Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Points out of 10 for Kelly signings

If Rob Kelly is going to remain as manager should a new investor arrive, he will, presumably, be given opportunity to raid the transfer market.

But what of his signings so far. McAuley and Kenton have have good fans ratings so far, Sheffield Wednesday excepted, but what's the general feeling about his performance as a first team talent spotter?

He's got an eye for a defender, that's for sure... his other outfield players have been indifferent. Low started well but has gone right off the boil. Welsh is a useful winger and I think he could do well given the chance (I reckon Rob's first signing with some cash might indeed be Welsh). Johnson has little use, really.

I'd say 6/10 so far - two solid defenders, one poor midfielder, one average winger and one above-average winger. I think Rob might be better off raiding another club's academy than taking their first team players... just a though.

3/10.

He may have signed two solid defenders, but we already had those positions sorted. The midfield was the problem last season, we all knew that and yet it remains a major problem 3 months into the season because Kelly chose to focus on strengthening an already decent enough defence. I can only think that he signed the two players to allow defenders to push on into midfield, which would give us more security when under pressure. That soon failed two matches into the season and gets no marks from me for that kind of negative thinking.

Johnson and Low are dreadful, dreadful players at this level.

The loan of Andy Welsh for a second time was bizarre, and strikes me as desperatation after failing to find a striker. Again, he doesn't look better than what we already have in that position (Tiatto, Porter).

Thinking about it now, perhaps 3 was being kind. :|

Kenton - reasonable, but he was a Levein pLayer.

McAuley - still looks lower league, only looks a player when Kisnorbo is about.

Low - he should be fired for him alone, he is worse than Junior Lewis and that takes some doing.

Johnson - I said he was a cronic signing the day he arrived and now not one person has a decent word to say about him.

Bearing in mind we are still in the bottom half and have a serious midfield problem I would say he has failed big time.

D-

One feels compelled to point out *again* that maybe, just maybe, none of Kelly's signings would be who he would have picked had he got a bit of cash to splash.

Considering the salary he could offer and the signing on fees available, this was probably the best of the bunch going. I've not heard of any better playing lighting up the league that were up for less during the summer, have any of you?

Crock of shite or not, the players we picked up amply demonstrate the need for investment in the playing staff...which neatly leads me on to saying we need a businessman who will invest so that he can increase the worth of his holding. I wonder if anyone fitting that description would be interested in little old Leicester City FC? :unsure:

It's all ok with hindsight, how many people on here were jumping for joy when we signed Johnson though? About 90% of you from memory. It just hasn't worked out how Rob or us would have liked.

McCauley and Kenton were both Levein watched players, Rob may have had a hand in reccommending them. But we will never know. Some have complained that we were already sorted in the defence, for me McCauley has looked twice the player Gerrbrand ever did.

Low has been out of his depth. It's a gamble signing players from lower leagues, but it can work and McCauley has proved that. Low was in the team of the season for his division, it was a risk worth taking but maybe not on a long contract!!!

Welsh, I quite like the lad to be honest. In flashes he is the best winger we have. If he can perform for 90 minutes instead of the 40 he currently does then i'll be happy.

It's all ok with hindsight, how many people on here were jumping for joy when we signed Johnson though? About 90% of you from memory. It just hasn't worked out how Rob or us would have liked.

McCauley and Kenton were both Levein watched players, Rob may have had a hand in reccommending them. But we will never know. Some have complained that we were already sorted in the defence, for me McCauley has looked twice the player Gerrbrand ever did.

Low has been out of his depth. It's a gamble signing players from lower leagues, but it can work and McCauley has proved that. Low was in the team of the season for his division, it was a risk worth taking but maybe not on a long contract!!!

Welsh, I quite like the lad to be honest. In flashes he is the best winger we have. If he can perform for 90 minutes instead of the 40 he currently does then i'll be happy.

That's pretty much what I was going to say. I still think, as I did at the time, that he focused on the wrong positions but to be fair my main concerns were a holding midfielder, which we addressed with Johnson, and left wing, which hasn't been as much of a problem as right wing this season.

If Rob Kelly is going to remain as manager should a new investor arrive, he will, presumably, be given opportunity to raid the transfer market.

But what of his signings so far. McAuley and Kenton have have good fans ratings so far, Sheffield Wednesday excepted, but what's the general feeling about his performance as a first team talent spotter?

I think he's done very well with no funds what so ever available to him so top marks to Rob there.

I'll just be interested to see how he will do with the money as apposed to without it, and I hope he takes that advantage should an investor/owner/whatever come in and hand him the cash.

The general consensus is that he's done alright even though he's been forced to strengthen the areas we were already competent at because we haven't the resources to strengthen where we need it? Is this correct?

If so, it's either panicking, or bringing in players for the sake of bringing in players.

kenton 5 average defender and will never be anything more than that.

mccauley 6 potentially good but seem to remember gerbrand getting similar ratings and then going off. lacks pace.

johnson 2 simply past it.surely we could have done better.

low 3 not good enough at this level

welsh 5 again mr average.

also what concerns me is that many of the players we have been linked with have either been known to kelly or played for us before eg kenton and welsh and didn't overly impress then. how wide are his contacts? I'm not sure he has the potential to pull a rabbit out of the hat like o'neill did with Izzet.

averages just over 4 out of 10 so far for me.

I can't say any of our signings excited me when they were announced and after the first quarter of the season I'm even more disappointed.

McAuley looks okay at times but I've always wondered why he's not been snapped up before for higher football and just occasionally I've seen a glimpse of the answer - his lack of pace. Still, giving him the benefit of the doubt he's earned so far with more good than bad performances I'd rate him a 7.

Darren Kenton may be quite versatile and is certainly a committed tackler but he's another not blessed wih great pace and has never threatened to add the attacking aspect we desperately need from a full-back.

Watch Manchester United and look how far Gary Neville gets forward to support attacks - and ten consider how vital that ability was when Beckham played in front of him. Can we possibly get a Championship version of that from Kenton. No.

So, seeing we had two perfectly capable right backs in Stearman/Maybury and three centre-backs plus Nils as cover what was the point is signing Kenton? Answer earns 0 (zero) although Kenton is probably worth 6 as a versatile defensive player.

Josh Low was signed as an out and out right winger because Syla had been so disappointing and no-one else was trusted in the role. We desperately needed goals and assists from this position and have we got them. No. Thererefore the effect of the signing is worth 0. Low as a player looks out of his depth.

Andrew Johnson was clearly popular at West Brom and came here to help Weso with the holding role. Put simply, the move has failed miserably. There are varied opinions about players like Sylla, Hughes, Kenton but the verdict on Johnson seems unanimous. Effect 0.

Finally Andy Welsh. I thought he and Porter might share wing duties or that Welsh would give Porter more opportunity to move into midfield but it seems Welsh has been brought in to replace Porter (rumoured to have been disciplined) which makes me laugh. Welsh is not in the same class as Porter overall.

Yes, he's a fairly positive genuine winger. More efective that Low from what I've seen. But he's soon neutralised and when that happens we lose possession easily. Welsh is nothing like as good a support player as Porter nor can he retain possession as well. So far this season I'd rate him 5, which I think is being generous.

What does that amount to: Total marks for five signings 12/50. It realy isn't inspiring but worst of all the big question I always ask about about signings is: "Can they do anything well, and certainly better than the players we've got." The answer is no.

He has done ok with Kenton and McAuley. Both are dependable players and are definitely good enough to play with some quality at this level.

Johnson and low on the other hand were terrible signings and seemed to be based on reputation. Yes Johnson may have been quite good 4/5 years ago but when did he play for WBA last season. Low really should not have been signed, just because he played ok in league 2 last season does not mean he will settle here.

Overall, Kelly has had his hands tied because of the money so I am not prepared to rate him until he gets his hands on some cash.

kenton 5 average defender and will never be anything more than that.

mccauley 6 potentially good but seem to remember gerbrand getting similar ratings and then going off. lacks pace.

johnson 2 simply past it.surely we could have done better.

low 3 not good enough at this level

welsh 5 again mr average.

also what concerns me is that many of the players we have been linked with have either been known to kelly or played for us before eg kenton and welsh and didn't overly impress then. how wide are his contacts? I'm not sure he has the potential to pull a rabbit out of the hat like o'neill did with Izzet.

averages just over 4 out of 10 so far for me.

What was the main criteria for shoe-horning him in to the Levein team?

Oh yes, Dim Tim said it was because he had an extensive knowledge of English league football <_<

I just realized Johnson only has a contract for this season, and Low is in fact only contracted for this season and next.

I was under the impression they had 2 and 3 seasons respectively.

Phew. :sweating:

Well I'm a little happier now... at least if Johnson continues to be shit and Wesolowski continues to look like a premiership centre midfielder, he will just be let go. ;)

As for Low, we could always loan him out if Sylla can make himself useful on a regular basis. ;)

Archived