speed and a deadly cross. He just looked like a little boy lost. If he'd have shouted "help" it would have finished the scene perfectly.

Williams 6.5 (I thought he gave it a go. Threatened with another free kick. Looked keen to have a crack and tried to conjure an opening but didn't have much help)

Johnson 4.5 (Came with a decent reputation but it must have been written on All Our Yesterdays paper.)

Tiatto 4 (Times he takes up reasonable positions but fails to make anything of them. Typical was when he stood off an opponent making half a dozen dummy passes like some galactico only to pass the ball tamely to a Burnley player. Looks balanced and threatening til he kicks the ball. One of his fouls on the goalline was pure comedy.

Fryatt 6 (Smashing goal rightly disallowed for an earlier infringement. Tried desperately to make something out of scraps.)

Hume 5 (He and Fryatt simply had no proper support, no-one running between them into the box or moving off the ball to make space.)

Subs: Low 7 (Star man. Made things happen. Shots, dangerous passes, even won a header or two. Why a manager should use him for 20 minutes only in a home match is something else.)

Hammond 6 (One good shot and another desperate effort that might have hit the Clock Tower. No effort to leave him isolated in a one on one to use his pace so his talents were largely wasted in, again, too short a spell on the pitch.)

Hughes 5.5 (Seemed slick and confident on the ball in a prompting sort of way. But as usual, nothing telling. Just workmanlike)

Kelly 4 (Once again conceded the initiative from the start and only committed the team forward when the game was lost.)

No rating for Kisnorbo?

There was fight and hunger all over the pitch - the passing was poor and the absence of two central midfield players didn't help, nor the long ball tactics...but to questions the fight? Christ man, you are seriously wrong.

Im wrong? You just explained my point for me. even the passing was poor. to have hunger, desire etc, you WANT to pass correctly, you DONT want to play the long ball, the two midfielders should DEMAND the ball.

Think back, even sinclair had more desire than us, they wanted the ball more, the fought for it more. looks to me now, that theres a certain easy life attitude around the club.

when martin was here, and brian little, few if any around the club wasn't interested, people were keen for the next game, we shy away from them now.

someone said (think it was rick flair) we need a overhaul of the whole club, nothing is more true. for now, kelly needs to grind his teeth in the direction of the players.

No rating for Kisnorbo?

Kisnorbo: 5 (Obviously short of match practise. One particular flash of backtracking ballplay was almost comically disastrous and as for his passing he should wear a shirt to indicate he's limited to 15 yards on open grass. Whatever sights he's using should be issued to snipers. There'd be far less killing. Still a class defender though.)

Paul Henderson - 6 - Did well again and is proving to be a great shot stopper however didnt come out for some catches and, instead, let the ball dangerously go across his goal. Kicking has improved, thankfully.

Richard Stearman - 5 - Still hasnt settled into the new season and I can only hope that he gets through this poor patch.

Paddy McCarthy - 7 - As the captain he played well, throwing himself into some important challenges too however wasnt fast enough for some of Burnley's attacking players.

Patrick Kisnorbo - 4 - Had a poor game, looking unsure and the good work at the end of last season in the same position was soon forgotten about whilst we witnessed him struggle and almost give a goal away whilst getting tackled and losing position in/near his own penalty box.

Kenton - 7 - Another great display with some great tackles and speedy when pushing forward with the ball. Looks fine.

Alan Maybury - 5 - This man looks out of sorts on the right wing and Rob Kelly's beloved pairing of Stearman and Maybury really isnt working at the minute.

Gareth Williams - 7 - Some beautiful first touches and quick passes in the first half and was by far our sharpest player in the early stages. Disapointed to hear he was substitued at half time but thankfully it was because of injury.

Andy Johnson - 4 - Looks very slow and not bothered off the ball however he is alright whilst on the ball, however being a midfielder this is just half the story.

Danny Tiatto - 5 - Look, this guy will give you 110% in terms of effort and his effort cannot be faulted. However, he is simply not good enough for this division, and should not have a starting place in our team, and at the most should be on the bench. But, as I said, effort cannot be and shouldnt be faulted.

Iain Hume - 6 - Almost a repeat performance of Luton, where he wasnt in the game much however in the first half, at times, recieved the ball and looked dangerous but he didnt have any support at all to help him.

Matty Fryatt - 6 - Worked hard tonight but the poor service got to him and in sheer frustation booted the ball away and for the first time we seen a glimpse of immaturity from this otherwise sensible 20 year old, purely fueled by frustration.

Subs:

Stephen Hughes - 3 - Didnt notice him and therefore cant comment.

Elvis Hammond - 5 - Didnt have much time to really have an impact on the game and only highlight was booting the ball into row Z of the Marks Electrical stand as a shot.

Josh Low - 7 - When this guy came on he given our team a new dimension to the game, however all he did was did what all wingers should do and that is get on the wing and put some crosses in, simply enough.

Henderson 5 - Decent shot stopper but doesn't communicate at all

Stearman 6 - Decent enough although he got caught a couple of times by Mahon 1st half

McCarthy 6 - Solid and did nothing wrong. Likes the hoof

Kisnorbo 5 - Was decent and strong apart from a HORROR 15 minutes where he was abysmal.

Kenton 7 - MOTM, solid and committed in the tackle. Not that comfy in possesion but was our best player

Maybury 4 - Hopefully he leaves the club quicker than he takes to get over the half way line

Johnson 4 - Offered nothing apart from running around looking overweight. So slow in possession and was made to look 2nd best in midfield

Williams 5 - Some delightful 1 touch passing and horrible 2 touch passing. Moral of the story.....

Tiatto 5 - Was OK 1st half then got worse quickly

Fryatt 5 - No decent service at all, made 1 chance expertly but then was greedy when he should have squared

Hume 4 - Anonymous for the most part, greedy when he got the ball.

RK 2 - "Lets play long ball to our 2 minature strikers with no emphasis on midfield and no width going forward"

Archived