Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Longsiders1882

A Bit Of Information If Possible

Hi

Not designed to be inflmmatory in anyway so please don't interpret it as such but on one of the Burnley message board there is currently a discussion ongoing regarding how or even whether our club should try to attract a greater percentage of the local ethnic minority population to the games. Now Leicester came to mind as an area with a large minority population and I wondered what percentage of home gates were from this section of the community - just a rough figure to give us some sort of benchmark as to what a club in an area with a much higher percentage of the population from the asian community was achieving to try and quantify what level we could anticipate if we get things right.

Any help greatly appreciated

there's not alot of 'minorities' go to our games but probably more than many grounds.

in all honesty I went to Gosforth High in Newcastle while at school, a massive asian populated school and despite Michael Chopra becoming a professional football I didn't see much interest in football from asian kids. historically i believe they were into cricket and while not wanting to stereotype i feel football isn't too great an interest to them now.

Hi

Not designed to be inflmmatory in anyway so please don't interpret it as such but on one of the Burnley message board there is currently a discussion ongoing regarding how or even whether our club should try to attract a greater percentage of the local ethnic minority population to the games. Now Leicester came to mind as an area with a large minority population and I wondered what percentage of home gates were from this section of the community - just a rough figure to give us some sort of benchmark as to what a club in an area with a much higher percentage of the population from the asian community was achieving to try and quantify what level we could anticipate if we get things right.

Last I herd it was around 3%. So we aren't the best people to ask.

Thanks for the replies guys. Manwell its because of that you are exactly the right guys to ask. Again not wishing to stereotype but I have always felt the biggest barrier was people in this sector of society simply prefer cricket in the main.

Cheers for the replies. I could wish you luck for the season here - but I wouldn't mean it :). Seriously, I wonder if any of you are now wishing you had got Cotterill last season?

Thanks for the replies guys. Manwell its because of that you are exactly the right guys to ask. Again not wishing to stereotype but I have always felt the biggest barrier was people in this sector of society simply prefer cricket in the main.

Cheers for the replies. I could wish you luck for the season here - but I wouldn't mean it :). Seriously, I wonder if any of you are now wishing you had got Cotterill last season?

Not most of them, Cotterill is functional. Most of this lot want the team to play like Brazil as well as get results.

there's not alot of 'minorities' go to our games but probably more than many grounds.

in all honesty I went to Gosforth High in Newcastle while at school, a massive asian populated school and despite Michael Chopra becoming a professional football I didn't see much interest in football from asian kids. historically i believe they were into cricket and while not wanting to stereotype i feel football isn't too great an interest to them now.

Chopra probably isn't the best example.

Although his father is Asian he doesn't exsactly look Asian himself does he?

Football isn't a sport that attracts many Indian fans why can't we just accept that and try harder to attract them to the sport, instead of looking for reasons as to why they don't attend matches.

I can understand them not attending when I was a kid. I used to go with a couple of guys in my class and the chants although not aimed at them were disgusting.

Thankfully things have improved and the only way to attract any new type of fan is in a positive manner and not by saying we have ridden the game of the negatives it's ok for you to come now!

I did a project about racism in football and at the time I had an Asian PE teacher at my school. He'd coached county football teams which included players like Pennant and Jenas. He'd played to a decent standard of football himself but when I interviewed him he said that his parents were against him becoming a football coach. They wanted him to be a doctor or a lawyer instead. A lot of Asian people play cricket around here. You get teams which are made up of just Asian players but there are a fair few that play football too. A lot of it depends upon how their parents have influenced them imo. If your parents take you to play cricket matches on a Sunday instead of football matches you're more likely to prefer playing cricket than football.

I think it will take one British born Asian to make a significant breakthrough in the English game to inspire Asian kids to get involved in football more.

Chopra probably isn't the best example.

Although his father is Asian he doesn't exsactly look Asian himself does he?

granted he doesn't look asian but he is proud to be a one, or at least from what I am aware of. unfortunately he is the only example I can think of really. as for fans, well i am taking my other half to the leeds away game and she is more than aware of what may be aimed at her or just in general that may be offensive

Hi

Cricket was an obvious chioce with first generation Asians. Football was abit of a misnomer, slowly but surely more Asians are interested in football.

In my experience during the 70's and 80's the thought of going to a game would be seen as a dangerous thing to do, the perception was that alot of fans were hooligans and were racists, it didn't help having our windows smashed everytime city played and getting racist abuse from city fans!!!

Playing football wasn't an issue, we(Asians) played football as much as anyone else, the racist perception of mainstream clubs lead to alot of Asians forming there own teams eg GNG, Khalsa etc and still majority play for these teams instead of mainstream teams hence are alot less likely to get scouted, but that has also changed, alot of GNG players have left to join more mainstream teams including Oadby Town etc!!

But at professional level, I suppose alot of Asians didn't consider trying or were put off for one reason or another, and parent were more keen to see there children achieve academically then persue sports.

Another reason I found was that alot gave up at the first attempt and didn't consider trying at another club.

Anyhow, as stated, you will see a rise in Asian players probably in the next 5-10 years and I have seen quite a substantial watch city play compared to say 5 years ago, we have Asian businees that have corporate boxes at the club!!!

on an entirely different matter whatsoever, but regarding football, i play 5 a side down at the Goals Centre in Evington.

There are many asian teams there especially in the top leagues and they enjoy there football. I can see a couple of asian players getting in the ranks at some professional clubs within the next 5 years.

It's a myth to say Asians (at least those in Leicester) are more into cricket than football.

In inner-city parks, even during the summer there are at least many kids playing football as cricket, even during the summer.

And the local pubs are often crowded while matches are shown on Sky, especially when Liverpool or Man Utd games are on.

Obviously I'd prefer the fans to follow the FOXES instead, but given our present circumstances it's not entirely surprising they choose not to do so.

In Burnley as elsewhere it would be a positive move, socially and commercially, if more of the local Asian community could be attracted to games.

But with the likes of Sajid Mahmood and Amir Khan as local role models, perhaps that task would be more difficult.

I'm one of the few Indian's that supports Lesstah. Asians do like football and most of them support premiership teams. cos the bottom line is that they think (quite rightly) lesstah are shite.

i dont know why i support lesstah but i was born in lesstah so feel that this is my team.

i make up for it by also supporting Milan AC. and whilst i will spend money and go to the San Siro i have not watched the foxes in a few years.

Slightly off topic, but Khalsa Youth were a bunch of cheating bastards! :P

We used to play in the same league as them and they were notorious for fielding players considerably older than the age group. :P

Ha, Ha, tell me about about!!! :D GNG are no better, but in saying that there are many teams doing the same, it's common practice in my experience. I used to play for Aylestone Imps and our league winning team had 3 overaged players and when we were really short of players, there could be many more!!!!

I suppose the question for Burnley is the usual, how much will it cost and how much will it make.

I don't have strong feelings either way. I'd love more fans at the games and couldn't really care less what their ethnic background is. Similarly I'd love our youth system to start producing quality players and again not really fussed on the players ethnicity. The feeling at ourside seems to be that the reason they don't come is because of racist chanting and abuse though these days you almost never hear racist chanting - almost but not quite. Not so sure on how the few asians who do come are treated so that may be a big barrier still I can't honestly say.

Ha, Ha, tell me about about!!! :D GNG are no better, but in saying that there are many teams doing the same, it's common practice in my experience. I used to play for Aylestone Imps and our league winning team had 3 overaged players and when we were really short of players, there could be many more!!!!

SSsshhh!! This could count as evidence mate! :whistle:

....Now where do I place my 1000'th post?? :ph34r:

Archived