Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Southern Fox Home

Poor Rob Kelly

I dont want to protect Rob Kelly but lets face it for a manager with little experience and for someone that was asked if he wanted the job, this job at Leicester isnt easy.

Everyone on this forum has an opinion, mostly different adn thats whats its all about.

I went yesterday adn yes its takes me 3 hours to get home to Kent and let me tell you it feels a whole lot longer of late.

But it also gives you plenty of thinking time.

What else or what players can we do or use differently.

The team is underperforming. We have no money not even for a loan. I dont think for one moment bringing Andy Welsh back was a good bit of business but I also think we may have got a cheap deal off of Sunderland as we had him last season and our financial state. If it wasnt for Welsh we probably wouldnt have been able to get anyone in.

It has been frustrating. The referee who I thought started the game excellently changed the game with 2 poor decisions. I didnt think it was a penalty. I was in the kop. And I didnt think it was a red card.

For 15minutes after their 2nd goal we played good football and started to dominate play and apply pressure. My annoyance is why for the first half did we not reach those levels. Not one player inspired me. The kop was like a morgue.

Is this Kelly or is this the players not giving enough. I dont want to see fight and determination at 2-0 down with 10 men. I want to see this from the off, from that very first challenge.

We are poor at the moment but in my opinion the squad is poor. Both Paddys are shadows of their former selfs from last season - that is a fact. I used to say to my dad last season that on their day they are the best in this league. That has gone of late.

I just feel that Rob Kelly is getting a hard time. Im not saying sometimes his tactics and selections have a been incorrect but this is an inexperienced manager trying to pick a decent 11 out of around 15/16 pretty average players. Is Hughes, Williams, Sylla, Low, Porter, Maybury, Johansson, Fryatt, Hammond any better than average. Average isnt good enough to be in a better league position.

I will say it. If another Manager was in charge, Levein, Adams or even Taylor we would still be where we are with this crop of players. Its just the way the club is at the moment.

I think ROb is doing his best. It may not be to everyones liking but making a hasty change wont stop the rot. I think MM will bring in a replacement and I will fully back that decision as I think it will be right for the club but all this Kelly Out stuff is nonsense. He is pciking the best 11 available but sadly our best 11 is pretty shite.

Adios

I dont want to protect Rob Kelly but lets face it for a manager with little experience and for someone that was asked if he wanted the job, this job at Leicester isnt easy.

Everyone on this forum has an opinion, mostly different adn thats whats its all about.

I went yesterday adn yes its takes me 3 hours to get home to Kent and let me tell you it feels a whole lot longer of late.

The team is underperforming. We have no money not even for a loan. I dont think for one moment bringing Andy Welsh back was a good bit of business but I also think we may have got a cheap deal off of Sunderland as we had him last season and our financial state. If it wasnt for Welsh we probably wouldnt have been able to get anyone in.

It has been frustrating. The referee who I thought started the game excellently changed the game with 2 poor decisions. I didnt think it was a penalty. I was in the kop. And I didnt think it was a red card.

For 15minutes after their 2nd goal we played good football and started to dominate play and apply pressure. My annoyance is why for the first half did we not reach those levels. Not one player inspired me. The kop was like a morgue.

Is this Kelly or is this the players not giving enough. I dont want to see fight and determination at 2-0 down with 10 men. I want to see this from the off, from that very first challenge.

We are poor at the moment but in my opinion the squad is poor. Both Paddys are shadows of their former selfs from last season - that is a fact. I used to say to my dad last season that on their day they are the best in this league. That has gone of late.

I just feel that Rob Kelly is getting a hard time. Im not saying sometimes his tactics and selections have a been incorrect but this is an inexperienced manager trying to pick a decent 11 out of around 15/16 pretty average players. Is Hughes, Williams, Sylla, Low, Porter, Maybury, Johansson, Fryatt, Hammond any better than average. Average isnt good enough to be in a better league position.

I will say it. If another Manager was in charge, Levein, Adams or even Taylor we would still be where we are with this crop of players. Its just the way the club is at the moment.

I think ROb is doing his best. It may not be to everyones liking but making a hasty change wont stop the rot. I think MM will bring in a replacement and I will fully back that decision as I think it will be right for the club but all this Kelly Out stuff is nonsense. He is pciking the best 11 available but sadly our best 11 is pretty shite.

Adios

Kind words but the flaw is in your last sentence.

Kelly never picks our best available team to win a football match - not once.

Low right wing. Maybury left-back. Fryatt when he's not fit. The list is endless.

continuing to pick low when even the supporters can see he is not good enough at all at this level shows he has serious managerial flaws.

on the championship this morning it showed low being the player responsible for giving their player the chance to claim a penalty decision , just like it was low who made the mistake that allowed villa to score the deciding goal in our cup match recently.

low = liability hmmmm a good nickname , lowability :thumbup:

I'm afraid your in the minority, which isn't always a bad thing!! But if you compare CL to RK, nothing much has changed, the football is still dour, and I don't think RK has made the most of what he's has and has been given, even though it may not be much.

Rk, may be still learning his trade, i'm afraid our club isn't a 'test' club for inexperienced managers!!

Kind words but the flaw is in your last sentence.

Kelly never picks our best available team to win a football match - not once.

Low right wing. Maybury left-back. Fryatt when he's not fit. The list is endless.

But thats cos the squad is crap. I promise Im not trying to defend him its just how it seems.

Who else plays right wing? I hate Josh Low but look at the bench. Please dont harp on about the youth team I would like a sensible answer.

Maybury isnt great there but week in and week out I criticise Johansson for pace and clumbsiness.

Fryatt isnt fit true - but how does he get fit with no reserve matches. He needs match time. The other option is Elvis who isnt good enough at this level. Nor is COG.

I understand your critisim of him but it isnt a easy job at the moment

continuing to pick low when even the supporters can see he is not good enough at all at this level shows he has serious managerial flaws.

on the championship this morning it showed low being the player responsible for giving their player the chance to claim a penalty decision , just like it was low who made the mistake that allowed villa to score the deciding goal in our cup match recently.

low = liability hmmmm a good nickname , lowability :thumbup:

I agree.

I welcome the desicion when he takes him off but yesterday we had nothing on the bench. Williams isnt ready so if we play hughes on the right we dont have a central midfielder to cover.

If we play Porter on the right and Welsh on the left then we tear into Welsh for being utter crap.

The problem is the quality of the squad we have to play from

id prefer sylla or maybury , who played there last season with stearman behind him and it worked then to a player who does not just make up the numbers but detracts in my opinion. not his fault of course , its kellys for continuing to picking a player who he brought in who is not good enough in any respect at this level.

I'm afraid your in the minority, which isn't always a bad thing!! But if you compare CL to RK, nothing much has changed, the football is still dour, and I don't think RK has made the most of what he's has and has been given, even though it may not be much.

Rk, may be still learning his trade, i'm afraid our club isn't a 'test' club for inexperienced managers!!

The football is dour. It is so boring it actually pains me to watch at the moment. I find myself picking up the programme half way through the game and having a little read. What the hell am I doing?? But it drives you to this.

If this club isnt a test for taking on inexperienced managers then have a word with the board that took him on. Rob Kelly always maintained that he was a coach and was happy doing this role.

Adios

Weak kneed and sentimental, more importantly I can think of one guy who was sitting in the stand yesterday who won't be interested in sharing those views. Thankfully.

id prefer sylla or maybury , who played there last season with stearman behind him and it worked then to a player who does not just make up the numbers but detracts in my opinion. not his fault of course , its kellys for continuing to picking a player who he brought in who is not good enough in any respect at this level.

Sylla for some reason cant be fit. There is no way he wouldnt have been included.

If you play Maybury there, then you have the situation where everyone is moaning that we have a team of fullbacks. Maybe you were not one of them but it is always written on this site that playing full backs in midfield is a no - no.

Look Im not trying to have a me - the rest. Im just saying the squad is really poor at the moment and picking a good 11 is bloody difficult.

But thats cos the squad is crap. I promise Im not trying to defend him its just how it seems.

Who else plays right wing? I hate Josh Low but look at the bench. Please dont harp on about the youth team I would like a sensible answer.

Maybury isnt great there but week in and week out I criticise Johansson for pace and clumbsiness.

Fryatt isnt fit true - but how does he get fit with no reserve matches. He needs match time. The other option is Elvis who isnt good enough at this level. Nor is COG.

I understand your critisim of him but it isnt a easy job at the moment

Considering ex-youth team players occupy the top spots in player ratings over the last month I think that's wholly uncalled for but that apart, the entirely sensible answer if you've not got a player to fit a system is to change the system.

We are lucky in that Porter or Hammond can always provide some width - so could Andy King if selected - and there's Stearman and Tiatto (if played there) from the back or midfield. So 4-3-3 is perfectly feasible.

It's time Kelly ruled out politics and shop window dressing and picked a team which suits our requirements and the players we've got. And, while we're on the subjct of wingers, youth team or not, Gradel is by far our most dangerous winger if you're going to play one, temperamental or not.

And he scores the sort of goals Sylla can only dream of and certainly doesn't have the technique to ever execute except by some lucky accident.

Considering ex-youth team players occupy the top spots in player ratings over the last month I think that's wholly uncalled for but that apart, the entirely sensible answer if you've not got a player to fit a system is to change the system.

We are lucky in that Porter or Hammond can always provide some width - so could Andy King if selected - and there's Stearman and Tiatto (if played there) from the back or midfield. So 4-3-3 is perfectly feasible.

It's time Kelly ruled out politics and shop window dressing and picked a team which suits our requirements and the players we've got. And, while we're on the subjct of wingers, youth team or not, Gradel is by far our most dangerous winger if you're going to play one, temperamental or not.

And he scores the sort of goals Sylla can only dream of and certainly doesn't have the technique to ever execute.

I dont know enough about the youth team to comment on how good they are and certainly not as well as you. Becasue you push it so hard day in day out I find it hard to take you seriously thats all pal. Im sure you know better than most.

I dont want to put a dampner on the player ratings but the majority of peope of the forum and of the younger generation that will sway the voting towards the younger/more comparable to themselves players.

Your point is valid though. Perhaps with what we have got the fornmation isnt right. I keep saying I wouldnt mind seeing 3-5-2.

Strong centrally at the back. Any extra body in midfield where lets be fair we always lose the battle and wingbacks of Stearman and Tiatto perhaps.

Just an idea.

Everyone is being very verbose on this issue...my opinion is quite succinct:**** Rob Kelly.

We aren't agreeing much lately, but this is something I share the same view and opinion with you on :thumbup: Rob Kelly has had his chance, blew it and is officially worse than CL now. Surely this cannot go on forever. Andy Robinson realised he was piss poor as England Head Coach (albeit in egg-chasing at the highest level) and did the decent thing - stepped down to allow them to progress. Kelly should follow suit.

One thing's for sure. If I advocated a 4-3-3 system and had the opportunity to put it into practice - but then found we were almost bottom of the table or had lost every League game for more than a month - I would have the humility to think again.

Kelly knows right wing is a problem. That's apparent cos he changes his choice of right winger like his socks yet has never given his real right winger the sniff of a chance.

So knowing you've not got a winger you've either got to rectify the problem or change your system. Glaringly obvious.

Stearman's best position is as a defensive midfield player. That's where he should play, at least until Weso returns.

The central midfield has been our biggest liability in recent games. The Tiatto-Hughes combination has proved incapable of either providing a service for the wide men or strikers or a shield for the back four. There is simply no way that Wednesday should have scored three times from long range. They should have been closed down.

Those who said that Darren Kenton was an unnecessary signing have been proved wrong in no uncertain terms. We've missed him badly in recent weeks and did so again yesterday.

And up front Louis Dodds has to be given a go. Fryatt and Hammond are totally bereft of confidence and need a break from the firing line.

But most importantly of all, Kelly must resume the attacking formula which brought him such success in his early weeks.

It's the ONLY hope he has of ending the losing streak and giving himself any chance of keeping his job.

One thing's for sure. If I advocated a 4-3-3 system and had the opportunity to put it into practice - but then found we were almost bottom of the table or had lost every League game for more than a month - I would have the humility to think again.

Kelly knows right wing is a problem. That's apparent cos he changeas his choice of right winger like his socks yet has never given his real right winger the sniff of a chance.

So knowing you've not got a winger you've either got to rectify the problem or change your system. Glaringly obvious.

Id say this season, that we have had problems in many positions not just right wing. Goalkeeper, Left back, Central Midfield, Left Wing and another striker position.

Pretty plain sailing season hey

I dont know enough about the youth team to comment on how good they are and certainly not as well as you. Becasue you push it so hard day in day out I find it hard to take you seriously thats all pal. Im sure you know better than most.

I dont want to put a dampner on the player ratings but the majority of peope of the forum and of the younger generation that will sway the voting towards the younger/more comparable to themselves players.

Your point is valid though. Perhaps with what we have got the fornmation isnt right. I keep saying I wouldnt mind seeing 3-5-2.

Strong centrally at the back. Any extra body in midfield where lets be fair we always lose the battle and wingbacks of Stearman and Tiatto perhaps.

Just an idea.

... and a very good one. I think we have the players for a 4-3-3 or a 3-5-2 but not for a 4-4-2. :ph34r::whistle::unsure::huh:

Kelly knows right wing is a problem. That's apparent cos he changeas his choice of right winger like his socks yet has never given his real right winger the sniff of a chance.

:thumbup:

I know you're not saying this, but it relates to the point about the right wing. Right wing is not the main problem. It's a problem, but it's not an important position. The important positions are down the spine of the team, and specifically in central midfield. Until we buy, loan, promote or pick someone who can do what Andy Johnson was supposedly brought in to do, we will always be chasing shadows in midfield and letting teams who are nothing special dictate games on our own turf.

Stearman's best position is as a defensive midfield player. That's where he should play, at least until Weso returns.

Stearman has only looked good in the position alongside Weso though. :huh::ph34r:

Stearman has only looked good in the position alongside Weso though. :huh::ph34r:

I disagree. Stearman can do a very good job there whoever he is playing with. Im my opinion he is the only City squad player that has the engine but the guile as well to carry off that role.

Weso is promising but is still overated on this site.

if RK wasn't so negative he would get more suuport from me, the side is poor but we seem to be playing for 1 - 0 victories when our defense just isn't good enough for that.

Losing but being positive is not ideal but losing and being negative is much worse as i can't see a way out of it.

I personally can't see RK ever moving away from 442 so i think the best you can hope for is a slight variant on that perhaps a diamond. I have no idea why we persist with wingers when we don't have any good ones in the first team.

Logan is a solid enoguh keeper

Stearman needs to play RB and not be moved around, Kisnorbo, McCualy and Nissa (who is the best LB we have and can be reasonbly solid but doesn't really offer anything going forward.

Porter, Tiatto, Johnson and Hughes. I'm not at all happy about that mdifeld (Hguhes and Johnson) but seeing as weso, sylla and Williams are all unfir i'm not sure who else to play. i'd play a diamond with porter at the top, Johnson protecting the back 4, which he is probably not up too.

Hume and i'm gonig to be controvesial DeVries up front, Fryatt is unfit Hammond is rubbish. Wanting Devries back pretty much says it all about this side really doesn't it?

this is depressing

I repeat for those saying the players aren't good enough and as JonBlueFox has posted better palyers are out there.

For those that say this is not RK's team, are you the same ones that say he had influence over the signing of McCarthy, Hume, Fryatt, Johansson possibly Henderson & Hammond "because Levein wouldn't have know these players very well".

With the signing of Johnson, Low, Kenton, McCaule,Tiatto and Welsh that makes possible 12 players he has signed directly or had influence on.

Henderson

Kenton McCarthy McCauley Johnasson

Low Johnson Tiatto Welsh

Fryatt Hume

Spare - Hammond

Adios

Ultimately its the managers job to make the players want to play the buck stops with him, if the players arent up for it at kick off then yes its the manager.

Archived